ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Void Acoustics AirMotion. Need advice for a cheaper sub to pair (SRX828sp owner)  (Read 17723 times)

Steve Garris

Thanks Art. The SRX based on specs can only go 120Hz.

Ivan's advice is what I was thinking too. Do those things just sit on a pole? I can't really tell from their web site.

David Morison

• SR Forums
  • Aberdeen, Scotland

Ivan's advice is what I was thinking too. Do those things just sit on a pole? I can't really tell from their web site.

A quick google suggests pole is definitely an option:

Josh Evangelista

You are talking about an ELECTRICAL hole-NOT an acoustical hole.

In almost every case-the subs will be run at quite a bit higher level than the tops.

So the ACOUSTICAL crossover will actually be higher than the electrical.

There are a lot "it depends" in this situation and assumptions (such as do the full range boxes go to the rated low end response flat? or are they rolled off by some amount or a large amount at that that freq).

My guess is that there will not be a hole (unless you don't have a good alignment between the subs and tops-in which case you could have a HUGE HOLE).

And if the freq response actually overlapped-with a bad alignment- you could actually have a LARGER HOLE than if they don't overlap.

Simple numbers often give simple wrong answers

If the Airmotions can go lower until 140hz and the SRX828sp high up until 120Hz, dont you call that a hole granting the other variables are present?

Josh Evangelista

The poles are sold at the time you buy the speakers. Its made by Void.

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA

If the Airmotions can go lower until 140hz and the SRX828sp high up until 120Hz, dont you call that a hole granting the other variables are present?
NO.

Only if the subs are ran at the same acoustic level as the tops.

I have NEVER seen ANY DJ or dance or EDM system run that way.

In many cases the subs are ran 20-25dB HOTTER than the top.

So there would actually be a overlap of freq-NOT a hole.

But of course without seeing the actual freq response, it is hard to be 100% sure.

As I said earlier, electrically they would "appear" to be a hole, but ACOUSTICALLY (the important area) there won't be.

It is IMPORTANT to understand that the sound does not STOP at the crossover points or upper or lower freq response points, but rather SLOPES at some rate.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2016, 03:25:54 PM by Ivan Beaver »
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Josh Evangelista

NO.

Only if the subs are ran at the same acoustic level as the tops.

I have NEVER seen ANY DJ or dance or EDM system run that way.

In many cases the subs are ran 20-25dB HOTTER than the top.

So there would actually be a overlap of freq-NOT a hole.

But of course without seeing the actual freq response, it is hard to be 100% sure.

As I said earlier, electrically they would "appear" to be a hole, but ACOUSTICALLY (the important area) there won't be.

It is IMPORTANT to understand that the sound does not STOP at the crossover points or upper or lower freq response points, but rather SLOPES at some rate.

Gotcha. I didnt realize that but right I think its wise to test and see visually how high can the sub go. Now I just have to figure out if I continue with the SRXs to pair with the Airmotions or buy a diff brand other than a Void sub.

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA

Gotcha. I didnt realize that but right I think its wise to test and see visually how high can the sub go. Now I just have to figure out if I continue with the SRXs to pair with the Airmotions or buy a diff brand other than a Void sub.
It is NOT just a matter of how high the subs can go, but ALSO how LOW the full range cabinets can go.

Very often the freq of the -3dB point on the spec sheet is often -10dB, when looking at THEIR OWN data.  It would take 4 times the power at those freq to make that up.

The "simple numbers" often give VERY WRONG ideas of the ACTUAL performance.

You HAVE to look a bit deeper to the REAL data.

Sometimes they give it to you, sometimes they don't.

It seems to getting pretty popular these days to not provide any real useful data.

That way the manufacturer cannot be "held" to a particular spec.

Coverage patterns like "wide" and "narrow" don't really tell very much. Is "wide" 90* or 120* and at what freq? 

And just how loud is "adequate"? anyway----------

Hey-but it keeps you guessing anyway :)

A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

(Brian) Frost

Ive done some work with void boxes.  Recently Ive been working on a growing trimotion system.  I cant imagine carting them around tho a few companies here do it.  They do sound fantastic.  Your subs will be just fine if you run them high enough.   As to pole mounting, they dont use standard poles tho void sells several options.  Normally they use standard gas pipe that you can get at threaded at home depot.  This is actually nice as you can get several lengths depending on your needs.  Void is rather into custom design tho so Im pretty sure they will fabricate to fit your needs.  Personally Id just stick with the subs you have until you can afford the correct matching subs.  You should be able to make them sound fine with just about any processor. 

Kyle Marriott

I've got about seven years experience with various iterations of the Air Motion and have six in inventory at present - we regularly use them with their own double 18" reflex box which is not going to be a million miles from the SRX you have. Presets will differ based on amp and DSP so really it would be best to pull something together with somebody who can do some transfer functions for you. And yes as Ivan has said the acoustic crossover when you're running the subs at a normal DJ event level is close enough that there is no massively noticeable hole.

What amps and processing are you planning to use with the Air Motion?

Also of note is that the dispersion is conical and closer to 60 degrees, so using the distance pole options and getting them up suitably high means they are very much point and shoot - and at the distances the crowd usually end up being we find that a pair covers quite a sizeable area. In fact this weekend just gone I had one Air Motion a side over 3 of the Stasys X v2 double 18" horn loaded subs for 700 people and it was nowhere near being pushed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: April 27, 2016, 04:30:48 AM by Kyle Marriott »

Josh Evangelista

Ive done some work with void boxes.  Recently Ive been working on a growing trimotion system.  I cant imagine carting them around tho a few companies here do it.  They do sound fantastic.  Your subs will be just fine if you run them high enough.   As to pole mounting, they dont use standard poles tho void sells several options.  Normally they use standard gas pipe that you can get at threaded at home depot.  This is actually nice as you can get several lengths depending on your needs.  Void is rather into custom design tho so Im pretty sure they will fabricate to fit your needs.  Personally Id just stick with the subs you have until you can afford the correct matching subs.  You should be able to make them sound fine with just about any processor.

Thank you! This was a great advice.

ProSoundWeb Community

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.055 seconds with 24 queries.