ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 18   Go Down

Author Topic: If one line array is good, 2 must be better right?  (Read 57102 times)

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
Re: If one line array is good, 2 must be better right?
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2016, 08:59:46 AM »

A couple of points ...

1) If you have two separate sources – one for vocals and one for the band there is no interference between the two arrays … theatre sound systems have been doing this for year…

Correct. I missed the post about the vocal/band split.
I don't care enough to be apathetic

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2016, 09:52:45 AM »

More pointless speculation by folks that don't know the gig or the rig.  Bah fucking humbug.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Lee Buckalew

• Classic LAB
  • St. Louis, MO area
    • Pro Sound Advice, Inc.
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2016, 10:33:56 AM »

A couple of points ...

1) If you have two separate sources – one for vocals and one for the band there is no interference between the two arrays … theatre sound systems have been doing this for year…

2) The MLA is not really a line array and because of the way it works the output from each of the transducers sums in a very constructive way. The system can achieve very precise coverage and SPL. If you have ever had a play with a MLA system (and I have been that fortunate) … it’s like magic.

To reinforce Peters first point.
Dual or A, B systems where one system is used for vocals and one for band or even A, B, C systems where one is used for the band and vocalists are alternated between two different vocal systems so that no two performers singing in close proximity to each other come through the same speaker system, have been used in live theatre for decades.  This is not dependent on speaker design (point source, clusters, line arrays, speakers with no speaker boxes)  but on system design. 
Dave Rat has often hung A, B line array systems for his clients.  I have even seen churches hang A, B systems.  It really is done a lot.

Now, to Peters second point.  MLA is not a line array, it is a Multicellular Loudspeaker Array utilizing multicellular drive.  It creates a complex point source that is truly phenomenal in it's capabilities not only for the results in the actual environment but also for how accurately the software predicts the actual results that will be achieved (+- 0.5 dB between prediction and result is typical). The resolution of both the software and the actual system are unparalleled.

Lee
Lee Buckalew
Pro Sound Advice, Inc.

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • Tulsa, Oklahoma
    • My homepage
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2016, 11:39:39 AM »

Who agrees to pay for something like this?  That's 36 more boxes plus amps and processing, not to mention motors and labor.  And for what, a marginally better better mix?  Seems like fiscal irresponsibility to me.
I'm 99% sure that the client never speced an A-B/dual line array system . The production company that won the bid on the show won because they submitted the low bid for the size of the gig that they had. After that, everything they brought and set up was up to them. And if their head sound nerd wanted to bring two sets of speakers and amps and processing and run twice as much cable for the same amount of money as a single hang each side; Well, that's up to them.
Justice C. Bigler
Business Rep, IATSE Local 354
www.justicebigler.com

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • Tulsa, Oklahoma
    • My homepage
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2016, 11:41:58 AM »

MLA is not a line array, it is a Multicellular Loudspeaker Array utilizing multicellular drive.  It creates a complex point source that is truly phenomenal in it's capabilities not only for the results in the actual environment but also for how accurately the software predicts the actual results that will be achieved (+- 0.5 dB between prediction and result is typical). The resolution of both the software and the actual system are unparalleled.

Wow! Is that straight out of their marketing literature?   ::)
Justice C. Bigler
Business Rep, IATSE Local 354
www.justicebigler.com

Peter Morris

« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2016, 11:52:30 AM »

I'm 99% sure that the client never speced an A-B/dual line array system . The production company that won the bid on the show won because they submitted the low bid for the size of the gig that they had. After that, everything they brought and set up was up to them. And if their head sound nerd wanted to bring two sets of speakers and amps and processing and run twice as much cable for the same amount of money as a single hang each side; Well, that's up to them.

... the MLA is self powered  :) .... no additional amps and processing

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2016, 11:54:12 AM »

The festival has used dual PA in the past but with JBL VerTec.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Peter Morris

« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2016, 11:57:07 AM »

not really ... I have helped to set one up and measured it ... it does what they say.

« Last Edit: May 14, 2016, 12:03:50 PM by Peter Morris »

Lee Buckalew

• Classic LAB
  • St. Louis, MO area
    • Pro Sound Advice, Inc.
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2016, 12:14:48 PM »

Not even a little.  I don't believe that any marketing literature claims it to be a complex directional point source.  It does not function as a point source at the boxes it sums at the listening plane(s) to give that result at the listener, not at the array.  I was merely trying to show the precision of the system. 

MLA actually does what is claimed.  As R&D continues I think Martin will continue to make significant advances in the measurement and application of FIR and affecting vector summation which will continue to push the envelope for both themselves and for other manufacturers and researchers.

Lee
Lee Buckalew
Pro Sound Advice, Inc.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2016, 12:14:48 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 18   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.05 seconds with 25 queries.