ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: QSC KW122 vs Yamaha DXR12/DXR15?  (Read 12374 times)

Richard Penrose

QSC KW122 vs Yamaha DXR12/DXR15?
« on: April 16, 2016, 03:43:07 pm »

Hi,

Has anyone had any experience with both the QSC KW122 and the Yamaha DXR12 or preferably DXR15's?

I'm wondering how these speakers compare regarding tone and output?

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
Re: QSC KW122 vs Yamaha DXR12/DXR15?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2016, 03:45:46 pm »

Hi,

Has anyone had any experience with both the QSC KW122 and the Yamaha DXR12 or preferably DXR15's?

I'm wondering how these speakers compare regarding tone and output?

I think a fairer comparison would be the QSC against the DSR112.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Richard Penrose

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2016, 06:25:42 pm »

Quite possibly but I'm more interested in the KW122 vs the DXR series.

Mike Santarelli

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2016, 07:37:14 pm »

I can tell you that I originally bought the dxr12 without trying them out first. They are great sounding little speakers.  One thing I liked is they are symmetrical so you can use either side for monitor placement but lacked rubber feet and worried they would get messed up.

I went to a store that had the dxr12 and k12. I found the k12  better for vocals and had more presence.  The dxr is no slouch but I sent mine back a got k12's. 

The kw122 is a very good unit.  I have used them and had no issues. Slightly warmer than the k12 and more natural IMO.

If I had to do it over I'd probably go with dsr12's over any speaker priced in that range.   

Scott Bolt

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2016, 08:12:42 pm »

Your DXR15's are very likely the best "speaker on pole" solution in the market today for a cross section of usage models.  I am not even sure that paying 2x the money would get you a much better speaker.

The KW122 will pale compared to the bottom end of the DXR15.... but then, all 12" 2 ways I have heard would.  I am assuming that you know this already.

Now I follow your posts and know that you have just purchased a (pair of?) KW181's.  Those are find subs.  I suspect that they will actually out-run a DXR15 (when putting the DXR's over the KW's).

In the "speaker over sub" category, the DSR112 is the best I have heard.  One DSR112 will easily out-run a single KW181 and stay crystal clear all night long doing it (in fact, I think you could just about run a single DSR112 over a pair of KW181's and have them run about even).

Now, having said this, since you already have KW181's, a KW122 would certainly look better since it would give you a matched system.

So it really comes down to looks.  If you want the system to look the best, I would say the KW122's are your ticket.  These are pretty darned good sounding speakers too.

If you want the very best sound possible, I would say that the DSR112's would be better.  Not night and day better, but noticeably better to my ear.

Both the KW122 and DSR112 will out-run a DXR15 when being used as a top over sub.  Neither one will hold a candle to the DXR15 stand alone.  The DSR112 wouldn't even be close since it really doesn't even try to put out really low frequencies (the engineering team at Yamaha obviously decided that this speaker was squarely aimed at the top over sub market).

If at all possible, I would go try both the KW112's and the DSR112's over KW181's at a music store.  I realize you are in Europe and it might be impossible :(

Steve Garris

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2016, 08:40:28 pm »

A friend of mine has a KW118/112 system that I have run a view times. After having some experience with Yamaha DSR's and JBL PRX systems, I find I don't care for the sound of the KW tops. They have a darker, hollow sound (hard to describe) and the high frequency dispersion is just not as good when compared to my DSR's or JBL's.

Having said that, I do like the sound of the KW118.

Jay Barracato

• Solomons, MD
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2016, 11:11:01 pm »

I still say the sound on any given show is 30% the program input, 30% the physical space you are in, 30% the skill of the operator, and only 10% the actual model of speaker while comparing in the same basic price/performance range.

Yet we spend 90% of our time taking about the 10% kike it makes some colossal difference.

I know buying any big speaker set is a big deal for most people because we are trained to second guess by advertising but asking for a consensus opinion on which sounds best is like saying you are ready to buy a new car and asking people to tell you their favorite colors. A music store comparison is like watching the car dealers virtual road test on a computer.

What I really want to know for  a two top or two top with sub show is how far from the baseline settings  I am going to have to stretch things to get the results I want.

