ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Android Tablets  (Read 18388 times)

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • Tulsa, Oklahoma
    • My homepage
Re: Android Tablets
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2016, 04:41:28 PM »

That AVID can't manage to come up with a control app for their VENUE mixers is absolutely, totally 200% inexcusable, too (and we're an Avid shop).  I guess until Scovi embraces tablet mixing there will be no Avid app for *any* platform.

Avid has a remote app for Protools, which works...ok. I need to see ALOT more functionality in it to really make it useful for me. But they keep laying off their developers, so I'm not sure who in the company will even be able to get around to working out the bugs in the PT Control app. It's been out for over 6 months now, and has only had one update, which itself is six months old now.

I suspect that the real reason that we don't see many Android apps is that the SDK agreement that Apple has with these major audio companies requires them to sign a non-compete clause which prevents them from developing for Android.

Android tablets are rare in our industry because no one write any software for them.

Worldwide, there are many, many more times Android devices in use as there are Apple products.
Justice C. Bigler
Business Rep, IATSE Local 354
www.justicebigler.com

John Chiara

« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2016, 04:51:03 PM »

I have using X32's for the past 3 years and the tablet mixing has become my bread and butter. Set up bands with a $1K mixer and I can walk in and mix without touching a thing. Good for them, good for me. Fast, easy and basically full featured and maybe most important...easy to see! I didn't realize other companies were not up to speed on this.

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2016, 05:02:35 PM »

I suspect that the real reason that we don't see many Android apps is that the SDK agreement that Apple has with these major audio companies requires them to sign a non-compete clause which prevents them from developing for Android.

Android tablets are rare in our industry because no one write any software for them.

Worldwide, there are many, many more times Android devices in use as there are Apple products.

There is nothing in the SDK agreement that prevents a developer from making software available on multiple platforms.  The development tools for each platform are different, so they essentially would be 2 separate projects, usually created by different teams that have the expertise in each platform.

While the gross volume of shipped Android devices are higher, a large volume of those devices are the cheap, garbage, sub $100 stuff that would simply never work properly.  Many of these are throw away devices that last less than a year. When you narrow down the number of tablets that have fast and reliable enough resources, the actual quantities in the field lean heavily towards the iPad.

If you look at other items, companies such as Crown don't make mac software. They decided that writing a PC version of the software was enough. It sucks having to run Windows just for that purpose, but they figured that the resources of writing a mac software wouldn't increase sales enough to be worth the effort.  So, I use the tool needed to get the job done.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2016, 05:05:27 PM by Brian Jojade »
Brian Jojade

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • Tulsa, Oklahoma
    • My homepage
« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2016, 05:21:02 PM »

If you look at other items, companies such as Crown don't make mac software. They decided that writing a PC version of the software was enough. It sucks having to run Windows just for that purpose, but they figured that the resources of writing a mac software wouldn't increase sales enough to be worth the effort.  So, I use the tool needed to get the job done.

I prefer working on Windows based PCs. I use Protools on a PC. And of all the software that I use in production, the only piece of software that is Mac only is QLab. Everything else that I use either runs on Windows only or is cross platform compatible.

The only reason I have an iPad is because the Yamaha Stage Mix apps are iPad only. If they offered an Android version, I would use that instead.
Justice C. Bigler
www.justicebigler.com

John L Nobile

« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2016, 05:38:18 PM »

I chose a Nexus tablet. My reasoning was that it's a Google product and  will always be updated and be the first to be updated. There's tons of Android tablets out there running an older OS which will probably never see an update. Even Samsung seems to be slow on this.
Android apps are constantly being updated. My X32 Mixing station seems to be updated every few months and it's always run solidly on my Nexus.

Kyle Van Sandt

« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2016, 10:01:47 PM »

...And the X32/M32/X-Air app on Android is far superior to the one on iOS.  All of my employees use it on whatever phone and tablet they have and it works great.  In the lighting world ETC has a remote app for Android that works great.  I'm with the no excuses camp here...
Kyle Van Sandt
Production Coordinator
The Egg, Albany, NY
vansandtdesigns.com

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • Tulsa, Oklahoma
    • My homepage
« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2016, 10:05:37 PM »

...And the X32/M32/X-Air app on Android is far superior to the one on iOS.  All of my employees use it on whatever phone and tablet they have and it works great.  In the lighting world ETC has a remote app for Android that works great.  I'm with the no excuses camp here...
Yeah, but doesn't ETC app cost like $50?
Justice C. Bigler
www.justicebigler.com

dave briar

• Helena Montana, USA
« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2016, 06:25:58 PM »

I chose a Nexus tablet. My reasoning was that it's a Google product and  will always be updated and be the first to be updated. There's tons of Android tablets out there running an older OS which will probably never see an update. Even Samsung seems to be slow on this.
Android apps are constantly being updated. My X32 Mixing station seems to be updated every few months and it's always run solidly on my Nexus.
My precise reasoning and experience as well. The Nexus 7 is great for walk around the venue gigs and now I'm looking seriously at the Nexus 10 as well for those times when I have a more stationary mix position.
..db

dave briar

• Helena Montana, USA
« Reply #28 on: April 09, 2016, 06:51:19 PM »

...And the X32/M32/X-Air app on Android is far superior to the one on iOS.
That sir may be the understatement of the year! I watched the Mixing Station demo and immediately went out and got an android tablet even though I already owned an iPhone/pad and MacBook Pro. A few months ago I took the time to more fully explore some of the new features (feedback detection/extensively customizable layers/virtual DCAs/arranging buttons of one's choice around the borders) and realized that the set/largely-static  workflow of the physical console surface was obsolete (for my level of production anyway) and immediately sold my X32 Compact and bought a second X32 Rack.  Now to top all of that off David has built a version of Mixing Station to run against the QU series mixers which, while a substantial step below the X32 in overall capabilities (apologies to A&H fan-folks), is what my normal venue has installed so i can at least have an interface that I'm used to and thereby somewhat make up for the workflow limitations of the QU.

..dave
..db

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #29 on: April 09, 2016, 06:56:24 PM »

+1. this i have found to be a fantastic approach. I believe harman bought the company that first did it and they are now the soundcraft Ui series.

This is practical because the application resides within the device as a function of the device OS. The browser is only responsible for screen updates and keystrokes. This is the common method for control and administration of large scale storage, routers, servers, etc. where there is almost unlimited horsepower and memory available to support the processes. You also need to keep in mind that although you control the application using HTML functions, not all browsers and add on's are created equally. I bought a UI 16 for a specific purpose and am very happy with the interface, but I'm not fooled into thinking there aren't limitations with it as well.

Personally I'll stay with my Ipad for remote control functions. They're cheap enough, and I know the interface/app will work. Besides, I don't mix with the Ipad or app, I mix with the board.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: April 09, 2016, 06:56:24 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 24 queries.