ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 17   Go Down

Author Topic: PA Speakers Recommendation (live band)  (Read 55630 times)

Thomas Le

Re: PA Speakers Recommendation (live band)
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2016, 03:31:54 PM »

I use a pair of PRX710's, easily handle 100 people indoors and handles vocals really good with my EW135 rig. No subs though, haven't bought the PRX715XLF yet which I heard compliments the PRX710's. My next test will be outdoors this coming weekend. But if I had the budget, I'd get the SRX800P series. I have to admit the DSR112 gets stupid loud for the price, beats PRX712.

Disclaimer: JBL fanboy.

Scott Olewiler

• Trust me, it will be loud enough.
    • 4th Street Sound
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2016, 05:27:17 PM »

For best value I'd go with DSR112 tops and DXS-18 or even DXS-12 subs.  Both combinations work very well together.   Even the 12" sub in the DXS line will get you chest thumping kick drum for very little money.
We're here to deliver the sound equipment. Who has the check?

Mark Amber

« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2016, 05:52:37 PM »

Hi,
Years back I used to have a small Turbosound QLight setup: 2 x TQ-310, and 2 x TQ-115. I used these for my own band, open mic nights, and was sometimes hired out by other bands I knew. Obviously this was just for small venues like pubs or small/medium clubs, and they always delivered.

I sold the speakers and amps because I ran out of money ;-)

I'm getting more involved with bands again now (I'm a drummer), and there's been a few occasions now where I've had to hire a set of speakers for FOH duties so I'm thinking it's about time I bought some speakers again as I have everything else I need.

I'm not too worried about outdoors; I think for that I'd always hire a big rig, but I'm after something that will do pubs, clubs and maybe even a wedding or 2 (so perhaps 100 people? 200 at a stretch but unlikely).

I've been thinking about the following : -
FWIW the RCF HD 32-a are great performers. I would like to hear them head to head against the JBL SRX812p which I consider to be a dominating contender at this time. I suspect I would like the sound quality of the JBL would rival the RCF, having heard both but never under similar conditions. I went with HD 32-a for several reasons and don't regret it. The digital control and feature set make the JBLs the more attractive option though.

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2016, 06:05:51 PM »

I've started thinking of-relating the K12 to a SM58. Yeah, there are better but if U know how to use it- they can&will suffice :)

I like that analogy.  We are all in with QSC and it doesn't make sense to mix gear.  Would create customer confusion.

That being said, the KW's are worth the weight penalty to me.  Like the SM58 a pair of KW122's or KW181's is solid and dependable.  Nobody every complains when I show up with them.

However, for just a little bit more you can have the DSR's with modern processing and a noticeably better HF driver (especially if you run them hard).  That being said the wood KW's seem more solid to me than the DSR's. 

I also have never heard a DSR in  a club just in a demo however the consensus is overwhelming on the over the KW's and PRX712's (which I put in the same league.  DSR/SRX/ETX are a step up from KW/PRX/ELX)

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Steve Garris

« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2016, 06:30:02 PM »

But 'bright' doesn't necessarily translate to 'brash'. I don't think the DSR112's sound remotely brash and although they are very clean and clear 'mid punch' sounding boxes, I think they have a very pleasing mid/high sound to them. Case in point - when Scott and I ran those tests a couple of weeks ago, the Danley SM80 was the 'brightest' sounding box of all of them but I would never refer to it as 'brash'...

Not sure how to define brash. My point being, my DSR's have more high frequencies peaks than my PRX tops, the latter not requiring any EQ in most settings. Perhaps the OP can name a box that he thinks is brash, so we have a baseline?

Dennis Wiggins

« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2016, 06:37:42 PM »

Not sure how to define brash. My point being, my DSR's have more high frequencies peaks than my PRX tops, the latter not requiring any EQ in most settings. Perhaps the OP can name a box that he thinks is brash, so we have a baseline?

Yamaha Club Series...

-Dennis
« Last Edit: May 10, 2016, 06:41:15 PM by Dennis Wiggins »

Tom Roche

• Behind the Zion Curtain
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2016, 06:56:26 PM »

I like that analogy.  We are all in with QSC and it doesn't make sense to mix gear.  Would create customer confusion.

That being said, the KW's are worth the weight penalty to me.  Like the SM58 a pair of KW122's or KW181's is solid and dependable.  Nobody every complains when I show up with them.

However, for just a little bit more you can have the DSR's with modern processing and a noticeably better HF driver (especially if you run them hard).  That being said the wood KW's seem more solid to me than the DSR's. 

I also have never heard a DSR in a club just in a demo however the consensus is overwhelming on the over the KW's and PRX712's (which I put in the same league.  DSR/SRX/ETX are a step up from KW/PRX/ELX)

Just to clarify wrt the text in red, for "a little bit more" (~$100 in the U.S.) the DSR112 is a better speaker than the QSC K12.  The DSR112 is about $200 cheaper per cab than the KW122.  I suspect the price difference is similar in the UK.

Stephen Kirby

« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2016, 07:03:01 PM »

Everyone has their personal favorite.  I am also very adverse to forward or brash sounding speakers.  I do not find the DSRs to have that issue.  They do have a much more extended and less congested top end than my warm sounding QSCs.  I use the K10s for small things where they're not pushed.  And use the DSR's over subs for larger events where they blow people's minds at how well they can hear singing and such.  I have a DXS12 which is mainly for a drum monitor.  I've used it with a DSR112 with a classic rock band I play with that tends to get loud and has a nearly deaf lead singer.  The DSR's by themselves aren't going to impress anyone with thump.  They're awesome tops over subs, loud wedges, or to get vocals up over a loud band.

IMHO, auditioning the EV ETX I did find them to be unnaturally forward and brash.  Especially compared to their historical offerings like the Sx or even their low end ZLX boxes.  I thought maybe someone had put an EV badge on a JBL.   ;D  (although recent JBLs I've heard aren't as bad as days of yore)

Mark Finnemore

« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2016, 07:30:42 PM »

That's disturbing, I was seriously thinking of just going for a complete ETX system (ETX-10p or ETX-12p) as I'd more or less made my mind up on the ETX-15SP (sub).  I nearly managed to pick up some DSR112's second hand but someone beat me to it.. looks like they might be better though.

So, current favourate is a pair of Yamaha DSR112 + 1 EV ETX-15SP (add 1 later if needed).  The reason I'm thinking of the EV sub instead of the Yammy is that it is supposed to be a much better sub.. and if I'm going for just 1 sub it better be ballsy!

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2016, 07:30:58 PM »

Yamaha Club Series...

-Dennis

Eons ( especially the earlier series)
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2016, 07:30:58 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 17   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.053 seconds with 25 queries.