ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 17   Go Down

Author Topic: PA Speakers Recommendation (live band)  (Read 35887 times)

Mark Finnemore

PA Speakers Recommendation (live band)
« on: May 10, 2016, 04:41:54 am »

Hi,
Years back I used to have a small Turbosound QLight setup: 2 x TQ-310, and 2 x TQ-115. I used these for my own band, open mic nights, and was sometimes hired out by other bands I knew. Obviously this was just for small venues like pubs or small/medium clubs, and they always delivered.

I sold the speakers and amps because I ran out of money ;-)

I'm getting more involved with bands again now (I'm a drummer), and there's been a few occasions now where I've had to hire a set of speakers for FOH duties so I'm thinking it's about time I bought some speakers again as I have everything else I need.

I'm not too worried about outdoors; I think for that I'd always hire a big rig, but I'm after something that will do pubs, clubs and maybe even a wedding or 2 (so perhaps 100 people? 200 at a stretch but unlikely).

I've been thinking about the following : -

Sub:
So far I've only looked at : -
1) 1 x RFC 905-AS (Band Pass)
2) 1 x RFC 705-AS II (Bass Reflex)
3) 1 x FBT ProMaxX 15Sa
4) 1 x Other?

I'd probably add another sub later for the bigger venues when budget allowed.. They'd probably have to be 15" and not 18" due to size/weight. Be nice to feel the punch of the kick, and rumble of the 16" tom if possible..

Tops, either : -
1) 2 x RFC 312a (or 712a?)
2) 2 x RFC HD-12 (or HD-32?)
3) 2 x FBT Promaxx 12a / 14a
4) 2 x Yamaha DSR112 (too brash maybe?)
5) 2 x Other?

I remember liking the sound of the Turbosound speakers, they were not brash when processed correctly, and I *always* got complimented as they were much better than the standard cheap 2 x 15 on a stick often used by others. The Neumann stage mics probably helped too, they are so nice! :-)

I was surprised how well those little 10" speakers did in rock situations too.. I think they may have suffered from beaming a little.. not sure, it was a long time ago now.

My biggest fear is being underpowered, but I do prefer quality over quantity where possible, though I know I'm on a budget so not expecting L'Acoustics....

The only time I felt the TQ's weren't enough was at a cavernous working mens club that was more like a small theatre! It didn't matter too much as anyone who wanted to listen to the band or dance was up that end of the room on the dance floor.

Weight is a bit of a factor too as its often just me putting it all together.. The QLight stuff wasn't too bad (22kg tops, 35kg subs).

Any recommendations? Should I perhaps look at 10" again? I was thinking 12" tops this time just to get some "extra".. I thought maybe the coverage would be better and less beaming.

The FBT stuff appeals because of the weight, though I am hearing of reliability issues.. I have no backup so that's not good..

The RFC stuff appeals for the same reason (plus I heard they sound quite sweet.. I'm sensitive to brash/fatiguing speakers).

I am going to try and get a listen to some of these, but it's difficult to find all of these in one place to compate, plus in a shop it is not going to sound the same as when they are cranked up at a gig..

I am based in Leicestershire if that's helps.

Thanks! And sorry for the long post.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2016, 08:13:14 am by Mark Finnemore »

Roland Clarke

Re: PA Speakers Recommendation (live band)
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2016, 04:58:57 am »

I would recommend the usual suspects, namely, Yamaha Dsr112's, though the dsr subs aren't well liked, qsc k12's.  If you are on a really tight budget, the turbosound Milan 12/15 are bang for the buck.  I've recently bought 4 dsr's 112's and JBL srx812's, but these are more expensive than the others you have mentioned above.  Most of the MI kit available today is a considerable step up in terms of quality and output over what was available 5-10 years ago, mostly due to cheaper manufacture and technology improvements.  Subs wise, I've got JBL srx828 that really goes some, but smaller options are 7 series JBL at better prices.  I can't comment on lower price subs as I tend to use bigger stuff generally.

Hope this is of some help.  :)

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2016, 05:59:45 am »

Welcome to the Forums! However, per the Rules of Participation here on the Pro Sound Forums, before anyone is allowed to address your question, your Display Name does need to be your Real, Full Name. Would you mind popping back in to your Profile and updating your Display Name to reflect your Real, Full Name?

Thanks!

-Ray
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

Mark Finnemore

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2016, 06:44:40 am »

Done!

There's also the QSC K12 option.. they seem readily available second hand... But I'm not sure they sound the best from what people have said?  Might be an option though.  I'd like to go second hand if I can.

Plus an extra sub option: ETX-15SP.  I could pick up one, and another one later if need be.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2016, 09:31:50 am by Mark Finnemore »

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2016, 10:47:15 am »

Hi,
Years back I used to have a small Turbosound QLight setup: 2 x TQ-310, and 2 x TQ-115. I used these for my own band, open mic nights, and was sometimes hired out by other bands I knew. Obviously this was just for small venues like pubs or small/medium clubs, and they always delivered.

I sold the speakers and amps because I ran out of money ;-)

I'm getting more involved with bands again now (I'm a drummer), and there's been a few occasions now where I've had to hire a set of speakers for FOH duties so I'm thinking it's about time I bought some speakers again as I have everything else I need.

I'm not too worried about outdoors; I think for that I'd always hire a big rig, but I'm after something that will do pubs, clubs and maybe even a wedding or 2 (so perhaps 100 people? 200 at a stretch but unlikely).

