ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Old dog looking to learn new tricks...  (Read 8845 times)

Marc Paolella

Re: Old dog looking to learn new tricks...
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2016, 02:00:17 AM »

For the lighting server have you considered running Windows SBS?  It's expensive but light.  You can turn off all the services you don't need and not have to deal with the auto update crap (I prefer to decide when to apply my updates thank you).

While we are on the subject, I love my 4k display as I am sure you do to but Windows is really dumb about the scaling and doesn't provide good tools for tweaking it.  If I open one more terminal session and am greeted with sub micron fonts I think I will empty my Browning Gold Cup into the damn thing.
Oh don't get me started on the scaling. Most of my core apps look gorgeous thank God. However: Ever try running Avid Media Composer on a 4K?. You would think a professional video editing program would handle the latest monitor technology with ease and aplomb. You would be wrong. So wrong, that you would have to do what I have done and move to Adobe Premiere Pro as your video editor. So I'm maintaining my Avid licenses for MC and Pro Tools, but cannot use Media Composer. I keep paying in the hope that they will soon correct this issue. If you give up your MC license, starting over is uber expensive. Meanwhile 4K monitors are NOT NEW and Avid still hasn't fixed the problem. Premiere Pro and Pro Tools do scale properly and look gorgeous. So does Photoshop. But then, Adobe hasn't updated Bridge so that has the lovely 1/8 point fonts on the 4K. I solve that by sliding its screen on to one of the 30 inchers and at 2K rez it looks good. But yeah, lots of compromises. I'll check into Windows SBS, but I thought I read they were killing that in one of the trades a while back. But I could be wrong.

I think if I do a crapware excision and install Windows 10 from scratch, and then go service by service and eliminate anything extraneous, I can construct a laptop that will run lights and sound in a stable manner. But of course, I might be in Dreamsville again.

Who here is old enough to remember that song?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHyr9GS1lzo&ebc=ANyPxKq0WBUcabkHNzjxV1j3lB6vbaPHmN9_v7ll6SxGC40t1Oiuxd7LKBlNilFukuECehT19PaPgshNFqyzTAoAg74dPfVGgA

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2016, 02:04:35 AM »

Oh don't get me started on the scaling. Most of my core apps look gorgeous thank God. However: Ever try running Avid Media Composer on a 4K?. You would think a professional video editing program would handle the latest monitor technology with ease and aplomb. You would be wrong. So wrong, that you would have to do what I have done and move to Adobe Premiere Pro as your video editor. So I'm maintaining my Avid licenses for MC and Pro Tools, but cannot use Media Composer. I keep paying in the hope that they will soon correct this issue. If you give up your MC license, starting over is uber expensive. Meanwhile 4K monitors are NOT NEW and Avid still hasn't fixed the problem. Premiere Pro and Pro Tools do scale properly and look gorgeous. So does Photoshop. But then, Adobe hasn't updated Bridge so that has the lovely 1/8 point fonts on the 4K. I solve that by sliding its screen on to one of the 30 inchers and at 2K rez it looks good. But yeah, lots of compromises. I'll check into Windows SBS, but I thought I read they were killing that in one of the trades a while back. But I could be wrong.

I think if I do a crapware excision and install Windows 10 from scratch, and then go service by service and eliminate anything extraneous, I can construct a laptop that will run lights and sound in a stable manner. But of course, I might be in Dreamsville again.

Who here is old enough to remember that song?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHyr9GS1lzo&ebc=ANyPxKq0WBUcabkHNzjxV1j3lB6vbaPHmN9_v7ll6SxGC40t1Oiuxd7LKBlNilFukuECehT19PaPgshNFqyzTAoAg74dPfVGgA

You are right, it's not SBS anymore, it's called Server Essentials.

Let me know how you do on ripping out the update engine in 10.

You are right 4k monitors are nothing new.  Affordable 4k monitors, now that's new.

« Last Edit: April 22, 2016, 02:07:57 AM by Scott Holtzman »
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2016, 09:09:24 AM »

For this lighting laptop I am thinking of installing only lighting-specific software, nothing else. No Creative Cloud, no MS Office, no ProTools, no Avid, no Internet Explorer, no nothing. I want the thing to run as stable as humanly possible and I'm not sure any Windows 10 system with a plethora of audio and video drivers is capable of being crash proof at this point. I already have a laptop for computing, I envision that this laptop is basically going to be a Martin M-PC lighting server and not much of anything else. I want stability, but I fear it is an impossible dream, a fool's errand. But I never stop trying though, do I? No, I don't.
Yes to a dedicated laptop for M-PC, no to server code on your laptop.  No reason to upgrade to Core i7 for a dedicated M-PC machine.

If you're worried about automatic updates (you shouldn't be), simply don't use the network card.  M-PC connects via USB, and once installed, you can treat it as a disconnected appliance if you want to.  Keeping other software off is the key to stability.  Allowing Windows Updates for the software you actually need is a good thing.  If you're paranoid, you can update after a delay.

Sever code adds nothing other than severe expense and headaches to your system. 

Mike Lowe

« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2016, 06:31:51 AM »

I ordered the SD-2 CF today, got a great price. It is not in stock, it should ship on April 27, which will be fine. We have a big show in June, I'm looking to have it programed and fully functional by then.

I looked up the specs on the Elation operator's manual. The unit supports a PS2 keyboard. I found an HP PS2 keyboard new in the box on eBay  for $9 including shipping. It will be here before the Elation.

Thanks for the help!

I just got word from GC, the Elation finally shipped. I'm on my way to Illinois for a drum clinic, I'm hoping that the SD2 will be here when I get back.

-Mike

"We don't stop playing because we grow old.
We grow old because we stop playing."

"I wish that my playing reminded people of Steve Gadd. But they seem to confuse me with his little known cousin... E."

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2016, 06:31:51 AM »

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.017 seconds with 24 queries.