ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Where does the musician end and the sound company begin?  (Read 12927 times)

Stephen Kirby

Re: Where does the musician end and the sound company begin?
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2016, 11:08:28 AM »

Agreed that if you are inserting a DI into someone's chain, then you can supply the additional cable.  Most guitarists/bassists have a gig bag with cables in it but do you really want 20' of cable laying on top an amp?  18" will usually reach from on top of an amp and the DI to the amp's input.

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2016, 11:33:27 AM »

Yes, they should have them, but we have all forgotten things.  I once turned up for a gig without my guitar.

If I have a lead, someone can use it.

Steve.

Robert Piascik

• Westerville, OH (near Columbus)
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2016, 12:22:06 PM »

I agree with Gordon and this is a pet peeve of mine also. But I also agree with everything TJ says mainly that it's petty to try to charge for it. I LOVE Ray's idea of gaffing the cable to the box. Lots of good ideas here everyone.

Pi Entertainment Services
Midas M32R / MR18
Behringer X32R
Danley SH50 / SM80 / TH118 / TH115
Fulcrum Acoustic fa22ac
RCF NX 12SMA
Yamaha DSR112 / DZR10
Powersoft X4 / M50Q
Crown iT8k

Chris Hindle

• SR Forums
  • Montreal, Quebec, Canada, Earth, Sol System,......
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2016, 12:31:33 PM »

I can't tell you how many dozens of times I've had musicians ask me to borrow instrument cables to get from their instrument to the DI box. Perhaps I am wrong, but I've always felt that that is part of their instrument. Acoustic guitar players, key board players, and bass players alike really should own at least one instrument cable and bring it to the show. Shouldn't they???

I've even lost a few cables over the years because I was distracted at the end of the show and failed to gather it up. Perhaps I should be renting them instead of loaning them.

My DI cords are all around 2 feet long. No one "borrows" them.
I carry a guitar tuner, and drum key in the tool kit. I won't use them myself, but I "encourage" their use when needed.
After soundcheck, I put fresh 9V in the wireless. Those "spares" are real handy for active guitars and pedals. They'll get through the show no problem. Then, it's up to the musician to sort out his own power needs.
I carry a couple of extra IEC AC cords, because it is the one thing a keyboard will be missing.
The bass player that forgot his axe, and the drummer that forgot his snare were S-O-L
I've had 3 drummers forget sticks, 1 couldn't find his pedal. Also, S-O-L
A SAX player missing a mouthpiece...

In their defense, I forgot something. Once.
After one show, i was off for 2 weekends, so I started system maintenance.
Rig is in a storage facility, and i brought home my crate of interconnects. Going through everything, re-terminating a few questionable connectors, wiling the bar-gunk off everything. You know the drill.
Friday night, I get a call to sub for someone at a street fair for Saturday.
Sure, why not. More money in ,y pocket. Up at the storage at Zero dark stupid to load the van, grab a meal and a helper, and be at the site for 8:00
Unload no problem. Start setting up FOH, and where the fuck are my cables?
Ooops.
Called the wife, and had her grab the "Big Black Box" from under the desk, and ferry it to the site.
By the time I had everything placed, and started discussing band order, the wife gets there with my kit.
No harm, no foul. 2 minutes later, background is playing, 20 minutes later the first band takes the stage.
Face it, we are good, we are not perfect. Just don't tell anyone. We are the ones with all the solutions, after all.
Chris.
Ya, Whatever. Just throw a '57 on it, and get off my stage.

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2016, 12:35:04 PM »

Yes, they should have them, but we have all forgotten things.  I once turned up for a gig without my guitar.

If I have a lead, someone can use it.

Steve.

Only happened to me once, but after that every time I'd open the case I had this flash of my cat having got shut in instead of my guitar...
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Geoff Doane

• Halifax, NS
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2016, 12:53:32 PM »

After soundcheck, I put fresh 9V in the wireless. Those "spares" are real handy for active guitars and pedals. They'll get through the show no problem. Then, it's up to the musician to sort out his own power needs.

That reminds me of one particular guitar player who shows up several times a year as a sideman at my day job.  Even though he's already being paid AFofM broadcast rates, he somehow expects that my employer should also re-battery all his pedals and active guitars.  (He asks.  Every time.) On the last job, I stalled for a bit, but eventually offered him the 9Vs I had just replaced before dress rehearsal in the Sennheiser wireless mics we were using.  To which he replied, "Oh no man.  I don't do used batteries."  Fortunately, I'm well paid enough that I didn't throttle him, although I had to supress the urge.  Instead I found a few more used batteries in the shop, tested them to make sure they were at least 50%, and brought those back for him, with no other explanation.

GTD

dave briar

• Helena Montana, USA
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2016, 01:41:34 PM »

I primarily work for one venue and we will supply 1/4" codes as needed.  They are all 10' and powder blue.  I'm not aware of us ever losing one.  Want black?  Bring you own!

...dave
..db

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2016, 01:57:27 PM »

I don't mind lending out guitar leads.

I have gained many more from musicians leaving them behind than I have ever lost.

Steve.

Chris Hindle

• SR Forums
  • Montreal, Quebec, Canada, Earth, Sol System,......
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2016, 02:41:19 PM »

That reminds me of one particular guitar player who shows up several times a year as a sideman at my day job.  Even though he's already being paid AFofM broadcast rates, he somehow expects that my employer should also re-battery all his pedals and active guitars.  (He asks.  Every time.) On the last job, I stalled for a bit, but eventually offered him the 9Vs I had just replaced before dress rehearsal in the Sennheiser wireless mics we were using.  To which he replied, "Oh no man.  I don't do used batteries."  Fortunately, I'm well paid enough that I didn't throttle him, although I had to supress the urge.  Instead I found a few more used batteries in the shop, tested them to make sure they were at least 50%, and brought those back for him, with no other explanation.

GTD
For someone who "doesn't do used", better show him where to buy pro-packs.
If I'm going to re-battery someone's whole rig, someone's gonna pay for the "service". Especially If I get turned down on an offer of a few good used......
Chris.
Ya, Whatever. Just throw a '57 on it, and get off my stage.

Jeremy Young

• Brown Bear Sound
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2016, 08:54:53 PM »

I bring 1/4" instrument cables, drum sticks, iPod chargers of both variations (who needs backing tracks anyway?)  in my case that also has all my adapter cables, phase reversals, sex changes, laser pointer, cable tester, multi meter, soldering iron, etc. Just about every item in there was added to the box after an event where someone didn't have something. 

The last excuse I got from a bass player who didn't have anything to plug his bass in with was that his bass was right at the verge of max weight for airline luggage without the path cord.  Adding the cord put him over weight, so he put it in his carry on (and then left it in the hotel). 
This was a gig where backline was provided (not by me) but having that cable saved the show.

I'm of the opinion that if I can help with an interconnect I will (all labelled to hopefully keep them from walking off on me) but batteries are where I draw the line.  Your gear needs power, it's your job to provide the means to make your stuff "work". 

I find acoustic players to be the worst for forgetting a patch cable.  For inexperienced players, it's completely possible that they have never had to plug their instrument in before (for songwriting, rehearsing, coffee shops gigs, etc) so shattering their world by turning down a request to borrow a cable will not be forgotten and isn't in my nature. 

I like the idea of gaff taping the cables to the DI, I think I'll try that. 
Brown Bear Sound
Victoria BC Canada
Live Events - Life Events - Corporate Events

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2016, 08:54:53 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 26 queries.