ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Void Acoustics AirMotion. Need advice for a cheaper sub to pair (SRX828sp owner)  (Read 17717 times)

Josh Evangelista

Hi everyone,

I currently own 4 red SRX835ps together with 4 SRX828sps. Im about to drop the ball on a pair of Void Acoustics Air Motion. I really love the specs and aesthetics of Void. I already own a pair of white Void Airtens which I intend to use as DJ monitors. Currently I get hired for small-medium private DJ club events including weddings but I also would like to get into underground house music events as I promote and DJ these events myself and these Air Motions are really an eye popper for the ordinary clubber. As I cant afford to purchase the Stasys X horn subs, I am thinking of just using my 4 SRX828sp subwoofers to pair with the Void tops for the meantime. However someone told me I will need to have the guys at Void program the sub to match the Air Motions which I think is needed to move from horn to reflex subs, granting I use the SRXs.

I'd like to ask for advice if I should stick with the 4 SRX828sp with 2 on each side, or upgrade to 4 passive SRX828S, or buy something that will pair better with the Air Motions? I plan to sell all 4 SRX835ps, which I am not sure at the moment if it is wise to do. I also plan to stick with the Air Motions for all my events.

Thank you!
« Last Edit: April 22, 2016, 04:49:13 AM by Josh Evangelista »

Ted Christensen

I know this is off topic, but how did you get red SRX boxes? And why?
Danley SH46 / Th115 / EV ZX5 / EV QRX212H / QSC HPR / Lab Gruppen / Chauvet / Blizzard / Allen and heath ilive

Josh Evangelista

I know this is off topic, but how did you get red SRX boxes? And why?

Id like to put some character on the speakers lol. I took off the grilles and had them custom powder coated. JBL says its fine.

Art Welter

• Santa Fe, New Mexico

I'd like to ask for advice if I should stick with the 4 SRX828sp with 2 on each side, or upgrade to 4 passive SRX828S, or buy something that will pair better with the Air Motions? I plan to sell all 4 SRX835ps, which I am not sure at the moment if it is wise to do. I also plan to stick with the Air Motions for all my events.

Thank you!
Josh,

It appears a "visually striking appearance for style-led environments" is your primary goal, as the 50 degree horizontal dispersion and 140 Hz lower cutoff of the Void Air Motions is unlikely to work well for all your events, unless they all happen to be in shotgun shacks.

The SRX828sp won't be the weak link in the chain, though 140 Hz is on the high side for them. I'd suggest hanging on to the SRX835ps until you have had a chance to compare them to the Void, and determine that the Void does what you want from an audio standpoint.

Art

Josh Evangelista

Josh,

It appears a "visually striking appearance for style-led environments" is your primary goal, as the 50 degree horizontal dispersion and 140 Hz lower cutoff of the Void Air Motions is unlikely to work well for all your events, unless they all happen to be in shotgun shacks.

The SRX828sp won't be the weak link in the chain, though 140 Hz is on the high side for them. I'd suggest hanging on to the SRX835ps until you have had a chance to compare them to the Void, and determine that the Void does what you want from an audio standpoint.

Art

Thanks Art. The SRX based on specs can only go 120Hz.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2016, 10:05:13 PM by Josh Evangelista »

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA

Void may be able to give you processing data but I doubt they'll be able to provide you with a Device or Preset file for Harman HiQnet "Audio Architect", the software needed to do this work.  You'll end up building the preset in your subs by calling up a blank preset in the sub with A.A., entering the various parameter settings from Void, and saving it to the sub (and your computer).

I'd think the fantasy "look" of a Void or Funktion One rig is the antithesis of most wedding work.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC

Void may be able to give you processing data but I doubt they'll be able to provide you with a Device or Preset file for Harman HiQnet "Audio Architect", the software needed to do this work.  You'll end up building the preset in your subs by calling up a blank preset in the sub with A.A., entering the various parameter settings from Void, and saving it to the sub (and your computer).

I'd think the fantasy "look" of a Void or Funktion One rig is the antithesis of most wedding work.

The stasys and arcline look pretty normal to me.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Josh Evangelista

Tim I dont think there will be for the HiQnet. My concern right now is the 20hz hole in between the Air Motions and the SRX if I decide to use them together. With weddings, I actually plan to cover them with Airtens which may have an visual appeal as Airmotions are too big and looks weird. However, I will be slowly moving away from these types of events. The bulk of my rentals will be mainly underground DJ events where these Air Motions and the Stasys X can really shine. Its just hard to justify purchasing the whole rig at the moment. I do plan to maintain a variety of brands with Voids being the primary and another prosumer brand as backup for smaller events. However, I am trying to see if I can make money from using AirMotions as front.

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA

Tim I dont think there will be for the HiQnet. My concern right now is the 20hz hole in between the Air Motions and the SRX if I decide to use them together.
You are talking about an ELECTRICAL hole-NOT an acoustical hole.

In almost every case-the subs will be run at quite a bit higher level than the tops.

So the ACOUSTICAL crossover will actually be higher than the electrical.

There are a lot "it depends" in this situation and assumptions (such as do the full range boxes go to the rated low end response flat? or are they rolled off by some amount or a large amount at that that freq).

My guess is that there will not be a hole (unless you don't have a good alignment between the subs and tops-in which case you could have a HUGE HOLE).

And if the freq response actually overlapped-with a bad alignment- you could actually have a LARGER HOLE than if they don't overlap.

Simple numbers often give simple wrong answers
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Steve Garris

Id like to put some character on the speakers lol. I took off the grilles and had them custom powder coated. JBL says its fine.

I don't personally want red speakers grills, but I have to say I think that looks pretty cool. Even better after I went to the Void site.

ProSoundWeb Community

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 24 queries.