ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Neutrik PowerCon and Martin 600/e  (Read 1650 times)

William Schnake

• Schnake Sound & Light
Neutrik PowerCon and Martin 600/e
« on: April 20, 2016, 09:34:56 am »

We have purchased 12 Martin 600/e wash lights and they will be running single phase 240v and require 3.2 amps per fixture.  I had been considering using the Neutrik PowerCon single phase 20 amp connectors instead of the NEMA L6-20P for the input to the light.  I think that this would give me the ability to safely run 4 lights per PowerCon connector.  I am wondering if anyone else has done this and if we would run into any problems?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Bill
Bill Schnake - Owner Schnake Sound & Light

Avid/Crown/EAW/EV/Midas/RCF/Shure/Yamaha

schnakesound.com

James Feenstra

Re: Neutrik PowerCon and Martin 600/e
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2016, 12:27:02 pm »

you could, but I don't think they make a cable mount blue powercon male connector, you could use powercon true 1 connectors though. There's also no power through on the 600s, so you'd still need 2fers regardless of the connectors used.

on a 20a 240v circuit you could safely run 4 fixtures

Are you planning on modifying the fixture itself?
Elevation Audiovisual
www.elevationav.com
Taking your events to the next level

William Schnake

• Schnake Sound & Light
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2016, 12:48:24 pm »

you could, but I don't think they make a cable mount blue powercon male connector, you could use powercon true 1 connectors though. There's also no power through on the 600s, so you'd still need 2fers regardless of the connectors used.

on a 20a 240v circuit you could safely run 4 fixtures

James, thanks for the reply.

you could use powercon true 1 connectors

That is what I was thinking of using.

I am not sure.  These are all bare ends currently and I had thought about extending the cable on each of the fixture to 20 ft and then putting on a            Powercon True 1. However, I am not sure what the best way to go would be.  If I am thinking of renting the I will probably go with an L6-20.

Bill

schnakesound.com

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2016, 09:29:17 pm »

If I understand what you're saying then yes - you can definitely wire a Powercon connector onto the fixture instead of an L6-20.  The only downside as James mentioned is that you won't really be able to string power between the fixtures without some degree of modification.  You would need to have some sort of enclosure to handle the junction too should you try to put anything besides the basic Powercon or Powercon True plug at the end of the cord.  What I do with a lot of my fixtures is just wire a basic 5-15, L6-20, etc (depending on the circuit I plan on using) to the end of the cord and then build several outlet boxes with the O.A. Windsor product.  You can string Powercon between the boxes in lengths to suit your needs but still have a standard plug on each fixture to connect in.  It's the best of both worlds for what I do, though you could do the entire thing in Powercon if you so desired.  Hope this helps!

-Jeff 

William Schnake

• Schnake Sound & Light
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2016, 01:28:06 pm »

If I understand what you're saying then yes - you can definitely wire a Powercon connector onto the fixture instead of an L6-20.  The only downside as James mentioned is that you won't really be able to string power between the fixtures without some degree of modification.  You would need to have some sort of enclosure to handle the junction too should you try to put anything besides the basic Powercon or Powercon True plug at the end of the cord.  What I do with a lot of my fixtures is just wire a basic 5-15, L6-20, etc (depending on the circuit I plan on using) to the end of the cord and then build several outlet boxes with the O.A. Windsor product.  You can string Powercon between the boxes in lengths to suit your needs but still have a standard plug on each fixture to connect in.  It's the best of both worlds for what I do, though you could do the entire thing in Powercon if you so desired.  Hope this helps!

-Jeff
Jeff, thanks for the help.  I talked with Nate, a good friend and touring LD yesterday and he strongly suggested going with the L6-20 since it is a standard plug used for lighting in the midwest.  So I have designed a 1 inlet to 4 outlet box that is being going to be built by Jim Sprohn over at O A Windsor.  The Powercon idea seem like a good one right up until we took a closer look at use and what others were using.

Interesting that we are both using O A Windsor.

Thanks
Bill

schnakesound.com

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2016, 05:08:45 pm »

Jeff, thanks for the help.  I talked with Nate, a good friend and touring LD yesterday and he strongly suggested going with the L6-20 since it is a standard plug used for lighting in the midwest.  So I have designed a 1 inlet to 4 outlet box that is being going to be built by Jim Sprohn over at O A Windsor.  The Powercon idea seem like a good one right up until we took a closer look at use and what others were using.

Interesting that we are both using O A Windsor.

Thanks
Bill

Great!  Glad to hear you're all set.  The O.A. Windsor product is great stuff, and I'm really happy to see that Jim is able to carry on the legacy that Ken started!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2016, 05:08:45 pm »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.1 seconds with 24 queries.