I have done shows with both speakers mention plus jbl powered, plus rcf, plus Mackie, plus fbt, plus peavey, plus some I have forgotten, plus some I never knew what they were. About all I care is that they are working as designed. I have had lousy shows on good speakers and great shows on lousy speakers. In the end if you can't get a good show on any of the major brands something is really wrong with how you are trying to do a show.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: April 16, 2016, 11:16:53 pm by Jay Barracato »
Jay Barracato

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2016, 01:01:48 am »

Your DXR15's are very likely the best "speaker on pole" solution in the market today for a cross section of usage models.  I am not even sure that paying 2x the money would get you a much better speaker.

The KW122 will pale compared to the bottom end of the DXR15.... but then, all 12" 2 ways I have heard would.  I am assuming that you know this already.

Now I follow your posts and know that you have just purchased a (pair of?) KW181's.  Those are find subs.  I suspect that they will actually out-run a DXR15 (when putting the DXR's over the KW's).

In the "speaker over sub" category, the DSR112 is the best I have heard.  One DSR112 will easily out-run a single KW181 and stay crystal clear all night long doing it (in fact, I think you could just about run a single DSR112 over a pair of KW181's and have them run about even).

Now, having said this, since you already have KW181's, a KW122 would certainly look better since it would give you a matched system.

So it really comes down to looks.  If you want the system to look the best, I would say the KW122's are your ticket.  These are pretty darned good sounding speakers too.

If you want the very best sound possible, I would say that the DSR112's would be better.  Not night and day better, but noticeably better to my ear.

Both the KW122 and DSR112 will out-run a DXR15 when being used as a top over sub.  Neither one will hold a candle to the DXR15 stand alone.  The DSR112 wouldn't even be close since it really doesn't even try to put out really low frequencies (the engineering team at Yamaha obviously decided that this speaker was squarely aimed at the top over sub market).

If at all possible, I would go try both the KW112's and the DSR112's over KW181's at a music store.  I realize you are in Europe and it might be impossible :(

Would it not be more fair to compare the KW152 to the DXR15?  I don't have any in my inventory, we have the KW122, KW153, KW181, HPR152 and HPR122.  The HPR152's we use as drum monitors and side fills.  I think my partner may have run them as mains, not sure. 

For a couple of years I second guessed my decision to buy the QSC as the DSR's came out about 6 months after I purchased my second system.  I have finally reconciled myself to the fact that it doesn't matter.  We take great care of our clients and the QSC's are a fine tool that work hard for us every night and we have had only a handful of drivers and one amp need to be replaced.  I have never had a customer say "hey dude, great show but we are going with Unicorn Audio because they have DSR's"

We have 16 KW181's, 4 KW153's, 8 KW122's, 6 HPR122's and 2 HPR152's

The 153's over a pair of 181's is a fine system.  I frankly am amazed and what we can do with it.  The 122's over 181's are our workhorses.  The HPR's are heavy and they have been relegated to monitor duty and backup.

I say this to save you the doubt and questioning of your decision.  Pick the vendor you want to be your partner and get going growing your business.

Best of luck to you.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Scott Bolt

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2016, 08:02:08 pm »

The 153's over a pair of 181's is a fine system.  I frankly am amazed and what we can do with it.  ....
Absolutely.  I have a neighbor down the block (within a rocks throw) that has this setup.  It is a killer system.  I really love the sound of those KW153's ..... I just hate how big they are and how heavy they are to move!

Ken Braziel

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2016, 11:36:16 am »

Absolutely.  I have a neighbor down the block (within a rocks throw) that has this setup.  It is a killer system.  I really love the sound of those KW153's ..... I just hate how big they are and how heavy they are to move!

Yep, I have all K-series in our company, there are a couple of festivals that I run four KW153's with four KW181's, hitting limiters all day in the hot sun for a metal-fest for one of them last year without a single issue. Also have six of the KLA's for when they're appropriate.

Just got a pair of KW122's for one of our smaller regular stages (20 shows through the year) because the KW152's are just a little too large for the space, and the 122's can double as monitors on other stages.

I agree with the poster who said pick a brand you will be happy with for future growth, better to use matched sets then to mix & match brands.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2016, 11:36:16 am »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.057 seconds with 23 queries.