I've been thinking about the following : -

Sub:
So far I've only looked at : -
1) 1 x RFC 905-AS (Band Pass)
2) 1 x RFC 705-AS II (Bass Reflex)
3) 1 x FBT ProMaxX 15Sa
4) 1 x Other?

I'd probably add another sub later for the bigger venues when budget allowed.. They'd probably have to be 15" and not 18" due to size/weight. Be nice to feel the punch of the kick, and rumble of the 16" tom if possible..

Tops, either : -
1) 2 x RFC 312a (or 712a?)
2) 2 x RFC HD-12 (or HD-32?)
3) 2 x FBT Promaxx 12a / 14a
4) 2 x Yamaha DSR112 (too brash maybe?)
5) 2 x Other?

I remember liking the sound of the Turbosound speakers, they were not brash when processed correctly, and I *always* got complimented as they were much better than the standard cheap 2 x 15 on a stick often used by others. The Neumann stage mics probably helped too, they are so nice! :-)

I was surprised how well those little 10" speakers did in rock situations too.. I think they may have suffered from beaming a little.. not sure, it was a long time ago now.

My biggest fear is being underpowered, but I do prefer quality over quantity where possible, though I know I'm on a budget so not expecting L'Acoustics....

The only time I felt the TQ's weren't enough was at a cavernous working mens club that was more like a small theatre! It didn't matter too much as anyone who wanted to listen to the band or dance was up that end of the room on the dance floor.

Weight is a bit of a factor too as its often just me putting it all together.. The QLight stuff wasn't too bad (22kg tops, 35kg subs).

Any recommendations? Should I perhaps look at 10" again? I was thinking 12" tops this time just to get some "extra".. I thought maybe the coverage would be better and less beaming.

The FBT stuff appeals because of the weight, though I am hearing of reliability issues.. I have no backup so that's not good..

The RFC stuff appeals for the same reason (plus I heard they sound quite sweet.. I'm sensitive to brash/fatiguing speakers).

I am going to try and get a listen to some of these, but it's difficult to find all of these in one place to compate, plus in a shop it is not going to sound the same as when they are cranked up at a gig..

I am based in Leicestershire if that's helps.

Thanks! And sorry for the long post.
Mark, your needs are pretty standard.  Yamaha DSR, JBL SRX800P, EV ETX are the main contenders, and all have FIR-type processing which is a good thing for sound quality and system protection.  All sound good and have minor pros and cons.  The QSC K12 is not up to the standard of the newer boxes mentioned above, but might be fine if budget is tight.  I would strongly suggest buying a matching system - subs and mains from the same vendor and series.  Other than that, you need to go out and listen to them and see which you like best.

Earl F Young

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2016, 11:18:12 am »

I've started thinking of-relating the K12 to a SM58. Yeah, there are better but if U know how to use it- they can&will suffice :)

The QSC K12 is not up to the standard of the newer boxes mentioned above, but might be fine if budget is tight.  I would strongly suggest buying a matching system - subs and mains from the same vendor and series.  Other than that, you need to go out and listen to them and see which you like best.

Steve Garris

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2016, 11:33:19 am »

Not sure about availability in England, but if you don't like "brash" sounding boxes I think a JBL PRX system would suit your needs perfectly. The 618 and 718xlf are some of the best sounding sub's in their class, and the 715 tops sound great. I have a PRX system that I use for most of my shows, which requires little to no EQ in most rooms. The DSR's are certainly loud, but perhaps a little bright. I really dislike K12's as mains, but I think they make fantastic floor monitors.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2016, 12:33:37 pm »

Not sure about availability in England, but if you don't like "brash" sounding boxes I think a JBL PRX system would suit your needs perfectly. The 618 and 718xlf are some of the best sounding sub's in their class, and the 715 tops sound great. I have a PRX system that I use for most of my shows, which requires little to no EQ in most rooms. The DSR's are certainly loud, but perhaps a little bright. I really dislike K12's as mains, but I think they make fantastic floor monitors.

But 'bright' doesn't necessarily translate to 'brash'. I don't think the DSR112's sound remotely brash and although they are very clean and clear 'mid punch' sounding boxes, I think they have a very pleasing mid/high sound to them. Case in point - when Scott and I ran those tests a couple of weeks ago, the Danley SM80 was the 'brightest' sounding box of all of them but I would never refer to it as 'brash'...
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Mark Finnemore

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2016, 01:16:19 pm »

Thanks for the responses so far.

I've been considering the EV ETX-15sp for a sub (1 now, buy another later maybe), to go with a pair of Yamaha DSR112, but wondering if a pair of EV ETX-10sp would be better, plus they'd match with the sub(s)... I think that'd be a nice little set up.. I would have to buy new though as the ETX line is pretty new.

10" always look a bit small, almost out of place in some settings, but I know they can be loud. Can they throw as far as a 12" though?.. I'm just wondering what the trade offs are 10" vs 12".

Someone has said that 10" has more dispersion, and perhaps a little better for vocals?  And maybe a bit sweeter sounding overall..

Just thinking out loud!
« Last Edit: May 10, 2016, 03:54:30 pm by Mark Finnemore »

Robert Lofgren

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2016, 01:35:50 pm »

I have both the rcf 312-mk3 and 712 (mk2?) and while the 312 is sounding great the 712 give you so much more and it is also smaller.

Depending on your needs you might want to look at the 722 that uses a larger hf-driver and voice coil.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2016, 01:35:50 pm »

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 17   Go Up

Page created in 0.065 seconds with 22 queries.