ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 17   Go Down

Author Topic: PA Speakers Recommendation (live band)  (Read 35826 times)

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
Re: PA Speakers Recommendation (live band)
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2016, 07:34:35 pm »

Not sure how to define brash. My point being, my DSR's have more high frequencies peaks than my PRX tops, the latter not requiring any EQ in most settings. Perhaps the OP can name a box that he thinks is brash, so we have a baseline?

I agree... These kinds of descriptions are relative to our individual tastes and interpretations. I would define brash as harsh and brassy with a hint of honk!.. LOL.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2016, 07:57:17 pm »

I agree... These kinds of descriptions are relative to our individual tastes and interpretations. I would define brash as harsh and brassy with a hint of Honk!.. LOL.

Hey, Sound Lady, there's a swan in my wedge!
"Practicing an art, no matter how well or badly, is a way to make your soul grow, for heaven's sake. Sing in the shower. Dance to the radio. Tell stories. Write a poem to a friend, even a lousy poem. Do it as well as you possible can. You will get an enormous reward. You will have created something."  - Kurt Vonnegut

Michael Thompson

• Factor Audio
« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2016, 08:55:49 pm »

I've certainly been happy with my DSR's for this price point and application.  I'm yet to use the matching yamaha sub though.  For me, the DSR wins over the QSC competitors, but I've used plenty of them and I also agree that the KW line sounds better than the K.  Also, don't bother with the Ksub. Stay with the KW181 if you go that route.  I can't comment on the RCF gear because I haven't used them.

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2016, 12:39:09 am »

Just to clarify wrt the text in red, for "a little bit more" (~$100 in the U.S.) the DSR112 is a better speaker than the QSC K12.  The DSR112 is about $200 cheaper per cab than the KW122.  I suspect the price difference is similar in the UK.

Hmmm, last time I got a quote from someone who is well liked around here the DSR's were a little over $100 more than the KW's that I bought.  I did not compare MAP.

To be very clear I bought them for business reasons (to match the ones I and my partners already owned) rather than on pure sonic merit.

As was the original comment I was expanding on, they are "good enough" for me to exceed my customers expectations.  Exceeding my expectations would be economic suicide.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Stephen Kirby

« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2016, 02:21:55 am »

That's disturbing, I was seriously thinking of just going for a complete ETX system (ETX-10p or ETX-12p) as I'd more or less made my mind up on the ETX-15SP (sub).  I nearly managed to pick up some DSR112's second hand but someone beat me to it.. looks like they might be better though.

So, current favourate is a pair of Yamaha DSR112 + 1 EV ETX-15SP (add 1 later if needed).  The reason I'm thinking of the EV sub instead of the Yammy is that it is supposed to be a much better sub.. and if I'm going for just 1 sub it better be ballsy!
That sub will give you a bit of thump if you're not going too loud.  But the DSR's will run away from it by miles.  I'm finishing up a second set of Cubo Subs as with 1100W 18Sound LW1400 drivers (104dB/1W @ 65Hz in the Cubo) and a Crest Pro9200 the DSRs still outrun those.

Mark Finnemore

« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2016, 03:22:27 am »

That sub will give you a bit of thump if you're not going too loud.  But the DSR's will run away from it by miles.  I'm finishing up a second set of Cubo Subs as with 1100W 18Sound LW1400 drivers (104dB/1W @ 65Hz in the Cubo) and a Crest Pro9200 the DSRs still outrun those.

I understand that, but surely the only time that'd happen is if I played a venue that was too much for that one sub, but before that it's just headroom (for the DSR112... albeit lots of it!).

The alternative is to get *lesser* tops, which seems daft when I can just turn them down... unless there's another reason.  That does sort of violate the "buy once cry once" thing too  ::)

Also doesn't adding subs only grant you 3dB extra each?... or is it more about coverage?

I could use my existing EV S200's with the sub; I'm not sure they'd outrun it.  I think they only go up to 122db (not sure if that's peak).  Only thing is I doubt they'd sound as good as the DSR112.. though they are quite sweet due to the HF design.  They are also so old I'm worried they'll fail at any moment..

The gig I have coming up at the end of June is only for around 40 to 50 people, so not exactly demanding (see room pic attached).

« Last Edit: May 11, 2016, 03:46:31 am by Mark Finnemore »

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #26 on: May 11, 2016, 11:46:08 am »

Hey, Sound Lady, there's a swan in my wedge!

But that's my 'cygnet'ure sound!
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #27 on: May 11, 2016, 11:51:08 am »

Nice one!
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #28 on: May 11, 2016, 11:51:38 am »

I understand that, but surely the only time that'd happen is if I played a venue that was too much for that one sub, but before that it's just headroom (for the DSR112... albeit lots of it!).

The alternative is to get *lesser* tops, which seems daft when I can just turn them down... unless there's another reason.  That does sort of violate the "buy once cry once" thing too  ::)

Also doesn't adding subs only grant you 3dB extra each?... or is it more about coverage?

I could use my existing EV S200's with the sub; I'm not sure they'd outrun it.  I think they only go up to 122db (not sure if that's peak).  Only thing is I doubt they'd sound as good as the DSR112.. though they are quite sweet due to the HF design.  They are also so old I'm worried they'll fail at any moment..

The gig I have coming up at the end of June is only for around 40 to 50 people, so not exactly demanding (see room pic attached).

I don't think you could beat either the KW181 or the PRX718xlf for best bang for your buck but have you looked at the PRX715xlf?... I use one or 2 with my DSR's in the very small bars we play and they are surprisingly good. Of course the DSR's have far more headroom on them but like you said, I just turn them down to the levels I require to match the subs.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #29 on: May 11, 2016, 11:53:21 am »

Nice one!
Thanks Dave! ;D

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: May 11, 2016, 11:53:21 am »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 17   Go Up

Page created in 0.082 seconds with 24 queries.