ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Yamaha SWP-1 Dante switch video  (Read 3264 times)

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
Yamaha SWP-1 Dante switch video
« on: May 13, 2016, 03:36:57 PM »

This video just popped up on my Facebook page. It has a pretty clear explanation of Dante routing and necessary network control.

Mac

Andrew Broughton

• Check Check One Two
Re: Yamaha SWP-1 Dante switch video
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2016, 11:37:23 AM »

What a great video! Even if you're not buying one of these, it explains better than I've seen before about Unicast/Multicast.
Yamaha really should have had this back when the Rios and CL/QL consoles were rolled out. Every issue I've ever had with the RIO/CL setup was network related, and I can see how much easier it makes the networking side.
-Andy

"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle..."

http://www.checkcheckonetwo.com
Saving lives through Digital Audio, Programming and Electronics.

Matthew Knischewsky

• Kitchener Ontario Canada
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2016, 05:13:42 PM »

What a great video! Even if you're not buying one of these, it explains better than I've seen before about Unicast/Multicast.
Yamaha really should have had this back when the Rios and CL/QL consoles were rolled out. Every issue I've ever had with the RIO/CL setup was network related, and I can see how much easier it makes the networking side.

Agree 100%

Chris Johnson [UK]

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2016, 07:36:06 AM »

Its a nice rundown, and I agree that a lot of Dante issues i see are actually down to network configuration.

The biggest problem for me though, is that you really need to understand IP networking at a moderately advanced level to be getting into this stuff, and although products that obfuscate the networking element to make operation simpler are great for those who don't have some IT training, I would suggest that they lead to problems in the long term when operators don't understand whats going on under the hood, and that if you want to be a system tech in this industry, you better brush up on the current technology or you'll be left behind quick!

I'm pushing a lot of guys I work with to do CompTIA Network+. It costs less that a Smaaart license, and will give you the knowledge you need to understand and effectively troubleshoot these issues
Riedel Communications

Miguel Dahl

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2019, 09:24:31 AM »

Resurrecting an old thread to keep info in the same place for people who do the same search as me..

Is anyone using these? My company is looking for new switches primarily used for dante.

I'm leaning more towards the SG-350, my boss is leaning a bit towards the Yamaha, because of simplicity. But I'm thinking about the $$$ more than him I guess.

How I see it:

The Yamaha is way more expensive, the "Dante Optimized" pitch I guess is just turn off EEE, turn on IGMP-snooping etc on the SG-350.

The SG-350 would need to have all the ports laid out onto a panel, the ethercon-plugs and manhours to do this costs money.
But still the Yamaha would also need to have the plugs on the rear laid on on a panel on the front, so same as above. I don't wanna need to fiddle around in the back of a rack, if it's a tight space it's against the wall maybe etc.

Yamaha has dip-switches to configure premade VLANs, but to be honest if you're out on a job you probably have the time to boot up the laptop which you'll probably do anyway, and just load a new preset-file into the SG-350.
But the overview window in the Yamaha seems nice, although you get the same info but in a different gui from dante-units in dante controller. If one want to monitor non-dante units one still have to have the software up for either switches.

Also there a fiber on the yamaha, but we will probably not be using fiber for several years just because we don't do jobs that big which needs more than 75m of network. So it's paying money for something we don't need, right now at least.

« Last Edit: March 04, 2019, 09:26:45 AM by Miguel Dahl »

Rick Earl

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2019, 11:10:58 AM »

Yamaha didn't have Patrick when those consoles rolled out.  He is a tremendous resource, and a nice guy who gets it.  Having a network expert with a music background is a huge help.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2019, 11:10:58 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 24 queries.