ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Upgrade portable stage lighting to LEDs  (Read 9613 times)

Graham Spice

Upgrade portable stage lighting to LEDs
« on: April 11, 2016, 05:55:21 PM »

I have 2 light trees with 4x Par56 300 Watt fixtures. They have served as stage lighting at many gigs and events in the area throughout their 20 years of life. But...now my back is tired of lugging all that stuff around and would love a smaller package.

I generally have used these 2 light trees right behind the FOH speakers at the downstage edges to light a stage. You can imagine that the lights have been between 10 and 20 feet away from the farthest corners of the stage.

I'd like to replace with LED lights that are brighter and lighter than my current setup. I experimented with the Chauvet 4BAR Tri USB product. It has a nice small bag that each tree of lights can be transported in. But...it wasn't bright enough. The specs on those were 28 LEDs (tri-color RGB) 3 W (1 A) and they were rated at 2,330 lux @ 2 m per pod.

I realize there may not be a pre-packaged bar like that one I tried available so I've been looking at individual fixtures to build my own trees with. I've reviewed various instruments from Blizzard, Chauvet, and ADJ - they all seem to have good options. At the end of that process...I'm a bit overwhelmed by the options.

I've read that some folks like fixtures with a lens so that there aren't these strange glowing LED eyes up in the air and I agree with that. I don't want the audience to focus on the lights in any way - they should just be bright and provide good colors. I like the idea of having a zoom but am concerned about the longevity of a motor in a fairly inexpensive fixture like these.

In terms of coverage/spread, I have tended to use the PAR56 lights to focus a color onto individual band members or a small area of the stage. I expect that I'd continue to do something like this with these LEDs. That said, the PAR56 coverage is a pretty wide wash which has generally been fine.

Let me know what your suggestions are. I'm never in situations where I have dedicated front light to compliment this setup so these two trees of LEDs should be able to provide ALL the light that would be needed to light a small stage with a max of 6 or 8 band members for an audience of anywhere from 50 to 200 people. Due to the flexible demands of the system, I'm willing to spend somewhere between $2000 and $3500 total on all fixtures and stands.

Thanks in advance for your advice!

Robert Piascik

• Westerville, OH (near Columbus)
Re: Upgrade portable stage lighting to LEDs
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2016, 07:53:04 AM »

I use a similar set up often and I have four Blizzard q12a mounted on a crossbeam on top of a USS stand (similar to the 4BAR set up) it is plenty of light for the size stage you're talking about. The fixtures stay mounted and wired on the crossbeam, just apply power and signal and ready to go. I'm sure others will chime in with a dizzying array of choices as well. I think you have a completely realistic budget, my set up was at the low end of your numbers and if you can spend up to $3500 I'm sure there will be many fancier options as well. In another thread people were talking about transporting this kind of set up in a 76-key soft keyboard case (a brilliant idea I'm going to investigate).

I'll be following this thread to see what others will suggest also.

Good luck!

Pi Entertainment Services
Midas M32R / MR18
Behringer X32R
Danley SH50 / SM80 / TH118 / TH115
Fulcrum Acoustic fa22ac
RCF NX 12SMA
Yamaha DSR112 / DZR10
Powersoft X4 / M50Q
Crown iT8k

Steve Garris

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2016, 01:43:36 PM »

Be advised, you're going to have to learn DMX programming, and acquire a controller in order to make this work. Another thing, the LED lights will run very cool and have little power draw as compared to Par 56 lights, but they won't be any lighter in weight.

The COB lights with lenses have wide beams, but are often the dimmest of the LED per given wattage and price point. You can see this by looking up their spec's (ADJ Dotz, etc).

