ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Budget friendly road cases...2016  (Read 3147 times)

Michael Storey

• San Jose, CA
Budget friendly road cases...2016
« on: April 21, 2016, 08:09:02 PM »

EWI cases have been the de facto standard for budget road cases around here for the last decade. I own several, and for the most part I am happy with them. The only thing I dislike are the wheels. They're easy rolling and seem to hold up well over time, but they are hard and don't go over bumps, rocks and un-even door jams like a decent rubber caster from Colson or Penn Elcom. They're also rather loud on rough surfaces.

So I ask, has anyone found a budget case manufacturer that is equal in quality (and price) to EWI, with noticeably better casters?

ps. Anyone happen to know the bolt pattern of EWI casters?

Gordon Brinton

• ID Verified
    • Raw Depth Sound and Raw Depth Video, Carlisle, PA
Re: Budget friendly road cases...2016
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2016, 08:14:40 PM »

Can't answer your question, but the only thing I don't like about EWI cases is that the rack rails have too much paint in the holes. Every once in a while some rack screws refuse to go in and strip the threads.
Member since 2005.

Mark Cadwallader

• Helena, Montana USA
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2016, 10:03:05 PM »

Can't answer your question, but the only thing I don't like about EWI cases is that the rack rails have too much paint in the holes. Every once in a while some rack screws refuse to go in and strip the threads.

A 10-32 USF tap (with a proper tap handle and tapping fluid) is your friend. I pulled one from my tool cabinets to keep at the audio "warehouse" (a/k/a garage).  No need to buy a full tap and die set; individual taps are readily available. Hardware store quality is just fine for this application.
"Good tools are expensive, but cheap tools are damned expensive."

Mike Santarelli

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2016, 10:05:51 PM »

I bought pro-x cases for my k12's for $244 shipped. Was more than impressed with the quality.  Casters are good but nearly as good as my cases with penn elcom casters.

Spenser Hamilton

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2016, 01:47:39 PM »

EWI cases have been the de facto standard for budget road cases around here for the last decade. I own several, and for the most part I am happy with them. The only thing I dislike are the wheels. They're easy rolling and seem to hold up well over time, but they are hard and don't go over bumps, rocks and un-even door jams like a decent rubber caster from Colson or Penn Elcom. They're also rather loud on rough surfaces.

So I ask, has anyone found a budget case manufacturer that is equal in quality (and price) to EWI, with noticeably better casters?

ps. Anyone happen to know the bolt pattern of EWI casters?

If your needs are not too specific and you are patient, buying used cases from a Big Brand case maker can be very economical.

I've rid myself of all my Road Ready and Odyssey cases, I've got a small collection of Clydesdale and ECM cases, most of which I picked up used. Recently picked up a pair of ECM 2x4 cases, similar to what Christy uses, for under $500.
Technical Director - Chatham Capitol Theatre/Kiwanis Theatre

John Rutirasiri

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2016, 09:59:15 AM »

I've rid myself of all my Road Ready and Odyssey cases...

10-4.  I find they have cheap (thin) hardware and casters that don't seem to survive road abuse.n 

A large percentage of road case cost is shipping, so I try to buy from local fabricators who usually cut me deals for will call (no need to pack.)

John R.

ClearImpact Sound & Event Services, Inc.
Sound/Lighting/Corporate A/V

"If it ain't broke, make it better."

Michael Storey

• San Jose, CA
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2016, 05:39:43 PM »

If your needs are not too specific and you are patient, buying used cases from a Big Brand case maker can be very economical.

I've rid myself of all my Road Ready and Odyssey cases, I've got a small collection of Clydesdale and ECM cases, most of which I picked up used. Recently picked up a pair of ECM 2x4 cases, similar to what Christy uses, for under $500.

Good point on going the used route. Unfortunately even though I've been pretty good at checking craigslist and classifieds, the cases that seem to come up around here are beat up, or just wont work for me.

10-4.  I find they have cheap (thin) hardware and casters that don't seem to survive road abuse.n 

A large percentage of road case cost is shipping, so I try to buy from local fabricators who usually cut me deals for will call (no need to pack.)

John R.

Another great point. I actually just found a reasonably priced amp rack that I like with lids that stow away in the rack. Also found a local case maker that seems to make a good product that I will probably go to for utility trunks and other misc cases.

To be honest I'm finally to the point where the quality of gear I'm investing into warrants better cases. Time to bite the bullet I suppose...at least quality cases are generally a one time investment!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2016, 05:39:43 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 25 queries.