ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: Where does the musician end and the sound company begin?  (Read 9315 times)

Craig Hauber

• Mondak Sound Design - Plentywood MT/Grenora ND
Re: Where does the musician end and the sound company begin?
« Reply #40 on: April 23, 2016, 09:35:19 pm »

Here in the states it seems pretty common for a band to hire a guy to do sound for them for pretty much any reason. Many local bands will even hire a " sound guy " to do sound for them at venues that already have an established and competent sound guy that is already being paid to be there. I have been that guy many times. The funny thing is that most every sound guy in the area knows each other and who is what and how they perform. Luckily in my area, the competition is VERY friendly and there is no bad mouthing and snaking going on! The level of respect is amazing to be honest.

the Santa Barbara scene is very unique in a good way, -I miss it.

If I provide wireless, I will go through 10 sets of batteries if that is what it takes and is required for the use of that product. If I have to tape down 100' of cable with 3" wide Gaff tape ( god does that hurt to do on the pocket book ) I will do it and I won't charge the client for it. My job is to get sound to that position and provide the safety precautions to mitigate possible insurance claims. If a musician forgets a cable, I will have it and I will give it to them to use for the show
Hopefully your rate is high enough that it isn't an issue to be a walking supply-house!  Many places I've been around have a whole "race-to-the-bottom" situation going on with one-nighter band sound rates that even a $45 tab on consumables is just way too high.  I try not to get in those situations but it occurs often and usually when your "helping a friend" or doing those "almost charity" type events -and then I am very clear about what I WON''T be providing. 
Even then I'll make sure none of it is in the building and if a request happens I say "sure, go for it, the cable-kit is over there and feel free to look through it...
 -oh it doesn't have what you need?
I'm sorry wish I could help but you can see that's all I have here."  :-)
Craig Hauber
Mondak Sound Design
-Live PA
-Installs
-Theatre

Luke Geis

• Owner of Endever Music Production's
« Reply #41 on: April 24, 2016, 07:40:29 pm »

You should come back Craig! There is a shortage of engineers........ I am finding more and more that I need to fish gigs out and can't find a guy free to do it. Another cool thing is that the talent level is beginning to rise around here. The small fish are jumping into bigger ponds, but the small ponds are not being filled back up. This year I gave myself  a pretty good raise and nobody could say no! Grant went out of business and now has a small shop in Ventura. Desmond seems to have limited his gigs to his already normal annual gigs and is focusing on his larger corporate client connection. Between those two changing their game plan, there is a huge opening up in the mid level provider market! So much so that I am turning gigs down......

I don't understand how you can't hear yourself

Ryan McLeod

« Reply #42 on: April 25, 2016, 01:05:45 am »

When we expanded into offering Backline, the first 'big gig' waa providing at a local PAC for a touring classic rock act.

Artist is flying in, delayed at airport - leader's pedalboard was lost, and is on the phone with the airline as they pull in the loading dock, loudly explaining that he needs it in an hour.

Time runs out, and he looks over at my Vox AC30, reaches into his bag for cables and jumps the two input channels together and cranks them both to max. As the dials get near the top, the amp makes lots of microphones noise.

Amp was brand new - first gig. As he looks across at me confused, I grabbed the instrument cable that I shipped with it and swap it for his that was jumping the channels together - now the amp sounds better and no more noise.

I got an impromptu hug from the artist, and that instrument cable really did save the day.

Hyam Sosnow

« Reply #43 on: April 26, 2016, 10:25:07 pm »

I'm amazed at what musicians can forget - floor tom legs, kick pedal, GTR pedal boards, batteries, sticks-strings-picks, power cords, keyboard stands.  All things critical to the process of making music.  That some players routinely "forget" stuff makes me wonder about organic brain problems, substance abuse, and marvel at the autonomic nervous system (because these fucks could forget to breathe).

When I was playing drums in a touring band in the 1970s the ONLY time I didn't have everything I needed to play a gig was when the roadies had forgotten to roll down the truck door after load-out. They found the door up at their first gas stop and rolled it back down, thinking everything was OK. They didn't realize anything was missing until they set up for the next night's gig and discovered that a road case with a pair of PA amps and the drum hardware case (the 2 very last items rolled into the truck) were gone. When the band arrived at the gig we found everything set up except for the drums, which were unpacked and sitting by themselves on the floor (I guess the roadies were waiting for the hardware fairy to magically appear with the exact hardware required for my large and not-at-all typical drumset). By sheer dint of luck, there was a drumset being stored at the venue, and after a bit of negotiation, smooth talk, and plenty of lubrication, their owner consented to my using his drums (I used my snare and cymbals). The audience drank and danced, the drums (except for the snare) sounded like shit all night, and the band got paid.

A farmer found the amp case and hardware case about fifty miles from the previous gig (never could figure how they got that far before they lost anything) and got hold of us because we had business cards taped inside the lids of the cases. The roadies made the 300-mile round trip to pick them up (and paid for their own gas). The amps were old (1970-vintage) Cerwin-Vegas, and they worked fine after what must've been a pretty rough tumble. I had heavy nylon straps around the hardware case, and they kept everything together.

Drum key? I always have one with me. (One's in my pocket right now, and I'm fifty miles from my drumset.)

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #43 on: April 26, 2016, 10:25:07 pm »

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up

Page created in 0.046 seconds with 22 queries.