ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: clueless about outboard effects - getting started for a newbie  (Read 13631 times)

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
Re: clueless about outboard effects - getting started for a newbie
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2016, 03:22:31 PM »

If given a choice between an online (unknown condition or who did the 'reconditioning') purchase for $1,099, or getting Bob's board for $1,250 -- the extra 10% is well worth the 'warm fuzzy' feeling that you're getting a quality, well-maintained but perfectly functioning machine. You never know what was 'overlooked' in the online dealer's 'reconditioning' process.

Buy Bob's board, if you want to take the digital plunge.

-Ray
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2016, 11:54:40 PM »

If given a choice between an online (unknown condition or who did the 'reconditioning') purchase for $1,099, or getting Bob's board for $1,250 -- the extra 10% is well worth the 'warm fuzzy' feeling that you're getting a quality, well-maintained but perfectly functioning machine. You never know what was 'overlooked' in the online dealer's 'reconditioning' process.

Buy Bob's board, if you want to take the digital plunge.

-Ray

If Bob will sell you the board and spend a few hours with you for $1250 you should run to his house.

It would be like Steve Jobs selling you an old computer and saying he will give you a few tips on programming when you pick it up.

The money you are going to spend on cables, the heartache learning the patching process all to get less results.

When I first came in to this forum and took the cotton out of my ears and shoved it in my mouth and started learning I would occasionally take the analog gear out for the kick of getting it all working, seeing 24 rach spaces full of EQ and comp and an old LED RTA just for more blinky lights. 

Yeah, I have done that in 2 years now.  The 1250 is screaming deal.  You can sell the Midas and probably will have spent less than you would have on cables, racks and power strips.  Chiropractic visits count too.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Ned Ward

• SR Forums
  • Redondo Beach, CA
    • Our band's page on Facebook
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2016, 11:11:22 AM »

When I first joined up here, I had upgraded to a Mackie 1642, and had a separate rack with a dbx 1046, dbx231 EQ, my old SPX90 and a Lexicon MPX500. Setting everything up for shows was a real PITA, and thankfully a few years later I was able to sell all that and get a used Yamaha 01v. Having parametric EQ and dynamics on every channel, plus 2 usable effects gave me better sound than what I had, and in 1 box with nothing to hook up but inputs and speakers.

Fast forward to last year, I sold the 01v and its case and was able to buy a Mackie DL1608 which has an even smaller footprint and it's a lot easier to tweak parametric EQ's on on iPad. Haven't done the remote mixing, but it's a nice added feature.

But for $1250 for that mixer from Bob? Run, drive or fly out to him and buy the board and buy him a beer. Best money ever spent. If I did this more than a few times every other month, I'd jump on it.

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2016, 12:51:28 PM »

Yeah, I have done that in 2 years now.  The 1250 is screaming deal.  You can sell the Midas and probably will have spent less than you would have on cables, racks and power strips.  Chiropractic visits count too.

What's even better is that the OP hasn't yet purchased the Midas; he just has 'the opportunity to do so.' He did mention 'rather inexpensive,' so we don't actually know what his budget is. Ron?

-Ray
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2016, 01:40:14 PM »

What's even better is that the OP hasn't yet purchased the Midas; he just has 'the opportunity to do so.' He did mention 'rather inexpensive,' so we don't actually know what his budget is. Ron?

-Ray

Based on the original post, it seems as though he's looking at a 32 input console.  Depending on which console he's working on, the value of the console may still be higher than an entry level digital console.  If he's getting it at a super steal of a price, it's possible to buy the console and sell it, then get a digital board.  Of course, with the resale value of analog consoles in free-fall, this is a bit of a risky proposition.
Brian Jojade

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2016, 03:52:28 PM »

You guys are all too kind. However, if the OP is close enough to the Boston area I would be willing to spend as much time as needed to get him up and running.

It kills me to see shelves full of analog outboard  gear on shelves in my basement, right beside an Expression in a box, sitting beside a half dozen Fender amps ready to move.

I guess it's time to put a list together and get my Ebay account heated up again.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2016, 03:54:19 PM »

Hey Ned Ward. Look at what mommy gave me for xmas this year. That's a Gibson ES-345 historic out of the Memphis custom shop.

BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

Ned Ward

• SR Forums
  • Redondo Beach, CA
    • Our band's page on Facebook
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2016, 05:58:06 PM »

Hey Ned Ward. Look at what mommy gave me for xmas this year. That's a Gibson ES-345 historic out of the Memphis custom shop.
Bob - Wow. Just wow. Congratulations! I'm hoping that you play the snot out of it through all your amps regularly.

Not even close in comparison, but I got this for my birthday. Excited, but not nearly as much as yours... the sound is unbelievably transparent.

Ron Roberts

« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2016, 06:29:56 PM »

I see in your first post in this thread that you are in Fairfield CT, So am I. I would be willing to get together with you some time and talk with you about sound.

hey Kevin!   What a small world - you are in Fairfield, CT?
That's cool; yes I would love to get together.  Let me buy coffee - at least!
I am acquiring equipment but I am kind of stuck on the analog vs. digital board dilemma - and the all-important effects and how effects seem to be smack-dab in the middle of the analog vs digital decision.   The higher end analog boards like Midas, A&H, Soundcraft, Mackie don't seem to have any effects at all.  But I'm tempted to go high-end older analog because they have become so darn cheap.   But of course I have to have decent effects.... and now I'm seeing some or most of the entry-level digital boards have effects.... but then I have the digital learning curve.   So either way I go it looks like I'm going to have to study and learn - which of course is a good thing.

Where are you in Fairfield?   I am in the Stratfield/North Stratfield neighborhood.
I have been in Fairfield for almost 20 years now.
I would like to meet and have some coffee and chat.
To be honest... I am not exactly sure where I am going with this yet.... but I am definitely putting together a fairly decent rig.
So far I have:

(2) EAW LA325 mains
(2) TurboSound TXD-118 Subs
(2) TurboSound TXD-115 Mains (or monitors)
(1) EWI 32x8 150 ft analog snake on rolling spool in case
(2) QSC RMX2450 power amps
(2) Peavey SP-3 mains (antiques!)
(2) Yamaha EM300 powered 12-channel mixing boards (yes you read that right - I have two of these antiques - I have used it for practice and one as a spare
(1) dbx driverackPA
(1) dbx 1231 2-channel 31-band analog equalizer
(1) Behringer Ultragraph Pro 2-channel 15-band eq
small collection of Shure mics and stands.

I am actively looking for Subs... something pro-grade, either EAW, JBL, Yorkville, etc.
The guy I bought the LA325's from says the EAW SB250's work well under these cabs - he says better than the LA-118s (even though the LA 118's are designed to have the LA325s sit on top of them) because the SB250s have much more cabinet resonance than the single 18" style subs.

And of course actively looking for/deciding about the board.... and always on the lookout for more used inexpensive Shure SM57s, 58s and Betas...

So I have a long way to go and a little budget left.
I'm not sure yet if I will be using this rig for my own band or to rent out or a combination of both.  I just know I have to do this...

I have been jammed up this last week with work and the tax deadline...
but give me a call and lets get together.

Ron   

« Last Edit: April 16, 2016, 12:50:48 AM by Ron Roberts »

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2016, 07:25:28 PM »

Bob - Wow. Just wow. Congratulations! I'm hoping that you play the snot out of it through all your amps regularly.

Not even close in comparison, but I got this for my birthday. Excited, but not nearly as much as yours... the sound is unbelievably transparent.

Those are hard to get Ned. Best $100 pen holder on the planet. Cool, very cool.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2016, 07:25:28 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 24 queries.