ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Simplifying M10 suspension  (Read 9060 times)

Nitin Sidhu

• New Delhi, India.
Simplifying M10 suspension
« on: April 10, 2016, 04:01:53 AM »

Hello!

lm looking for recommendations which would allow me to prebuild suspension cables of exacting length on the ground, and then snap them to the M10 eyebolts preinstalled on the speakers and the ceiling using something like Carabiners.

Thank you all for your time!

Sidhu
My RTA is always flat.

Cailen Waddell

Re: Simplifying M10 suspension
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2016, 09:13:47 AM »

Aircraft cable with thimbles, compression sleeves and the appropriate compression tool...  Steel carabiners... Done

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nitin Sidhu

• New Delhi, India.
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2016, 09:29:56 AM »

Thank you!

I was concerned about load ratings on Caribiners. I only suppose that if they are rated for mountaineering they should be good.

I have found this :
http://www.adventure18.com/catalog/climbing-gear/carabiners.html

Thank you again.

Regards,
Sidhu
My RTA is always flat.

Jonathan Kok

• Toronto
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2016, 08:15:59 PM »

Thank you!

I was concerned about load ratings on Caribiners. I only suppose that if they are rated for mountaineering they should be good.

I have found this :
http://www.adventure18.com/catalog/climbing-gear/carabiners.html

Thank you again.

Regards,
Sidhu
One would think caribiners would be good for overhead suspension, however, they (generaly) are not. Shackles are the appropriate tool. On the plus side, shackles are generally cheaper than mountaineering caribiners.

http://www.thecrosbygroup.com/products/shackles/screw-pin/

(quick note: As Cailen says, steel carabiners would be fine, but not something you'll find at your local mountaineering store. Shackles are common, and you'll find them the same place you find aircraft cable.)
« Last Edit: April 12, 2016, 08:25:38 PM by Jonathan Kok »

Doug Boyd

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2016, 06:08:26 AM »

Not carabiners - they are for mountaineering.

Quicklinks are the correct item -only use rated units with the WLL stamped into them.

http://www.endurancehardware.com/connecting-hardware-zinc-plated-quick-links.html
for example

Doug

Nitin Sidhu

• New Delhi, India.
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2016, 04:54:34 AM »

Thank you all!

This is the advise I was looking for. Shackles would not be a problem. Ill look around for Quick links also.

Thanks again!
Sidhu
My RTA is always flat.

Tom Burgess

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2016, 01:03:16 PM »

Quicklinks are the correct item -only use rated units with the WLL stamped into them.

http://www.endurancehardware.com/connecting-hardware-zinc-plated-quick-links.html
for example

Doug
Product Description
3/8" Zinc Plated Quick Link
Working Load Limit 1,880 lbs
Price/Each

Quick links are the most popular and easiest to use steel chain link or coupling attachment, designed to be reusable and moveable. Quick links are two-sided thread links that you can easily slide onto two original links. All you have to do is tighten the thread with a wrench.

Not to be used for overhead lifting
(Bold emphasis added by me)
I wonder if overhead lifting and overhead suspending are considered to be the same thing by the powers that be? 
That is to say... are these code compliant for suspending something overhead (given the proper weight and attachment variables) but not compliant for lifting said thing into position from the floor?
If the band sounds great, it's because the band IS great, if the band sound like crap, it's the soundman's fault.

Opinions expressed by me on this forum are my own and not necessarily those of the company for which I work.

Nitin Sidhu

• New Delhi, India.
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2016, 01:24:31 PM »

I have a general question.

Considering pro grade mountaineering equipment, Caribiners would probably be designed to take the load of a, at least, human being, in case of an accident. This considering substantial lateral forces in play also.

Why would they not be considered safe for light rigging ?

Not saying I will use em, Shackles make a lot of sense. But just..

Sidhu
My RTA is always flat.

Charlie Tappa

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2016, 10:54:13 PM »

for example

Doug
Quick links are NOT the correct item!!!!  They are generally made from shit steel in China.  If you look at the bottom of the top paragraph on the website you've linked to you will see it says "NOT FOR OVERHEAD LIFTING"    Beside being made from lousy materials, quick links can't be safety wired shut. 

Use rated forged shackles from a reputable  domestic manufacturer like Crosby,  don't screw around with the wrong stuff,  someones life will depend on it.

John Rutirasiri

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2016, 09:09:28 AM »

Use rated forged shackles from a reputable  domestic manufacturer like Crosby,  don't screw around with the wrong stuff,  someones life will depend on it.

The same advice applies the the eye bolt themselves...I only use Crosby, Chicago, or CM.  No generic or Chinese-made eye bolts.  The shoulder of the eye bolt has to make tight contact with the speaker.

And please use the correct type of shackle.

John R.
ClearImpact Sound & Event Services, Inc.
Sound/Lighting/Corporate A/V

"If it ain't broke, make it better."

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2016, 09:09:28 AM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 24 queries.