ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: curious problem with WWB  (Read 6563 times)

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
curious problem with WWB
« on: April 22, 2016, 08:09:23 AM »

Setup...
1 ULX4D receiver and 1 EW500G3 receiver both set to "automatic" ip addressing.
Both units connected to router with CAT5
Wirless enabled router set to DHCP.
Laptop (Mac OS)connected to router with CAT 5 and adapter set to DHCP.
Open WSM software and the EW500 receiver shows as active in software . All good.
Open WWB6 and  shows a network connection and device is available and active on monitor page. All good.

Disconnect CAT 5 from laptop and connect  laptop to wireless anabled router via WiFi. Network adapter set to DHCP.
WSM opens and is active as before. All good.
WWB opens and I select the correct NIC (only 1 shows) and the device and software shows a viable netwoork connection but no devices are available in the software monitor page . Not so good.

So, in both configurations, the WSM software works as expected but WWB only works correctly with a hard wire connection to the router.

Any thoughts or suggestions?
I had an experienced network guy look over the setup and he couldn't find a problem.
Firmware update required or perhaps a bug in the software?
I am going to try the same thing with WIN 10 on Monday.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2016, 09:30:27 AM by Keith Broughton »
I don't care enough to be apathetic

Jordan Wolf

Re: curious problem with WWB
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2016, 09:07:36 AM »

Keith,

You're using a different NIC going wireless than you were going wired; make sure you change this in the Workbench settings.
Jordan Wolf
<><

"We want our sound to go into the soul of the audience, and see if it can awaken some little thing in their minds... Cause there are so many sleeping people." - Jimi Hendrix

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2016, 09:28:17 AM »

Keith,

You're using a different NIC going wireless than you were going wired; make sure you change this in the Workbench settings.
Right!
I should have mentioned that a window comes up with a choice for NIC and I select the one with the IP address that is active.
If that was not selected, the ULXD devices would not show as on the network.

Mike Kahrs

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2016, 07:24:41 PM »

>>WWB opens and I select the correct NIC (only 1 shows)

Why does only one NIC show?  Did you disable the Ethernet NIC?
Why know when you can guess...

Aram Piligian

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2016, 09:06:42 PM »

That reminds me (and might be related) to a bug I've noticed when I'm running a mix of UHF-R and ULX-D wireless.  On my work laptop (Win7), I can never seem to see the ULX-D units with my laptop's wireless card, but I can see the UHF-Rs.  Everything shows up just fine if I'm using my ethernet interface.  However, on my personal mac, I can see everything with no problem.  I haven't done any rigorous testing, but it might be worth looking into.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2016, 09:09:00 PM by Aram Piligian »

Neil White

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2016, 03:20:52 AM »

That reminds me (and might be related) to a bug I've noticed when I'm running a mix of UHF-R and ULX-D wireless.  On my work laptop (Win7), I can never seem to see the ULX-D units with my laptop's wireless card, but I can see the UHF-Rs.  Everything shows up just fine if I'm using my ethernet interface.  However, on my personal mac, I can see everything with no problem.  I haven't done any rigorous testing, but it might be worth looking into.

Have you checked the Windows Firewall settings for the Shure Protocols, and also whether the wireless and wired networks are defined as Home, Work or Public networks? The firewall settings are individual for each of the network types I believe.

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2016, 06:55:36 AM »

Have you checked the Windows Firewall settings for the Shure Protocols, and also whether the wireless and wired networks are defined as Home, Work or Public networks? The firewall settings are individual for each of the network types I believe.
Only 1 NIC (hope I understand what that is) shows with an active IP address.
When the sofware opens, a window opens up with a list of network interfaces to use. They list as "bridge0,en0,en1,en2"...etc
Only one of them shows an IP address and I select it. The IP address shows on a different adapter if wired or wireless..
As noted, the device and software show a network connection but the devices don't show in the list only when using the wireless adapter. "0 devices online"
This is on a Mac, so Windows firewall settings don't apply.

Jordan Wolf

curious problem with WWB
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2016, 07:56:00 AM »

Only 1 NIC (hope I understand what that is) shows with an active IP address.
When the sofware opens, a window opens up with a list of network interfaces to use. They list as "bridge0,en0,en1,en2"...etc
Only one of them shows an IP address and I select it. The IP address shows on a different adapter if wired or wireless..
As noted, the device and software show a network connection but the devices don't show in the list only when using the wireless adapter. "0 devices online"
This is on a Mac, so Windows firewall settings don't apply.
Hmm...that is a bit odd. Are you on the latest software version?

Take a look at the most recent release notes and make sure of which version you need to have installed for that firmware to be recognized.
Jordan Wolf
<><

"We want our sound to go into the soul of the audience, and see if it can awaken some little thing in their minds... Cause there are so many sleeping people." - Jimi Hendrix

Andrew Outlaw

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2016, 07:59:28 AM »

Is the IP address the same scheme for both? I have seen some routers that separate the 2, and will throw out a different address for wireless vs wired. In my experience you have to have the same ip scheme (for example 192.168.1.x on both) and subnet mask to connect through WWB.

Another thing might be some sort of wireless isolation. Some routers, notably Netgear, have a feature that isolates wireless devices to prevent them from seeing other devices on the network. When you are, for example, setting up wifi for a meeting or restaurant or such, you might want to enable that feature to prevent people from being able to see other's computers on the network. But in your situation, that could be something that is hanging you up.

You're definitely doing the right thing when it comes to selecting the network at startup, and there's not much more you can do in the program. I would say you're problem is most likely in the router settings. Try logging on to the router and looking for wireless isolation or things like it, or if you can, switch out the router to a different model and see if that solves your problem.

Aram Piligian

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2016, 08:13:55 AM »

I'll have to look into that.  I wonder what the differences are in how the ULX-D and UHF-R implement networking that it would be a problem.  Both units were handed out DHCP addresses from the same router.

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2016, 01:31:43 PM »

Hmm...that is a bit odd. Are you on the latest software version?

Take a look at the most recent release notes and make sure of which version you need to have installed for that firmware to be recognized.
Everything works as expected with the Mac wired to the router so I would think the firmware is compatable.
It's only when the Mac is using the WiFi adapter to connect to the router that there is an issue.
Will look at router WiFi settings.

Erik Jerde

• Classic LAB
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2016, 10:32:56 AM »

Everything works as expected with the Mac wired to the router so I would think the firmware is compatable.
It's only when the Mac is using the WiFi adapter to connect to the router that there is an issue.
Will look at router WiFi settings.

Give everything a fixed ip and make sure you can ping all devices.  Fixed ip on your computer too.  If everything is setup properly it shouldn't make a difference but it's an easy test and if something changes then you've got another data point.

BTW, macs do have a firewall.  Probably not your problem here but check to make sure it's disabled just in case.

Pete Erskine

• Best Audio
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2016, 07:48:24 PM »

Give everything a fixed ip and make sure you can ping all devices.  Fixed ip on your computer too.  If everything is setup properly it shouldn't make a difference but it's an easy test and if something changes then you've got another data point.

BTW, macs do have a firewall.  Probably not your problem here but check to make sure it's disabled just in case.

Particularly with fixed IP and MacBooks, be sure to disable app Nap in WWB Info.  If not disabled some wireless will turn off and not connect.  I had this problem until Josh Flower showed me this.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2016, 01:39:29 PM by Pete Erskine »
Pete Erskine
917-750-1134
www.bestaudio.com
[email protected]

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2016, 07:48:24 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 22 queries.