ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 18   Go Down

Author Topic: Line-arrayitis  (Read 48115 times)

Chris Hindle

• SR Forums
  • Montreal, Quebec, Canada, Earth, Sol System,......
Re: Line-arrayitis
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2016, 12:57:03 PM »

Thats why I said we always have compromises. But having 60 boxes of any brand or type doesn't mean you should use all 60 right!? 

Many times, it comes down to "It's on the truck, put it up"
Just because some jumpers get "misplaced" doesn't mean everything gets powered up....
Ya, Whatever. Just throw a '57 on it, and get off my stage.

Stephen Kirby

« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2016, 02:07:43 PM »

And, to add to the fun, the home hi-fi audiophool folks are now making 'line arrays' all over the place.  My last Parts Express catalog had an article on a home-brew line array cab replete with something like 32 dome tweeters.
Actually you can trace the history of "line array" from Olsen's theory, to Argos columns in churches to home hi-fi long before L'Acoustics and the current SR fascination with the concept.  Things like Beveridge electrostatics, and the Infinity Quantum Line Source go way back as line arrays.  Not to mention tall planar speakers like Magnapan, Acoustat, Martin-Logan, etc.  By being nearly floor to ceiling in their use environments, these actually were more line source than many SR products using the term.  Things with rows of tweeters like the PE projects have been around since the '70s at least.

Mark Wilkinson

« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2016, 02:18:54 PM »

Actually you can trace the history of "line array" from Olsen's theory, to Argos columns in churches to home hi-fi long before L'Acoustics and the current SR fascination with the concept.  Things like Beveridge electrostatics, and the Infinity Quantum Line Source go way back as line arrays.  Not to mention tall planar speakers like Magnapan, Acoustat, Martin-Logan, etc.  By being nearly floor to ceiling in their use environments, these actually were more line source than many SR products using the term.  Things with rows of tweeters like the PE projects have been around since the '70s at least.

Yes ........and that Parts Express speaker has been around for a number of years...it's a Don Keele baby...http://www.xlrtechs.com/dbkeele.com/
...looks like he's got a partnership going with PE.

Joe Pieternella

« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2016, 03:21:59 PM »

All of this makes me wanna build a box that looks like an line array outside with regular conponents inside. And make people wonder how my array sounds so well.

I should add btw for a little perspective for your guys im 20 yrs old so i Don't have the experience you guys Do.. Most will probably have more experience

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2016, 04:30:24 PM »

I just did a small street fair with 2 DSR115s over 2 PRX718xlfs.
10 foot crank-ups with a 10 degree tilt down.
PLENTY of volume, clarity and throw for the situation.
Someone came up and said he was amazed that a single box per side sounded so good.
The line array marketing: more is better.
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Don T. Williams

• Midas Pro 1 & 2, M32, dbTech T12, T8, S30, DM12
    • Q Systems Music & Sound
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2016, 06:55:19 PM »

+1 again on all the comments.  It is getting tough to meet a rider if you don't have a line array, even if other configurations will work better.  The BE (or whoever specs the the items on the tech rider) has probably never seen the venue.  If you can talk to the BE and explain the venue, they will often accept your recommendation.  Most BE's are pretty open to the suggestions from local sound suppliers that are very familiar with a venue, and appreciate those suggestions.

Joe Pieternella

« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2016, 09:56:17 PM »

This is very true Don. Right now I am working as a BE and I always try to advance the show. And see if I can meet up with the person in charge of the system.

Problem is often times even when you supply the rider through mail, sometimes even after I advise them it is coming upon arriving often times staff isn't even aware we have a rider. Sometimes even after a confirmation that the venue received it.

Why this even matters is because everything I ask for in there has alternate suggestions and the three things I really want, I carry. The rider doesnt specify anything about the PA, Just the minimum amount of wedges needed and the ideal amount.

Experience mostly trumps "They did it this way at the club yesterday so it must work in your 360-degree arena" a lot of BE's seem to not get this.

Stephen Kirby

« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2016, 02:33:41 AM »

All of this makes me wanna build a box that looks like an line array outside with regular conponents inside. And make people wonder how my array sounds so well.

I should add btw for a little perspective for your guys im 20 yrs old so i Don't have the experience you guys Do.. Most will probably have more experience
You could take Peter Morris' DIY 3way and cut grooves in the side and put a bunch of grille frames on it and it would look about the size of a small 5 or 6" based dash but slay it in output.  Not sure what would happen if you tried to fake a J arc at the bottom.   ;)

Lyle Williams

« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2016, 07:58:43 AM »

We're straying into "homemade plywood rear wing on a Pinto" territory.  :-)

John L Nobile

« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2016, 08:12:29 AM »

+1 again on all the comments.  It is getting tough to meet a rider if you don't have a line array, even if other configurations will work better.  The BE (or whoever specs the the items on the tech rider) has probably never seen the venue.  If you can talk to the BE and explain the venue, they will often accept your recommendation.  Most BE's are pretty open to the suggestions from local sound suppliers that are very familiar with a venue, and appreciate those suggestions.

2 years ago we installed SH96HO's in the room and I gotta say, they were the best sounding boxes I've heard in the room. By far and I've rented a lot of boxes in there including some dash arrays. Ceiling is 18 ' at its highest.
A week after install a band comes in and the first thing the BE says is "Why didn't you get a line array?"  This was before he even heard the system.
It sounded very good but with his LA attitude,  he didn't like the system and apparently let people know.
Some people will never stop listening with their eyes.
I'm in an install situation. If I had a sound company I'm sure I'd have line arrays. With that kind of attitude, how would you survive without them?

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2016, 08:12:29 AM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 18   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.049 seconds with 24 queries.