ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Android Tablets  (Read 18392 times)

Taff Hewton

Android Tablets
« on: April 05, 2016, 08:14:55 PM »

I have a question to console manufacturers.  Why is it, that apart from perhaps Qsc, you only seem to to use i pad systems to remotely control the mixer. Now in the USA, I can understand that I guess,  given Americans love affair with things  Apple, but the rest of the world uses  far more android devices than ios.

Doug Fowler

• Member since May 1995, 2nd poster on original LAB, moderator on and off since 1997, now running TurboMOD v1.826
  • Administrator
  • Saint Louis, MO USA
Re: Android Tablets
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2016, 08:52:32 PM »

Read the rules, fix your display name.

Thank you for your cooperation.
Brawndo, the Thirst Mutilator. 
It's got electrolytes. 
It's got what plants crave.

Nitin Sidhu

• New Delhi, India.
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2016, 03:42:22 AM »

Consistency of Hardware and OS. An iPad will all have very regulated specs making is easier for assured app performance.

with Android tabs, and multiple layers of themes/sizes and tweaks to the OS, various hardware configurations etc, there is a higher possibility of errors. Hardware manufacturers may choose to avoid the extra expense of maintaining a fragmented ecosystem.
the X32 also has a very capable Android app.

Im no Apple fanboy, but own the tools needed for the job.
My RTA is always flat.

Jim McKeveny

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2016, 07:37:45 AM »

Consistency of Hardware and OS.

Not so sure of that. The expected lifespan of mixing platforms exceeds that of all brands of tablets and PC's, and certainly exceeds factory support.

Case in point: TTI's handheld spectrum analyzer originally used an integrated Palm for interface...and guess where future service issues emanated from? The AudioControl Industrial SA3050 I purchased@1988 still works 100% (usefulness? Well...) "Tools" are simple, reliable, hard to break, and last.

If it is mission-critical please give me a dedicated piece of hardware, not a co-opted consumer item. If a general-purpose PC is required, make it a ToughBook.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2016, 07:50:01 AM by Jim McKeveny »

Dave Pluke

• Northwest GA, USA
    • BIGG GRIN Productions
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2016, 09:42:02 AM »

I have a question to console manufacturers.  Why is it, that apart from perhaps Qsc, you only seem to to use i pad systems to remotely control the mixer.

I'd ask manufacturers why more don't create OS-agnostic means of controlling their devices (like Soundcraft's Si series, which any HTML5 browser can control)?

Having written and supported software, I understand the need for vendors to chose their battles.

I'm not a fan of Apple, but do appreciate the fact that they update their OS across all devices.  Android devices are stuck with the OS they were "born" with, which makes developing code for the multiple versions still in use a challenge.

Dave
...an analog man in a digital world [tm]

Flying direct to nearly everywhere out of ATL

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2016, 10:22:52 AM »

Like the rest have stated. Developing for the iPad is a consistent platform. All but the very original iPad can run the lates OS, and Apple makes it easy to write the software once and have it work across all devices.

While there may be more total android devices sold, there isn't a single model that outsells the iPad. Every android tablet model has its own twist. For a manufacturer to test every possibility would be nearly impossible, so instead of releasing a product that might work, they focus their energy on what actually does.
Brian Jojade

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2016, 11:41:33 AM »

Like the rest have stated. Developing for the iPad is a consistent platform. All but the very original iPad can run the lates OS, and Apple makes it easy to write the software once and have it work across all devices.

While there may be more total android devices sold, there isn't a single model that outsells the iPad. Every android tablet model has its own twist. For a manufacturer to test every possibility would be nearly impossible, so instead of releasing a product that might work, they focus their energy on what actually does.

Yada yada yada.

So how is it that David Giga's Android apps work on damn near every Android device?

If one guy can do this, on his own.... why can't Digico, Yamaha, AVID or others?  I'm not buying the bullshit answers we've been given.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2016, 12:08:09 PM »

Yada yada yada.

So how is it that David Giga's Android apps work on damn near every Android device?

If one guy can do this, on his own.... why can't Digico, Yamaha, AVID or others?  I'm not buying the bullshit answers we've been given.

Tim, did you put an extra spoonful of curmudgeon in your coffee this morning?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Chris Hindle

• SR Forums
  • Montreal, Quebec, Canada, Earth, Sol System,......
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2016, 12:12:19 PM »

No Rob, that would be the "Anvil of Reality"
Chris.
Ya, Whatever. Just throw a '57 on it, and get off my stage.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2016, 12:14:42 PM »

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I borrowed a cup from your charming wife.  I hope there was enough for you.  ;)

But basically I see it like this:  If David G can sit at home in his pajamas and write console control apps for Android, why can't anyone else?  Does David hold the Majik Key to something?  Is there a unicorn dictating code to him in his dreams?

IOW, if this guy can do it I have serious doubts about the responses we've gotten from console manufacturers.  Their lack of candor speaks more loudly than their few words so I call bullshit.

That AVID can't manage to come up with a control app for their VENUE mixers is absolutely, totally 200% inexcusable, too (and we're an Avid shop).  I guess until Scovi embraces tablet mixing there will be no Avid app for *any* platform.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2016, 12:14:42 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 23 queries.