ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Remote Muting of Powered Speakers  (Read 4273 times)

Mark Oakley

Remote Muting of Powered Speakers
« on: March 07, 2016, 09:31:53 AM »

Hi Guys;

I'm working on an install of two systems in a Hindu temple (one upstairs, one downstairs). My problem is that the speakers in the room are powered, the board is in a booth above the room, and when the board powers up and down the speakers will "pop". The breaker for the power to the speakers is in the basement.

What I'd like to do is install some sort of muting switch on the XLR runs between the board and the speakers-the kind found on mic cables with on/off switches. Ideally I'd like to have one switch mute all 4 XLR speaker runs. Any product that does this?

-thanks, Mark
Oakley Audio

David Allred

Re: Remote Muting of Powered Speakers
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2016, 10:19:23 AM »

Since the speakers (apparently) are powered up all the time, why not leave the mixer on as well?
The outputs are easily muted with a switch.
Sever the 2 signal carriers (pins 2 & 3).
Splice a 100 ohm resister in line on each conductor.
Bridge the switch across the splices on the speaker side of the resisters.
Switch ON (closed) is muted.

I got this from some smart people here.  My application used a relay, but a manual switch does the same thing. 

John Rutirasiri

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2016, 02:39:03 AM »

Since the speakers (apparently) are powered up all the time, why not leave the mixer on as well?
YES!!!

For all my installs, I tell the customer to leave everything on except the wireless mics.

There are PDU's (fancy power strips) that are ethernet-controlled, so you can turn on/off individual outlet using a smartphone, laptop, etc.

John R.
ClearImpact Sound & Event Services, Inc.
Sound/Lighting/Corporate A/V

"If it ain't broke, make it better."

Nitin Sidhu

• New Delhi, India.
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2016, 01:40:56 PM »

Sever the 2 signal carriers (pins 2 & 3).
Splice a 100 ohm resister in line on each conductor.
Bridge the switch across the splices on the speaker side of the resisters.

Hi David! Or anyone. Could I be explained how this works ? im trying to get my head around it and failing.

Thanks
« Last Edit: April 24, 2016, 01:45:01 PM by Nitin Sidhu »
My RTA is always flat.

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2016, 04:12:21 PM »

Ideally I'd like to have one switch mute all 4 XLR speaker runs. Any product that does this?

There is probably a prebuilt product somewhere out there, but a 4 pole double throw switch will do it. Wire the mixer output across the outside terminals, and the speaker across the minus audio side and the center position. In one position of the switch the speaker feed will be connected to the audio as normal, in the other the drive will be lifted and the line to the speaker will be shorted. You can do one drive line with each pole of the switch.

Mac

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2016, 06:48:55 PM »

Hi David! Or anyone. Could I be explained how this works ? im trying to get my head around it and failing.

Thanks
The 100 ohm resistors are there to protect the output stage of the device that is driving the powered speakers.  Some devices cannot handle a short-others can.

Either way 100 ohms is not going to drop the level enough to even be noticed.

When pins 2 and 3 are shorted, the line is effectively muted so no signal goes to the speaker.

You could open up the lines, but then there is the possibility of popping.  Shorting them pretty much eliminates this possibility.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

David Allred

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2016, 07:26:20 AM »

Thanks

This will help.  This shows a dpdt relay (stereo signal) and a simplified switch drawing.  This exact relay and resister circuit has been in use for over 16 months.  Switching state every 2 minutes, 8 hrs /day, 6 days a week, with no issues.

Don Ernst

• Ernst Audio Services, Inc
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2016, 09:09:11 AM »

Hi Guys;

I'm working on an install of two systems in a Hindu temple (one upstairs, one downstairs). My problem is that the speakers in the room are powered, the board is in a booth above the room, and when the board powers up and down the speakers will "pop". The breaker for the power to the speakers is in the basement.

Another option is to borrow something from a woodworker's shop.  Get a remote power switch they use to turn on and off dust collection while standing at a power tool.  Some are available with a pocket remote switch.
Don Ernst
Louisville, Ky.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2016, 09:09:11 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.019 seconds with 25 queries.