ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18]   Go Down

Author Topic: Line-arrayitis  (Read 30064 times)

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
Re: Line-arrayitis
« Reply #170 on: May 13, 2016, 07:56:58 pm »

There is a difference between telling lies and giving out specs that are no lying-but NOT telling the truth as the customer would like to "think" it means.

The difference be lying and deceiving can be quite large.

Yes product A might get that loud-but only over 1/3 of an octave-the rest of the response is 10dB lower.

But the customer "thinks" that the "maximum SPL" spec means that the WHOLE freq response can do that.

If you were to actually eq the response to be flat-it would not be able to get anywhere near the "maximum SPL" spec.

But people will use that "simple single number spec" to "believe" the usable SPL will be that-and purchase it over another product that does not appear as loud "on paper", but is an honest realizable number.

Just as one example.  There are many more.  But I won't go into those.

NO, not all manufacturers do this.  But a large number of them (or at least the marketing departments) do.

Some of the biggest are the biggest "Deceivers" (notice I did not use liers) of them all.
Ivan we've been around this tree so many time I feel like I may melt into butter like the tigers in that old fable (that was disappeared from bookshelves decades ago because it wasn't politically correct  :o).   

Show me the money (facts). As we have discussed previously, when you write your white paper about proper speaker specification and measurement techniques, you can include these lairs (I mean "deceivers") with thinly concealed sham identities. The best way to stop it is too shine some sun light on it.

My suspicion has always been that there isn't as much deception going on as you apparently believe.

Maybe just tackle one at a time, in your ongoing series of "how to properly measure loudspeakers". As long as you don't literally name names, and don't proffer any deception yourself, it should be a win-win for all but the purveyors of flaky specs.

Now get back to work...  8)

JR

Don't tune your drums half-ass. Listen to what a properly "cleared" drum sounds like.   http://circularscience.com/

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
Re: End of the Line-arrayitis
« Reply #171 on: May 13, 2016, 08:10:28 pm »

Ivan we've been around this tree so many time I feel like I may melt into butter like the tigers in that old fable (that was disappeared from bookshelves decades ago because it wasn't politically correct  :o).   

Show me the money (facts). As we have discussed previously, when you write your white paper about proper speaker specification and measurement techniques, you can include these lairs (I mean "deceivers") with thinly concealed sham identities. The best way to stop it is too shine some sun light on it.

My suspicion has always been that there isn't as much deception going on as you apparently believe.

Maybe just tackle one at a time, in your ongoing series of "how to properly measure loudspeakers". As long as you don't literally name names, and don't proffer any deception yourself, it should be a win-win for all but the purveyors of flaky specs.

Now get back to work...  8)

JR

This. Find something else to talk about.

ProSoundWeb Community

Re: End of the Line-arrayitis
« Reply #171 on: May 13, 2016, 08:10:28 pm »

Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18]   Go Up

Page created in 0.048 seconds with 25 queries.