ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Dante redundant playback switch  (Read 23534 times)

Andrew Broughton

• Check Check One Two
Re: Dante redundant playback switch
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2016, 03:28:07 PM »

I guess I'm still not understanding what the issue is. You trigger the 2 computers, they start together and then free-run until the end of that cue. You output DVS from both computers, using an input switchover at the console if you need to go to the backup.

Where's the problem?
-Andy

"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle..."

http://www.checkcheckonetwo.com
Saving lives through Digital Audio, Programming and Electronics.

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2016, 03:34:36 PM »

I guess I'm still not understanding what the issue is. You trigger the 2 computers, they start together and then free-run until the end of that cue. You output DVS from both computers, using an input switchover at the console if you need to go to the backup.

Where's the problem?
I agree. Patch them to separate channel strips. Just unmute the backup and then mute the primary

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2016, 08:48:33 PM »

I agree. Patch them to separate channel strips. Just unmute the backup and then mute the primary

This burns double the number of input channels which Andrew is trying to avoid. Just burning double the number on input ports and changing the input patch in the console is the easiest. I haven't used patch libraries since the DM2000/PM5d days, I don't know if the newer consoles even have patch libraries anymore. If not, maybe it's time to reinstate them. While you can do a preset change in Dante Controller, that causes an audio mute while the system reconfigures.

Mac

Andrew Broughton

• Check Check One Two
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2016, 09:08:36 PM »

This burns double the number of input channels which Andrew is trying to avoid. Just burning double the number on input ports and changing the input patch in the console is the easiest. I haven't used patch libraries since the DM2000/PM5d days, I don't know if the newer consoles even have patch libraries anymore. If not, maybe it's time to reinstate them. While you can do a preset change in Dante Controller, that causes an audio mute while the system reconfigures.

Mac
I'm talking about Dante Patch library in the CL/QL, Mac. It's probably works just like a preset in DC, but what I'm curious about is this:
Library 001:
Dante 1 = RIO1/Ch 1
Dante 2 = RIO1/Ch 2
Dante 3 = RIO1/Ch 3
Dante 4 = RIO1/Ch 4

Library 002:
Dante 1 = RIO1/Ch 1
Dante 2 = RIO1/Ch 2
Dante 3 = RIO2/Ch 1
Dante 4 = RIO2/Ch 2

If you're in Library 001 and recall Library 002, does the audio on Dante 1 & 2 mute? Obviously 3/4 will while it changes over, but if there's no subscription change, does the audio mute just because a new library is loading?
-Andy

Andrew Broughton

• Check Check One Two
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2016, 09:11:49 PM »

I realize that if the audio DOES mute then if I'm not using all 64 Dante lines, I can also have the redundant channels as part of the main patch and just change the channel input patch. It would be nice if audio would only mute if there's a change to the Dante patch.
-Andy

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2016, 09:32:41 PM »

I'm talking about Dante Patch library in the CL/QL, Mac. It's probably works just like a preset in DC, but what I'm curious about is this:
Library 001:
Dante 1 = RIO1/Ch 1
Dante 2 = RIO1/Ch 2
Dante 3 = RIO1/Ch 3
Dante 4 = RIO1/Ch 4

Library 002:
Dante 1 = RIO1/Ch 1
Dante 2 = RIO1/Ch 2
Dante 3 = RIO2/Ch 1
Dante 4 = RIO2/Ch 2

If you're in Library 001 and recall Library 002, does the audio on Dante 1 & 2 mute? Obviously 3/4 will while it changes over, but if there's no subscription change, does the audio mute just because a new library is loading?

A patch change shouldn't cause any audio interruption since audio is present at each of the Dante inputs all the time. Patch changes within the console have always be essentially instantaneous in the past. Can you recall a Dante patch library with a UDK?

Mac

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • Tulsa, Oklahoma
    • My homepage
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2016, 09:46:12 PM »

Mac

See, there's one of those things that the 5D does that the CL/QL can't.

Like Mac said, using separate input channels burns up your input channels. If you have a show using 16 channels of playback, that's 32 channels that you've lost our of 72 on a CL5. A patch library would be the better solution. But at this point I think you have to make that changes in Dante Controller as I don't think the CL/QL has the ability to save and recall Dante patches. Changing the patch in DC from the computer mutes the stream for a couple of seconds.

Plus, if you lost your primary computer and you have to switch to the backup computer, then you have to repatch from that computer also...Take too long.

I'm going to have to ask the next show that come through with a CL5 how they handle this, as I know they all use redundant QLab systems.

There's just not an elegant solution for it at this point.

I'm pretty sure that's why the big Broadway shows are all using Digico consoles. Because they have the patch library setups to do this, and can use their built in macro buttons do pull off a seamless auto switch over.
Justice C. Bigler
Business Rep, IATSE Local 354
www.justicebigler.com

Riley Casey

• Wash DC
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2016, 10:11:24 PM »

On the off chance that any Qlab users are NOT aware of this, there is a Qlab forum .

https://groups.google.com/forum/?utm_source=digest&utm_medium=email#!forum/qlab/topics

I wish Andy Leviss was still around, he would be able to answer all of these questions and propose the best solutions to them.

Andrew Broughton

• Check Check One Two
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2016, 01:35:11 AM »

Can you recall a Dante patch library with a UDK?

Mac
Yes, as well as a GPI
-Andy

Andrew Broughton

• Check Check One Two
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2016, 01:48:34 AM »

See, there's one of those things that the 5D does that the CL/QL can't.
No, it's not, and I've told you how to do it.

A patch library would be the better solution.
There's other ways too. A (input) patch library would be nice but not necessary.

But at this point I think you have to make that changes in Dante Controller as I don't think the CL/QL has the ability to save and recall Dante patches.
Yes it does, as I said earlier.

Changing the patch in DC from the computer mutes the stream for a couple of seconds.
I just need to know if it does it when you change it from the Dante Patch Library in the CL.
-Andy

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2016, 01:48:34 AM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 23 queries.