I use some name brand lights, and more recently I've been acquiring some cheap Chinese lights that I consider disposable at $50 each. These lights have (7) 10W Led's, and through about the same amount of light as a Par 56/300, but in a narrower 25 deg beam. I use them differently though, more of a "back lighting" effect. These lights are still better and brighter than any 4-par type fixture I've seen. They're also the lightest weight of any I own.
 http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MO8C766/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=1ZA0LKMGHFMHQ&coliid=I2G56HYIQDP7DT&psc=1

In general, the Led lights that I think look the best have the multi-color led's that are at least 5W each. I prefer RBGA, but have some that are RBGW. Many of these lights are just RBG. Here is a very nice brand-name light that will be super bright, and durable:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B014G9T0UG/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=1ZA0LKMGHFMHQ&coliid=I1X9O10ZOVUCDQ

A friend has these low-cost Led's on (2) T-Bars. They have (7) 5 Watt RBGA Led's, and through a 25 deg beam. In the photo below, they are the pink & blue lights:
http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/LEDJ-LEDJ59B-/555-27075

Some have the older Led lights that have large numbers of fixed-color, 10 mm Led's, or as I call the "Light-Brite" looking lights. I have a couple of these that I use behind drums, and they create moving patterns that look pretty good, but I wouldn't use them as a front or side wash.

Steve Garris

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2016, 03:38:31 PM »

I may have spoken too soon regarding the lens type COB lights. Here is a 150W COB lens light that is most certainly very bright. At $200 it is a bargain. The only downside is the deep Par 64 like can.

http://www.pssl.com/ColorKey/Sale/ColorKey-StagePar64-COB-TRI-150w-LED-Wash-Light

Rob Gow

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2016, 04:28:51 PM »

Here's another one. Flat par style.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/DotzPar

Steve Garris

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2016, 08:39:15 PM »

Here's another one. Flat par style.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/DotzPar

But at only 36W, they're not bright enough IMO. At $150, not that great of light output.

Graham Spice

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2016, 02:40:19 PM »

How can I compare these lights without any in hand? I'm wondering how to compare brightness, coverage, and throw.

Another question:Is it easy to say that a light with 12 x 10 Watts LEDs is brighter than 24 x 5 Watts? Can you compare power consumption to determine brightness?

Finally, how can I compare the COB lights to the LED lights in terms of brightness? Are there other considerations when making that comparison (throw, color, etc)?

Graham Spice

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2016, 02:43:08 PM »

Be advised, you're going to have to learn DMX programming, and acquire a controller in order to make this work. Another thing, the LED lights will run very cool and have little power draw as compared to Par 56 lights, but they won't be any lighter in weight.
I should have mentioned that I have a decent amount of DMX programming experience using DMXIS and ETC hardware controllers. I'm also interested in learning Sunlight Suite as I continue to see it being used with great results in small venues. Seems the busking/live control of this software is very manageable for operators...

Mark Cadwallader

• Helena, Montana USA
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2016, 02:57:43 PM »

How can I compare these lights without any in hand? I'm wondering how to compare brightness, coverage, and throw.

Another question:Is it easy to say that a light with 12 x 10 Watts LEDs is brighter than 24 x 5 Watts? Can you compare power consumption to determine brightness?

Finally, how can I compare the COB lights to the LED lights in terms of brightness? Are there other considerations when making that comparison (throw, color, etc)?

Without having the lights in hand, you have to rely on whatever photometric data is supplied by the maker. Compare lux numbers at the same distance -- the "inverse square" rule applies.  The beam and field of the light also matters. If you take the same lumen output and spread it over a broader area, the lumenous density (lux) will decrease.  When measuring "throw", count the distance from the light to the focus point (usually not the same as the trim height, unless used as overhead worklights).

The listed "watts" of an LED is often "rounded up" to the next highest whole number, so YMMV. Five watts at 10 degrees beam is going to be more intense than 50 degrees. (But less area is covered; see above.)
"Good tools are expensive, but cheap tools are damned expensive."

Graham Spice

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2016, 03:22:03 PM »

Thanks Mark, that's a lot of good info. I'm hoping to put your notes into real-world info.

Can you help me make a comparison between a few of the lights that have been posted here as recommendations:

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2016, 03:22:03 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 23 queries.