ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: .3 Lenses  (Read 4192 times)

Bonnie Lackey

• Bonnie Lackey's Website
.3 Lenses
« on: April 11, 2016, 04:02:31 PM »

How is your company using the new ultra short throw lenses?  Are you only doing rear projection?  Have you used them for front projection?  When do you use them?  When there isn't room to do rear projection?  All the time?  What do you use to adjust the height of the projector?

Bonnie Lackey
Avidex AV
855-442-6664
Bonnie Lackey
Proline / Avidex AV
Seattle
In the Production Industry since 1979

Jordan Wolf

.3 Lenses
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2016, 09:56:22 PM »

If the projector is an offset lens, then I'll set it differently than if I need to have the lens at/above the bottom of the screen vs below it.

I find that if the screen isn't taut, an offset lens (like in the NEC M352WS) will reveal wrinkles and not look nice. A "normal" short-throw lens will lessen this, but you still have to deal with barrel distortion from the fisheye.

The first-surface mirror/folded optics type (Panasonic, for example) can lessen this, but you lose out big-time on lumens.

As far as rear vs front projection, I like not having a hotspot with rear; front is fine if you need the viewing angle and can't afford the loss of seating RP requires.

- Jordan Wolf
« Last Edit: April 11, 2016, 09:59:20 PM by Jordan Wolf »
Jordan Wolf
<><

"We want our sound to go into the soul of the audience, and see if it can awaken some little thing in their minds... Cause there are so many sleeping people." - Jimi Hendrix

Justin Dodd

Re: .3 Lenses
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2016, 05:41:57 PM »

Hi Bonnie,

I have used them in front projection scenarios. Attached is a pic of an event with a 8'x24' center front projection screen with (2) Panasonic projectors with .3 lenses blended. The projectors are sitting on the floor directly behind the stage. We chose to do this as there was no room for RP, and we could not rig in the ballroom to shoot over the presenters.

Best,

Justin Dodd

Scott Richards

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2016, 07:08:45 PM »

I've used the Panasonic 0.3 mirrored short throws a couple times now, front/rear/scenic. Other than being very finicky for line up (I'm usually the projectionist), they're not too bad. Just be aware of the minimum height your screen/surface can be set at with these lenses. I've had one scenario where everything just fit, maybe a half inch of breathing room at most. These folded optic lenses will also show any distortions in your surface, even the barely visible fold marks of fast fold style screens.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2016, 07:08:45 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.046 seconds with 23 queries.