ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Waterproof LED recommendation  (Read 7012 times)

Don T. Williams

• Midas Pro 1 & 2, M32, dbTech T12, T8, S30, DM12
    • Q Systems Music & Sound
Re: Waterproof LED recommendation
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2015, 06:58:21 PM »

With moving heads, it looks a lot more professional if you have more than two.  My opinion being stated, there are a couple of manufactures that offer dual head units for around $100 more that their similar single head units.  One of these is the Chauvet Intimidator Spot Duo.  Two of these would give you 4 moving heads at a relative bargain.  It has fairly narrow beams, which makes it brighter than many of the more expensive more powerful LED lights.

Of course, there are always trade-offs with numbers of functions, features, and quality.  None of these are a Sharpe or high end Mac.  You don't get something for nothing, but with these types of lights you do get movement, color, and texture (the gobos).  For most in the audience (not lighting pros), that is all it takes to impress.  And adding a haze machine were permitted insures the beams are noticed.

jason misterka

« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2016, 09:27:25 PM »

I wanted to reply back to everyone that we have made our decision, received the units, but haven't tried them out yet.   April gig got moved inside due to high winds and pending snow...

Here is what we landed on:
http://www.blizzardlighting.com/products/outdoor-rated-lights/item/636-tournado-ww-cob

They are ip65, just white and simple to use.  Moderate budget.  Wide.

Since I haven't used them yet I am hoping they are bright enough, but most of our uses for these are small stages, the biggest being 32x24.  I'm hoping 4 fixtures will do a good enough job, but I bought 8 to be safe or to divide up when necessary.

Our Slim Par Pros will turn into up-lights, or at least upstage lights.

I'll report back after I used them if anyone is interested.  I can't be the only soundguy looking to easily light up a stage without a bunch of effort.

Jason

Hello lighting folks -

Sound guy asking.  I'm looking for a recommendation for ideally four, or at the most six, lights. 

These are not to run a "Light Show" but instead to illuminate the stage with fairly natural looking white light.

If we need a lighting show, we bring in a lighting company.  These are for bluegrass festivals, relay for life, first night fireworks events, etc.  Think decent looking work lights :)

What I am looking for is a fixture I can have the staging guys hang easily on the front of the roof of an SL100 or SL250 (16-20ft from the stage deck).   Or I can put on a pole on an ultimate stand or Applied L16.

I was thinking something like a waterproof LED mole?

Here are the requirements, I believe, let me know if this is realistic:

-  Able to be fitted and mounted with cheeseboro, clamps or bolts to SL100 or SL250

- Enough "brightness" and dispersion to light up a 32x24 stage from 20ft.  I'm not too worried about keeping the light on the stage, a little spill is OK for these, and obviously if the stage size and height of the roof changes each gig, then there will be a little fluff.

- since they will be used on different size stages, they need to be able to dim gracefully

- Waterproof (often put up the day before when the stage roof goes up, etc)

- Only need white, but needs to be decent white.  Not perfect but decent enough for amateur photographers not to gripe with me all night.

- DMX control, linked together.  We will bring in a baby console to turn them on when we arrive.

- need all four or six to run on one 20amp 120volt circuit, ideally linking to each other without needing additional cabling, but if I need to I can get additional waterproof cabling. 

- The idea is simplicity.  Since I am relying on the staging company to mount these fairly often, they need to go up easy and not have a bunch of buttons that can be bumped and need a 25ft ladder to reach during soundcheck...

- hoping for a sub $300 per unit price.  What's out there?

Thanks!
Jason

Robert Piascik

• Westerville, OH (near Columbus)
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2016, 08:17:03 AM »

I am absolutely interested in hearing about these once you've used them. Looks like a good solution!
Pi Entertainment Services
Midas M32R / MR18
Behringer X32R
Danley SH50 / SM80 / TH118 / TH115
Fulcrum Acoustic fa22ac
RCF NX 12SMA
Yamaha DSR112 / DZR10
Powersoft X4 / M50Q
Crown iT8k

Don T. Williams

• Midas Pro 1 & 2, M32, dbTech T12, T8, S30, DM12
    • Q Systems Music & Sound
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2016, 06:28:12 PM »

Sorry I didn't read the whole thread and jumped in the middle.  I missed the waterproof and light up the entire stage part.  Ignore my suggestion.

Mike Karseboom

« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2016, 02:02:24 PM »

Sounds like Jason found what he was looking for so I will introduce a slight swerve...

I am looking for waterproof lights that will do RGBWA to be used as front lights.  I want the colors, not just whites but do plan to use them for front lights on typical 20x20 or smaller stages.  There is usually no lighting truss so I am putting lights on crank stands with a t-arm or or otherwise mounting them within 10' of the front line performers.

I sometimes use 2x Chauvet SlimPar Pro Tri fixtures on each side in this situation.  The lights have good enough coverage (25 degree beam) and are bright enough, but they are not that warm looking on the faces and they are not water proof.

I see a lot of good fixtures in the $300-600 /ea range.  Unfortunately I am not in that price range and really only use the lights a few times a year.  So I am looking for more affordable alternatives even if it means buying direct from China. 

Does anyone have any specific recommendations for products that might be appropriate.  I have been looking at the Becen BC-418 and the Wingo  WG-5012 as possible candidates.

http://www.becenlight.com/cp/html/?98.html

http://www.wingolight.com.cn/html/products/ledparlight/284.html

--Mike
"If you're not confused, you don't know what is going on"

Live Sound for the Mt. Shasta area
http://www.shastalivesound.com

jason misterka

« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2016, 08:00:07 PM »

I am absolutely interested in hearing about these once you've used them. Looks like a good solution!

I've sent them out a few times now with our other crews but tonight is the first time I've used them myself.

Not cheap, but waterproof, wide and bright.  They have a much better white than most LED fixtures I've used, and very easy to operate (one fader of course). 

3 per side would easily work on an SL100 and 4 per side would be just fine on an SL250/260.  Possibly could get away with less, I've had 8 and 9 piece bands today so all stage space was used.

Recommended.  My Slim Pars are now upstage uplights.

Jason

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2016, 08:00:07 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 25 queries.