ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Which water-based hazer?  (Read 9640 times)

Mark Cadwallader

• Helena, Montana USA
Which water-based hazer?
« on: April 08, 2016, 12:43:57 AM »

I'm looking at getting a water-based hazer. I'm looking at the Ultratec Radiance and the Martin Jem. Any recommendations, or alternatives I should consider?  The largest space I'm likely to be in is a proscenium stage 44' x 28' deep, and 44' to the grid.  Approximately 10' or 12' wings.  Thanks for your input.
"Good tools are expensive, but cheap tools are damned expensive."

Terry Martin

Re: Which water-based hazer?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2016, 09:31:38 AM »

Radiance.   No question. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

James Feenstra

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2016, 12:03:33 PM »

Radiance.   No question. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
+1
Elevation Audiovisual
www.elevationav.com
Taking your events to the next level

Caleb Dueck

• Sierra Vista, AZ
Experience is something you get right after you need it.

Mark Cadwallader

• Helena, Montana USA
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2016, 05:30:44 PM »

Thank you, gentlemen. I knew the Radiance was very good, but had heard that the Martin was also good.  The Martin's auto "self clean" feature seemed like a good idea, but execution is everything. I'll save my pennies for the Radiance.
"Good tools are expensive, but cheap tools are damned expensive."

Noah D Mitchell

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2016, 11:53:30 AM »

+2

I'll just add my +3 here. We have a Radiance in a venue that get's used weekly - haze on for 3-4 hours per week. I just went to reorder my 'Froggy's Neutronic Haze Fluid' and Amazon tells me my last order (of just one bottle) was January of 2014. It's remarkable how much life you get out of your fluid with this machine.

Len Zenith Jr

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2016, 05:40:53 PM »

What I like about our Radiance is how easy it is to service. The heat exchanger splits in half with just 4 nuts and takes 5 minutes to clean including taking it down from the truss. When most other exchangers clog up, you either need a new part or a new hazer. The fluid pump in the Radiance is also only $35, cheap enough to have a spare. Ours is in an install so there is always the possibility of someone running the pump dry.

Clogged radiance heat exchanger:

2 minutes with a screwdriver and it looks new again. FYI that is about a year of 3 nights a week use. I think operators are killing the power to the unit without first turning off the fluid flow via DMX and letting whatever is in the chamber vaporize before powering down the heater. No big deal with the radiance, cleaning it is a breeze.

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2016, 05:25:52 PM »

While I agree that the Radiance is a great hazer it did have some issues when heavily hazing in our gym (used for worship concerts) and sanctuary where it was setting off the fire alarm. It was a precise balance between enough haze and setting the system off so we had to disable the active monitoring for a while.

We eventually switched over to an oil based haze for camera's & hang time & no alarm issues anymore. Though oil has its own issues.

We also have a Jem K1 and that unit is great with no issues, though we don't use it in the same venue.

Food for thought. Best!
I'm just a guy trying to do the next right thing.

This business is for people with too much energy for desk jobs and too much brain for labor jobs. - Scott Helmke

Caleb Dueck

• Sierra Vista, AZ
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2016, 11:02:44 PM »

Fire sensors have to be heat based, with sprinklers, rather than particle based.   That's not a weakness of the Radiance or other haze or fog machines, rather a weakness of the fire sensors. 
Experience is something you get right after you need it.

Ted Christensen

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2016, 01:36:24 AM »

I'm looking at getting a water-based hazer. I'm looking at the Ultratec Radiance and the Martin Jem. Any recommendations, or alternatives I should consider?  The largest space I'm likely to be in is a proscenium stage 44' x 28' deep, and 44' to the grid.  Approximately 10' or 12' wings.  Thanks for your input.

Unique has a great one. Compact, efficent. 50 hours of continuous run time on one tank. Little over a dollar a hour to run it!
Danley SH46 / Th115 / EV ZX5 / EV QRX212H / QSC HPR / Lab Gruppen / Chauvet / Blizzard / Allen and heath ilive

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2016, 01:36:24 AM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.047 seconds with 25 queries.