ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]   Go Down

Author Topic: PROOF-Whole vs half space sub loading  (Read 30965 times)

Merlijn van Veen

• www.merlijnvanveen.nl
Re: PROOF-Whole vs half space sub loading
« Reply #70 on: May 17, 2016, 10:50:33 AM »

Few things to be mindful of though that might explain audible differences between flown vs. stacked subs experienced by many of us:

• Typically our ears aren't at ground level. With flown subs the cancellation caused by the floor bounce is a moving target over frequency response and space. This is apparent from your measurements and is proven in other replies to this thread. In the time domain, time smearing is introduced until we become uncoupled (1/3 WL).

• The audience, being typically in half space, evidently has no effect on the D/R performance of the subwoofers. However, the "line length" of stacked subs is doubled for free, reducing vertical coverage by 50% and improving the D/R ratio. The same number of subs flown do not gain that advantage unless we double their amount.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2016, 10:56:20 AM by Merlijn van Veen »

Bill Hornibrook

« Reply #71 on: May 17, 2016, 11:24:14 AM »

I made all the pictures clickable so you can see a higher resolution image.
I was looking at your graphs embedded in the thread last night, and only discovered this because you mentioned it this morning - so I'm mentioning it again because it really helps.

I also wanted to thank you for taking the time to do this - which must have involved the better part of a day. Very informative!

Luca Rossi

« Reply #72 on: May 17, 2016, 03:31:38 PM »

• Typically our ears aren't at ground level. With flown subs the cancellation caused by the floor bounce is a moving target over frequency response and space. This is apparent from your measurements and is proven in other replies to this thread. In the time domain, time smearing is introduced until we become uncoupled (1/3 WL).
+1 Good point. This is what i tryed to explain in my previous post with the prediction software. They are going to loose efficiency in the upper range because they behave like a low pass filter including notches when the reflected wave is completly out of phase. IMO flown subs are only good to achieve high directivity control (if the array is long enough) and for deep bass slam. Ground stacking is more efficient for mid bass punch and requires less subs.[/list]
« Last Edit: May 17, 2016, 03:34:20 PM by Luca Rossi »

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #72 on: May 17, 2016, 03:31:38 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 24 queries.