ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sennheiser EW500G3 into Shure UA844 distro  (Read 4838 times)

Aaron Becker

Sennheiser EW500G3 into Shure UA844 distro
« on: April 19, 2016, 11:39:59 PM »

Hey all-

I've been browsing around on the forums here and a few other places trying to decipher the compatibility of putting some EW500G3 units into a pre-existing Shure distro rack already running some older ULXP systems.

From an RF standpoint, it would appear there won't be any problems. The UA844 will "play nice" with the EM500 units, even given the "bias" voltage the EM500 may put out on the receiver (the UA844 puts out the same voltage and these units can be daisy-chained, so I can't see a problem here).

The part I'm more concerned with is the DC power. I *could* power the new Senny units off the wall-warts they come supplied with. In an effort to clean up rack clutter, I'd like to supply them off the UA844 distro. Only problem, the UA844 documents state it provides 14-18 VDC, and the EM500 manual says "12 VDC." I also don't know if the connector is the same size (Sennheiser doesn't provide great technical data on the size of the connector, or schematics) or if there is any type of voltage regulation taking place that would protect the receiver from the extra 2 volts, I'd hate to blow the PSU in the RX.

I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with this - or any better documentation for the Sennheiser receivers besides what's on their website. I do have a email in to Senny tech support regarding this. Oddly enough, I was looking at the documentation for the older G1/2 series, which DID accept 10-16 (rough estimate, but it was a range), so I'm shocked they would lock it down to 12VDC on the newer equipment. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

Andrew Outlaw

Re: Sennheiser EW500G3 into Shure UA844 distro
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2016, 08:47:28 AM »

I can say that using the UA844 for the RF will work just fine. I've even done it with the G2 model of that device. If you need more than 4 outputs however, I would suggest the UA845 as it has a 5th output for cascading to another distro so you can have more outputs.

As for the power, I have no experience with this, as I don't even use it for the ULX's we have. Most pro audio gear is typically capable of handling a wider range of voltages than stated, though you want to keep it as close as possible. I would think 14v into a 12v input would work if you had to, but I wouldn't recommend it for a long term solution. I'm not sure if the size of the connector or polarity is the same, but I do know another problem you might run into is that shure uses a locking screw design whereas the em500's don't.

I actually think that RF Venue's Distro 4 might be a better choice for you. It's a little cheaper than Shure's products, and has 4 DC outputs with a voltage of 12v. They also now have a cascade model available.

Aaron Becker

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2016, 02:36:36 PM »

I currently own a 844, so I'll be using that for the RF for now. Until I hear back a firm answer on the power input from Sennheiser, I'll stick with the wall warts the receivers came with. I would of course check polality before running the unit live, even if everyone told me it was okay (that way it's my fault when it doesn't work!).

Also-the 844 comes with both locking and non-locking power cables, whether they will fit is another story!
« Last Edit: April 20, 2016, 02:44:29 PM by Aaron Becker »

Russell Ault

• Edmonton, AB
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2016, 02:55:08 PM »

Until I hear back a firm answer on the power input from Sennheiser, I'll stick with the wall warts the receivers came with. I would of course check polality before running the unit live, even if everyone told me it was okay (that way it's my fault when it doesn't work!).

I know it's not a direct answer to your original question, but you inspired me to post another question on this forum about building a DIY power distro system for receivers, which might also solve your problem.

-Russ

Aaron Becker

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2016, 03:15:31 PM »

Thanks for the suggestion!

Sennheiser replied, claiming that powering the receiver with the UA844 will "cause issues." Not much more reasoning given, but enough that I won't try it and risk blowing the receivers. Still leaves me curious though, without a real solid reason. Oh well.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2016, 07:27:02 PM by Aaron Becker »

Andrew Outlaw

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2016, 07:15:00 PM »

Thanks for the suggestion!

Sennheiser replied, claiming that the receiver will "cause issues." Not much more reasoning given, but enough that I won't try it and risk blowing the receivers. Still leaves me curious though, without a real solid reason. Oh well.

And that was in reference to using the ua844 to power the receivers? Surprised they didn't give more of a reason. Still, they're right in that you always want to power a piece of gear with the correct voltage. (Except when all you can find is a 12v PS for a 9v piece of gear and you have to make the show happen in 10 mins)

Aaron Becker

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2016, 07:26:18 PM »

And that was in reference to using the ua844 to power the receivers? Surprised they didn't give more of a reason. Still, they're right in that you always want to power a piece of gear with the correct voltage. (Except when all you can find is a 12v PS for a 9v piece of gear and you have to make the show happen in 10 mins)

Yes.

Sorry, my post should have read, "Sennheiser replied stating that the UA844 would "cause issues" to the receiver if used to power it and thus should not be done. I was shocked they didn't give more of a reason too.

::) Why can't everything just have IEC power cable connections? *sigh*

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2016, 07:26:18 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 25 queries.