ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: B&C 18SW100 - ported box  (Read 2386 times)

Steve Saltzman

B&C 18SW100 - ported box
« on: April 06, 2016, 01:47:03 pm »

Does anyone have any experience with this driver, or general thoughts/guidance on using it as a replacement in a 6.0 cu ft (170 L) box that is tuned to 36hz (three 4" diameter x 10" length port tubes)?

I plugged the T/S info into an old version of WinISD and it seems like a pretty good fit, however would appreciate hearing more experienced opinions before dropping $800 on a pair of drivers.

The box it's going into is a B-52 ACT-18s. Hopefully being a DJ and owning some B-52 cabinets doesn't get me blackballed here, but they've made me lot of money running with EV SX300 tops in 2/2 or 4/4 configurations for school dances.  The drivers have caused some issues but the boxes themselves are well built and in good shape... we like the form factor of the trapezoid cabinet with tilt back wheels, so considering the possibility of upgrading the guts instead of replacing with new cabinets.  They originally came loaded with Selenium 18SW2P but the driver B-52 has for replacement now is something different (I suspect proprietary made by Celestion). We're pretty careful about clipping and have never blown a voice coil, however have had ongoing issues with glue failures. We normally run a pair with a PLX3602 bridged mono, so even without clipping we're driving them fairly hard. It seemed like the 18sw100 would give us some additional output + low frequency extension and significantly better power handling than we have now, and end up with a lot lower cost than we could buy a different cabinet with a true 1500w RMS driver.

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber