ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: What wireless bands will be usable after the Sale of spectrum.  (Read 10664 times)

Henry Cohen

• Westchester Co., NY, USA
Re: What wireless bands will be usable after the Sale of spectrum.
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2016, 05:59:09 PM »

As for a permitted device that is tunable in legal and now-illegal frequencies?  This wouldn't gain approval for a new product, but I'd expect an existing device to continue to be legal to use in legally permitted spectrum.
The FCC has explicitly stated in the last NPRM regarding the auctions and the new bandplan(s) that any current BAS equipment (not just wireless microphones, coms and IEMs) that can tune to the auctioned frequency bands will lose their type approval and the end of the 39 month transition period.

There would just be no in built protection against breaking the law.
That's why.
Henry Cohen

CP Communications    www.cpcomms.com
Radio Active Designs   www.radioactiverf.com

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2016, 06:34:09 PM »

As long as the equipment can tune outside the newly limited TV bands, the device is no longer type accepted (it loses its FCC certification and the ID number becomes invalid) even though you would operate it only in the correct band(s).
Hope dashed.
I don't care enough to be apathetic

Luke Geis

• Owner of Endever Music Production's
« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2016, 07:09:34 PM »

I work for about 3-4 different companies that are all interested in new wireless gear, as am I. It is such a crappy time right now to own and need wireless...... I tell everyone to hold off on buying for as long as possible until the auction is done and the new rules set in place. Plan on going fully digital or at least hybrid in the VHF band and buy as low in the frequency band as you can.

I am so peeved right now. 8 years ago or so I owned two Sennheiser Handheld mics in the 700hz band. That got auctioned and I had to sell them off at a loss and replace them with new units in the 600 band, which is now being played around with...... If I loose the use of this set of Sennheiser units, I will be beyond mad. Granted 4 units isn't a huge inventory, but it is certainly not fun to have to replace a perfectly fine unit because the FCC has money to move around.

I bought some Line 6 V75 units and while they do perform like a wired mic, they are not as reliable as the higher end units I seem to have to replace every 5 years because of the FCC.....

Wait, go digital and or buy in a range that TV and cell phones can't use.
I don't understand how you can't hear yourself

Henry Cohen

« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2016, 08:30:43 PM »

. . . but it is certainly not fun to have to replace a perfectly fine unit because the FCC has money to move around.

I bought some Line 6 V75 units and while they do perform like a wired mic, they are not as reliable as the higher end units I seem to have to replace every 5 years because of the FCC.....

The blame squarely lies with congress, not FCC; FCC is merely the facilitator of congress' (the cellular industry) legislations.
Henry Cohen

Pete Erskine

• Best Audio
« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2016, 08:40:26 PM »

The blame squarely lies with congress, not FCC; FCC is merely the facilitator of congress' (the cellular industry) legislations.

What puzzles me is why are they selling the use of spectrum instead of leasing?  It's not like it goes bad!
Pete Erskine
917-750-1134
www.bestaudio.com
[email protected]

Henry Cohen

« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2016, 09:36:44 PM »

What puzzles me is why are they selling the use of spectrum instead of leasing?  It's not like it goes bad!
Actually, legally, it's a lease. A long term lease, 99 years or something like that, as the spectrum is a national resource and can't actually be sold outright. One issue is that the nature of the auction for lease model congress has chosen is not going to produce the maximum revenue possible. Maximum revenue would only be realized over a minimum 10 year period using a market based $/MHz/pop/year formula (such as that used by Japan), rather than the heroin junky style of quick fix of cash the current auction model produces.
Henry Cohen

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2016, 09:36:44 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 21 queries.