ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Limiter Question  (Read 2300 times)

Adam Lambert

Limiter Question
« on: May 09, 2016, 11:27:27 PM »

Good evening!

How would you all go about setting the limiters on this rig:

Rane line mixer -> Drawmer sp2120 -> Ashly Protea 48SP -> Lab G. FP10000Q

My plan was to set the Lab G. VPL at the speaker's "continuous" rating, then set the Ashly as a "heating limiter" at 50% with a slow attack, and finally cap it all off with the Drawmer starting to limit at 75% using a sign wave at 50hz for subs and 1000hz for tops. But after reading up a bit on the Ashly I found out it only goes up to 50ms on the attack which seems too fast for a "heating limiter" so I'm left wondering if there is a better approach?

The FP+s are connected to SM80s paired with THMinis over a cluster of custom 18s...all 8ohm. This set up will be playing mostly disco/house and must be "drunk proof" and able to run safely without supervision...

Any information is greatly appreciated!

Thank you,

Adam

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
Re: Limiter Question
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2016, 06:02:43 AM »

Good evening!

How would you all go about setting the limiters on this rig:

Rane line mixer -> Drawmer sp2120 -> Ashly Protea 48SP -> Lab G. FP10000Q

My plan was to set the Lab G. VPL at the speaker's "continuous" rating, then set the Ashly as a "heating limiter" at 50% with a slow attack, and finally cap it all off with the Drawmer starting to limit at 75% using a sign wave at 50hz for subs and 1000hz for tops. But after reading up a bit on the Ashly I found out it only goes up to 50ms on the attack which seems too fast for a "heating limiter" so I'm left wondering if there is a better approach?

The FP+s are connected to SM80s paired with THMinis over a cluster of custom 18s...all 8ohm. This set up will be playing mostly disco/house and must be "drunk proof" and able to run safely without supervision...

Any information is greatly appreciated!

Thank you,

Adam
I would use the VPL in the Labs as the peak limiter.  That sets the "ceiling" for the whole chain.

Use the Ashley as the long term/thermal/heating limiter.

This should be between 1/4 to 1/2 wattage rating of the woofers.

The Drawmer should be the "continuous" limiter.  This should be around the continuous rating of the drivers, not the "music".

Basically the same idea as what you have-but starting out at a higher voltage than you have.

If you want to provide a little more protection, don't set the VPL for the peak, but rather for twice the continuous power.

Of course-some of these terms are used in different ways in different products.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Adam Lambert

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2016, 10:36:36 AM »

I would use the VPL in the Labs as the peak limiter.  That sets the "ceiling" for the whole chain.

Use the Ashley as the long term/thermal/heating limiter.

This should be between 1/4 to 1/2 wattage rating of the woofers.

The Drawmer should be the "continuous" limiter.  This should be around the continuous rating of the drivers, not the "music".

Basically the same idea as what you have-but starting out at a higher voltage than you have.

If you want to provide a little more protection, don't set the VPL for the peak, but rather for twice the continuous power.

Of course-some of these terms are used in different ways in different products.

Thanks Ivan!

So the 50ms attack on the Ashly is slow enough?

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2016, 11:15:36 AM »

Thanks Ivan!

So the 50ms attack on the Ashly is slow enough?
I did not look into the specific limitations in the DSPs.

50ms is not long enough for a "slow" attack.

You really need 2 or 3 seconds.

So I guess that changes thing-----
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Michael Gorecki

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2016, 04:01:43 PM »

Hey guys, I'm looking for some solid information on  limiters. I have a buddy that has two different types of sub cabinets and two different amp racks that I need to re setup. I did this a few years back but he's expanded and I've got the bug to learn a little more. Any links or reading materials are appreciated.

Thanks, Michael

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2016, 04:01:43 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 24 queries.