ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Monitor/vocal PA speakers  (Read 4260 times)

Lee Buckalew

• Classic LAB
  • St. Louis, MO area
    • Pro Sound Advice, Inc.
Re: Monitor/vocal PA speakers
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2016, 02:48:06 pm »

Hi, just a little background.  I am a freelance engineer and I frequently hire rigs, but it is becoming uneconomical for smaller shows, so I'm putting together a small rig to use in smaller venues and have settled on JBL's SRX 800's as being good sound, bang for the buck FOH.  I was going to buy some Presonus 328's and 315's, for monitor duties, unfortunately there has been a huge price hike in the UK and they are no longer in the budget.  I need 4 decent, self powered speakers that can double for occasional playback system on poles as well as monitors when using the SRX's FOH.  Obvious candidates are things like the Yamaha DSR's, QSC K's, but I wondered if anyone has any suggestion for sleepers that I should be checking out?

I'm in the UK so availability here is important and budget is around 600 - 700 a cab.

Ideally I want something that sounds good, plays nice and isn't a feedback problem with enough oomph to use FOH at a pinch, preferably without any tell tale "fizzy" top end or awkward cabinet resonances.

Tall order I know, much of my time is spent using higher end systems from D&B, Meyer, EAW, Martin, etc, but I know the good MI stuff has got considerably better in the last couple of years, so I'm hopeful that with the help of other board members I can get pointed in the right direction.  Thanks in advance for anyone taking the time to post.  :)

Check out the Martin CDD-LIVE series.  The US based price is very good but I don't know how that translates to U.K. pricing, it may not be as low as you are considering.  The larger models have pricing that is very favorable compared to the SRX 800 series.

Lee
Lee Buckalew
Pro Sound Advice, Inc.

Ron Roberts

« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2016, 03:48:14 pm »

I just picked up a used pair of EV ELX-115p  1000w powered 2-way; although I have *not* yet played them in a large room, in my house they sound great; very powerful; very clear; I believe they are a little lower in price than JBLs or Yamahas, but sound as good or almost as good.   They are very light, only 50 lbs; about $600 to $700 each brand new.  They have a beveled corner so that they can be used as a floor monitor or put on poles or stacked on a sub.

Luke Geis

• Owner of Endever Music Production's
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2016, 04:26:08 pm »

I am in another camp perhaps? I prefer monitors that are bright, clear and have plenty of mid range bark in them. I roll off the lows quite a bit when used as a vocal only wedge and this really helps make them clean up.

My philosophy on monitors is that they are meant to be heard, not sound pretty. Once you get the SPL you need, if you have more room left, then you can make them sound pretty. A monitor that has lots of high end and good strong mids will be very easily heard. Once that is done, then you can tame things down. I have found that speakers with muted high end response ( perhaps some call it more even sounding ) require more SPL for vocal clarity to be achieved. Lets face it, many musicians like to hear the bottom end in both the instrument and their voice. The low end is what muddies things up. With the PA up and running there should be enough low end to fulfill most peoples needs for low end content. If not you can add some back to the monitors. The high end is what is lacking on stage for vocals most of the time. If the artist can sort of hear the main PA, then all the monitor should have to do is fill in the rest of the information. Using these tricks I very rarely have issues with feedback and monitor levels. I even get compliments that it was the clearest mix they have ever had. If I get the random person that says I couldn't hear anything, my response is why didn't you ask then?

Just about any speaker that is sitting near the $1k mark will work very well. The biggest bang for the buck model is probably the EV Live X series. I am not a fan of the QSC K series line, but they do perform well despite my distaste for them. Many have had luck with the Alto SXM112a, but it doesn't get very loud and is probably more suited for singer songwriter and jazz type groups. Sticking to the $600-700 price tag mark limits options, but the JBL EON-600 series is not a bad performer either. The blu-tooth control of it is nice too. db Technologies must have recently lowered prices because their Flexsys FM12 coaxial monitor can now be found for right around the $700 mark!
I don't understand how you can't hear yourself

Stephen Kirby

« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2016, 12:14:58 am »

Comparing the DSR to ELX12, I've found the EV's to be much brighter and more strident.  Played with someone using them in a restaurant gig and he was fighting squealing all night.  Not the cleverest of folks but you could hear where the speakers were really peaky.

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2016, 02:50:40 am »

The biggest bang for the buck model is probably the EV Live X series.

That's what I was going to suggest.

Steve.

Roland Clarke

« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2016, 01:52:23 pm »

Thanks for everyones suggestions and comments,  I think in the greater picture and at my budget, I will probably go with the DSR112's.  Good sound, versatile, good guarantee, it's close enough and having the ability to use them FOH (rather than buying monitors only), makes economic sense.

As for the FOH I'm going to give the JBL SRX's a go.  If my budget was larger I'd be going the new D&B Y7's, but that is my heart speaking, the head and budget is "what can I get that I can make sound close for 1/3rd the budget.

Now I'm looking to compact my cabling, particularly mains.  Weight/space and amount of set-up/tear down is my strategy.

I'll set up a new thread, anyone care to contribute? :)

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2016, 01:52:23 pm »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 25 queries.