ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: Most rider friendly & requested consoles over next 5+ years?  (Read 45494 times)

Jim McKeveny

Re: Most rider friendly & requested consoles over next 5+ years?
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2016, 09:12:38 AM »

Where are these riders coming from? East Coast, West Coast, Europe, Asia, Australia/NZ, all have their individual trends, and those trends may skew by music/performance genre.

Chasing riders isn't necessarily the wisest business plan. Everything else needs to be in place with a history of above-par execution.

(FWIW: DiGiCo)

Jason Raboin

• Klondike Sound
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2016, 09:37:50 AM »

The consoles that artists are carrying is not a good indicator of what a regional provider or venue should invest in.  Those artists are carrying.  We do not need to supply consoles for them. 

What are your highest profile clients that are NOT carrying asking for? 

I find that Digico is tough to get going from scratch for a one off.  Do the files transfer between models?

I love my S3L but wouldn't want it for a venue doing one offs.  The S6L would be a good choice if you can afford it (really if your clients can afford it).  The Profile is 10+ years old.  Avid does the best job of file compatibility between models.

The DLive may sound great, but I do not think it would be a wise investment for a sound company with artist engineers.

I think Yamaha QL/CL is the best choice of the current crop of consoles.
Jason Raboin
Partner
Klondike Sound

John Rutirasiri

« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2016, 10:04:10 AM »

Chasing riders isn't necessarily the wisest business plan. Everything else needs to be in place with a history of above-par execution.

Amen. 
That's exactly how dB Sound/MDS (who used to be one of the biggest sound companies in Chicago) sunk.

I just can't see how one recoups a $50K+ console before it becomes also-ran.
A Yamaha CL makes a lot of sense if it were me.

John R.
ClearImpact Sound & Event Services, Inc.
Sound/Lighting/Corporate A/V

"If it ain't broke, make it better."

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2016, 01:52:04 PM »

Amen. 
That's exactly how dB Sound/MDS (who used to be one of the biggest sound companies in Chicago) sunk.

John R.

+1
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

Doug Fowler

• Member since May 1995, 2nd poster on original LAB, moderator on and off since 1997, now running TurboMOD v1.826
  • Administrator
  • Saint Louis, MO USA
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2016, 05:45:34 PM »

Amen. 

Care to elaborate?
Brawndo, the Thirst Mutilator. 
It's got electrolytes. 
It's got what plants crave.

John Rutirasiri

« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2016, 06:11:40 PM »

Care to elaborate?

Doug, the story is the rental arm of MDS (the other divisions being the mail order catalog and service center) bought new systems to meet national act riders and get the gigs.  They'd turn around and try to dump the gears as soon as (or even before) the tour was done.  And the cycle starts again.  But they could never fully recoup the investment doing that. The other divisions did well, but the rental division just drained them financially.   It was pretty much a duopoly between DB and Chicago Sound in the 80's and 90's so I could imagine one trying to outdo the other and get caught up in "gotta have the latest and greatest"

Nothing to do with digital consoles though...

John R.
ClearImpact Sound & Event Services, Inc.
Sound/Lighting/Corporate A/V

"If it ain't broke, make it better."

Michael Kurczeski

« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2016, 07:25:51 PM »

Nearly every rider I have seen this year asked for an SD7 or an SD5 (HA!). But nearly all of these shows ended up with a Profile/SC48. I have a feeling the SD10 will be the new toy that everyone wants to play with... But, I also think familiarity, iloks with show files and plug ins will keep the Profile and SC48 kicking for a while longer.

I personally like Midas Pro series all things considered (price, sound quality, usefulness, Etc) but it has been shot down a few times.

« Last Edit: May 01, 2016, 07:31:52 PM by Michael Kurczeski »

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2016, 09:11:49 PM »

Amen. 

John R.

Rumor had it that PRG was interested in contracts and client relationships and was waiting for the Goode Shippe Harry to take on water.  DB Sound was purchased, ultimately, by Clair Bros.

It was a good match.  Harry had a serious client-service focus and hired some pretty good people for his operations.  Ditto down in Texas with ShowCo and Clair's purchase of them.  John (Mr. Martina)  McBride's MD Systems was Clair's first acquisition in the string...

Back to the present, the more I think about it the more attractive a Yamaha CL/QL networked system gets.  The Rio system is getting good acceptance (clock it with a Rosendahl for those that think it makes a difference) and the interface will be familiar to many users.  There will be more and more BEs with CL show files even if they prefer a different mixer.

« Last Edit: May 01, 2016, 09:18:51 PM by Tim McCulloch »
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • Tulsa, Oklahoma
    • My homepage
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2016, 12:03:01 AM »

The Rio system is getting good acceptance (clock it with a Rosendahl for those that think it makes a difference)

Now you done it, Tim! This thread will now run completely off the rails and devolve into an external word clock shit fest!  ;)
Justice C. Bigler
Business Rep, IATSE Local 354
www.justicebigler.com

Jay Brett

« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2016, 12:07:49 AM »

Where are these riders coming from? East Coast, West Coast, Europe, Asia, Australia/NZ, all have their individual trends, and those trends may skew by music/performance genre.

(FWIW: DiGiCo)

I mainly deal with mainstream American acts. A and B list national acts, anywhere from Dwight Yoakam to Macklemore and all things in between. I'm not trying to chase riders, if that were the case a SC48 would have been bought already. I'm trying to find a solid compromise that saves me money and easily functions for the dozens of other non-concert events we do as well.

It seems the CL series, at this point in time might be the safest option.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2016, 12:07:49 AM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.047 seconds with 22 queries.