ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Generico trussing???  (Read 6417 times)

Chris Edwards

Generico trussing???
« on: April 09, 2016, 02:30:25 AM »

I was originally looking at Tomcat 12 x 12 but stumbled upon the Generico brand when researching.  Pricing is about half the cost of Tomcat and probably follows the old adage "you get what you pay for" but I am curious to hear feedback from others.  How is the quality?  I am mainly going to be using these as truss totems with moving head fixtures on top and occasionally for mounting LCD TVs.

Tamar Ghobria

Re: Generico trussing???
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2016, 06:15:34 AM »

I was originally looking at Tomcat 12 x 12 but stumbled upon the Generico brand when researching.  Pricing is about half the cost of Tomcat and probably follows the old adage "you get what you pay for" but I am curious to hear feedback from others.  How is the quality?  I am mainly going to be using these as truss totems with moving head fixtures on top and occasionally for mounting LCD TVs.

I love mine....its actually BML who is their distributor in NJ....Probably not quite as durable as Tomcat but for my application they are perfect and mate with tomcat and applied

John Rutirasiri

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2016, 09:45:51 AM »

I love mine....its actually BML who is their distributor in NJ....Probably not quite as durable as Tomcat but for my application they are perfect and mate with tomcat and applied

I would have no issue if the truss is used in "totem pole" (vertical) configuration only, or not supporting much load.  But if stringing 40+ feet across a stage or hanging speakers off them, I'm really concern if the "TUV certified welder" really means that (or really means anything.)

John R.   
ClearImpact Sound & Event Services, Inc.
Sound/Lighting/Corporate A/V

"If it ain't broke, make it better."

John L Nobile

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2016, 03:27:02 PM »

I would have no issue if the truss is used in "totem pole" (vertical) configuration only, or not supporting much load.  But if stringing 40+ feet across a stage or hanging speakers off them, I'm really concern if the "TUV certified welder" really means that (or really means anything.)

John R.

40'? I've been told that 32' is max for 12" box truss. So I've never ran it more than that between 2 points. Is 40' safe? Or is it a depends on what you're hanging?

eric lenasbunt

• Bunt Backline Event Services, LLC
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2016, 08:17:05 PM »

40'? I've been told that 32' is max for 12" box truss. So I've never ran it more than that between 2 points. Is 40' safe? Or is it a depends on what you're hanging?

Even Global and Trusst have ratings for 40' span. That's spigoted, not typically nearly as strong.

Ask generico for a spec sheet, they should be able to supply it.

As for my personal experience I have a partnering company that has several 8' sticks of generico and I can't tell the difference between them and the Thomas without really getting up super close examining.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2016, 09:05:57 PM »

Even Global and Trusst have ratings for 40' span. That's spigoted, not typically nearly as strong.

Ask generico for a spec sheet, they should be able to supply it.

As for my personal experience I have a partnering company that has several 8' sticks of generico and I can't tell the difference between them and the Thomas without really getting up super close examining.

Spigoted truss typically has higher loading capacity across a span because the truss chords are continuously connected, rather than terminating at a gusset that is mated to another gusset.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

eric lenasbunt

• Bunt Backline Event Services, LLC
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2016, 11:45:29 AM »

Spigoted truss typically has higher loading capacity across a span because the truss chords are continuously connected, rather than terminating at a gusset that is mated to another gusset.

I stand corrected...

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2016, 12:26:59 PM »

I stand corrected...

Individual sections can have more or less capacity depending on materials, fabrication methods and design.  The advantage of spigoted truss is the increased capacity of the total span.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Mark Cadwallader

• Helena, Montana USA
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2016, 01:15:21 PM »

TUV is the German safety organization that is the mechanical cousin to UL for electrical items. Aftermarket automotive parts have to be TUV certifed in order to be legally installed on road-legal motor vehicles.  Merge SAE, OSHA, and UL and you sort of have TUV.
"Good tools are expensive, but cheap tools are damned expensive."

Craig Leerman

• Global Moderator
  • Do Not Read This!
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2016, 02:39:06 AM »

Take a look at Show Solutions (show solutions.biz). They have a line called the Exhibiter Series (EP) that might save you a few bucks. It's heavier than Global but not as heavy duty as standard Thomas or Tomcat 12x12.  Might be perfect for truss totems and monitor stands.

Craig

Sent from my iPad
I'm so old, when I was doing FOH for Tommy Dorsey, to balance out the horn section I would slide their chairs downstage and upstage to mix!

TechWorksReno.com
Facebook.com/TechWorksReno
Pinterest.com/TechWorks0492

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2016, 02:39:06 AM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 21 queries.