ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Recommendations on adding to Bose L1 II  (Read 9386 times)

Andy Lancaster

Recommendations on adding to Bose L1 II
« on: May 02, 2016, 02:52:05 PM »

I currently have two Bose L1 Model II, each with one B2 bass module. Each sub has two 10" drivers. The system sounds really great for the most part. My only problem comes when I have big 'teen' parties with lots of electronic music/bass heavy content. The L1 can handle it just fine, but you don't get that 'thumping' feeling in your chest.

I was thinking about picking up a used Yorkville Unity UCS1, paired with a Behringer iNuke NU3000 amplifier. Would it be worth it? I'm a little worried about going with Behringer, as I know they have a less than stellar reputation.

I've read a bunch of reviews here about the merits of the UCS1, but none about 'mixing' them with other subs. I'd be running the L1's with a single UCS1 for additional low end reinforcement. Would this be worth it, or should I just add more Bose B2s. Thanks for your input.

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • Tulsa, Oklahoma
    • My homepage
Re: Recommendations on adding to Bose L1 II
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2016, 04:32:45 PM »

Mixing subs is a bad idea. It's a recipe for comb filtering.

You don't say how many people you are trying to cover, how big of an area, or what SPL level you are trying to achieve.

You would probably be better off getting a whole new PA system if you want to do EDM type shows. The Bose sticks aren't well regarded in the professional audio world.
Justice C. Bigler
Business Rep, IATSE Local 354
www.justicebigler.com

Scott Carneval

• Precision Audio
Recommendations on adding to Bose L1 II
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2016, 05:26:40 PM »

I definitely would NOT attempt to do an EDM show or a teen dance with a Bose L1. They're acceptable for coffee shops, weddings and corporate gigs but that's about it.

But if you MUST use it, i'd suggest a JBL SRX828p sub, and route the signal from your mixer to the sub, and then from the sub to the L1, so the L1 gets a high pass filter. This way the little B2 subs don't have to work as hard. They're still needed as they handle frequencies up to about 300hz.

There are better subs on the market, but not at $1999.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Robert Piascik

• Westerville, OH (near Columbus)
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2016, 06:47:03 PM »

I'm a little worried about going with Behringer, as I know they have a less than stellar reputation.

...says the guy who's trying to make his BOSE system sound better.

Sorry, I know it's snarky but I just couldn't resist.
I have nothing positive to add to this thread.
Pi Entertainment Services
Midas M32R / MR18
Behringer X32R
Danley SH50 / SM80 / TH118 / TH115
Fulcrum Acoustic fa22ac
RCF NX 12SMA
Yamaha DSR112 / DZR10
Powersoft X4 / M50Q
Crown iT8k

Andy Lancaster

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2016, 10:02:56 PM »

...says the guy who's trying to make his BOSE system sound better.

Sorry, I know it's snarky but I just couldn't resist.
I have nothing positive to add to this thread.

What a warm welcome to the LAB forums...

Thanks for the advice.

Andy Lancaster

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2016, 10:08:52 PM »

I guess I should've clarified a little more. I typically don't have a need for more bass, but in some instances I really just need something to thump (I'd rather higher SPL than accuracy in this instance). That being said, the L1's are definitely no slouch.

I recently had an outdoor ~500 person event, and I found that I was really pushing the subs. This was with mostly rap/dance music, so I wasn't too surprised. I suppose adding more subs would just cause room nodes and cancellation.

I think I'll be heading to the Bose forums. Thank you all for the advice.

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2016, 10:10:47 PM »

What a warm welcome to the LAB forums...

Thanks for the advice.

Andy...

You won't find much love for Bose here, that's a fact.  There are many acronyms and rhymes on the subject, but I'll offer yet another:

Those who knows don't use Bose.

Sorry.

Edit:

For your stated purpose the sad fact is that pretty much ALL the L1 type systems will come up short of accepted standards regardless of manufacturer.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2016, 11:02:01 PM by dick rees »
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Andy Lancaster

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2016, 11:22:18 PM »

I understand that not many people in professional circles like the Bose system, but I didn't expect such a disheartening discussion. Thank you for the input though.

Chuck Simon

• Pittsburgh, Pa.
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2016, 11:27:20 PM »

I played in a band that used the L1s, one per side, each on a JBL PRX618S-XLf and they sounded really good.  We got a lot of positive comments about the quality of the sound. Best choice?  Probably not, but it worked.

David Buckley

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2016, 11:35:30 PM »

Get the sub and the iNuke, add a Behringer DCX2496, and don't bother plugging in the B10s.  For a "teen dance party", it should be fine.  If you want to live on the bleeding edge, you could keep the B10s and run effectively a three way system with low bass on the Yorkville, mid bass on the B10s, and L1s.

But... You'll get damned little respect hereabouts, Bose is hated by most sound professionals, and many regard everything Behringer make as utter junk, though now they have three year warranty and the digital products are actually not bad in absolute terms and very good at their price point, the hate is diminishing a bit.  So a Bose/Behringer rig won't get much love from the pros, even though in context it'll be just fine.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2016, 11:35:30 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.059 seconds with 23 queries.