ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 18   Go Down

Author Topic: If one line array is good, 2 must be better right?  (Read 36096 times)

eric lenasbunt

• Bunt Backline Event Services, LLC
Re: If one line array is good, 2 must be better right?
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2016, 01:51:21 pm »

Who agrees to pay for something like this?  That's 36 more boxes plus amps and processing, not to mention motors and labor.  And for what, a marginally better better mix?  Seems like fiscal irresponsibility to me.

When you sell that many tickets you pay for enough rig for the gig. I imagine there are delay towers and all sorts of other PA too. I don't know how else you would propose to give that many people a concert experience, but people paying big $ expect big sound, not the promoter or audio guys trying to be "fiscally responsible" or bringing the smallest amount of PA they can get away with.

Doug Fowler

• Member since May 1995, 2nd poster on original LAB, moderator on and off since 1997, now running TurboMOD v1.826
  • Administrator
  • Saint Louis, MO USA
« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2016, 02:06:54 pm »

"being readied".

That means "not yet flown to trim".

"Flown to trim" means hoisted to the correct height, specified by the "prediction software".

When it is "flown to trim" I expect the bottom box to hit just past the "barricade".

It is possible there will also be "front fills", which would be normal for a gigantic gig such as this.

RHCP pays for something like this.  Dave Rat has done this for RHCP tour(s).
"It's got electrolytes.  It's got what plants crave."

Lee Buckalew

• Classic LAB
  • St. Louis, MO area
    • Pro Sound Advice, Inc.
« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2016, 03:27:20 pm »

When you sell that many tickets you pay for enough rig for the gig. I imagine there are delay towers and all sorts of other PA too. I don't know how else you would propose to give that many people a concert experience, but people paying big $ expect big sound, not the promoter or audio guys trying to be "fiscally responsible" or bringing the smallest amount of PA they can get away with.

There may be delay towers but I doubt it.  I don't know details on this years system but last years hang was MLA w/MLD with no delay towers, 426' deep audience area.  There were front/lip fills provided on top of the ground stacked subs.  MLA does not require delay fills in most situations out to well beyond this distance. 

Lee
Lee Buckalew
Pro Sound Advice, Inc.

Peter Morris

« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2016, 11:38:17 pm »

There you go - as noted above, flown to trim height at 16m with one stack for vocals the other for the band - subs in the middle
« Last Edit: May 15, 2016, 03:16:11 am by Peter Morris »

eric lenasbunt

• Bunt Backline Event Services, LLC
« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2016, 06:38:09 am »

There may be delay towers but I doubt it.  I don't know details on this years system but last years hang was MLA w/MLD with no delay towers, 426' deep audience area.  There were front/lip fills provided on top of the ground stacked subs.  MLA does not require delay fills in most situations out to well beyond this distance. 

Lee

That is super impressive to do that size crowd without towers.

Thomas Le

« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2016, 07:17:14 am »

Here's a YouTube video on their system in 2014, explaining their system in brief: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkorgFT4yYA

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2016, 07:57:37 am »

That is super impressive to do that size crowd without towers.
They did Woodstock without dealy towers  ;D ;D
Has anyone heard a rig with vocals and band as separate systems?
Is it worth the extra expanse and work?
I don't care enough to be apathetic

Merlijn van Veen

• www.merlijnvanveen.nl
If one line array is good, 2 must be better right?
« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2016, 08:36:07 am »

Has anyone heard a rig with vocals and band as separate systems?
Is it worth the extra expanse and work?

The musical industry has embraced AB systems for decades and in a way so has Hollywood with the dedicated center channel.

It's a tried and tested way of dealing with crosstalk and the resultant worst case of comb filtering that occurs when signals are combined in the electronic domain of our mixing consoles. The mixing console acts like a single lane one way street with maximum interaction. From then on the signals are irreversibly intertwined.

If you converse with someone while standing next to a reflective wall, you're still very intelligible because the triangulation between you as the source, your virtual mirror image at the opposite side of the wall and our respective ears is different. The summation occurs at the eardrum where direct and reflected first meet. But each ear perceives different degrees of comb filtering because of the physical displacement between you and your mirror image and the blanks are filled in by our brains.

However once the damage is done in the electronic domain and then reproduced by a single transducer, both ears perceive the same information. "Data restoration" is no longer possible.

When it comes to concerts, I've on only seen U2 360deg and was very impressed about the performance. Disclaimer, not all sides of the "claw" featured double hangs.

Dave Rat has toured with an AB system for RHCP as well.

Some musicals that I've seen also made use of an AB or even ABC system with dual center channels and again it worked very well.

« Last Edit: May 15, 2016, 08:39:38 am by Merlijn van Veen »

John L Nobile

« Reply #28 on: May 15, 2016, 09:04:43 am »

That looks very impressive. I was looking at their site and they claim control down to 150 hz. Is that possible for a horn that size or is that just a suggestion?

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #29 on: May 15, 2016, 10:23:04 am »

ACTUALLY-they had delay towers at Woodstock (the original).

But they were not used.  The promoters did not want to pay for the rental of the tape recorder needed for the delay time.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: May 15, 2016, 10:23:04 am »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 18   Go Up

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 24 queries.