ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: RCF alternatives  (Read 4538 times)

Helge A Bentsen

• Oslo, Norway.
RCF alternatives
« on: May 11, 2016, 06:58:15 AM »

I have some old subs(EAW SB600e) using RCF L15P200AK drivers.
These drivers was later replaced from RCF with the L15P200AK-II drivers/recone.
I've used that recone on my old drivers successfully a couple of times, but now my supplier tells me that the L15P200AK-II is discontinued and he doesn't know how long he can supply recone kits.

According to him, RCF says that the L15P400 is a good replacement for my drivers.

Can I expect that the L15P400 will work in my subs or should I stock up some recone kits?

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
Re: RCF alternatives
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2016, 01:13:28 PM »

These drivers was later replaced from RCF with the L15P200AK-II drivers/recone.
I've used that recone on my old drivers successfully a couple of times, but now my supplier tells me that the L15P200AK-II is discontinued and he doesn't know how long he can supply recone kits.

According to him, RCF says that the L15P400 is a good replacement for my drivers.

Can I expect that the L15P400 will work in my subs or should I stock up some recone kits?

I don't have the experience to answer your question directly. Though I have a different angle to the problem (assumed problem).

My take on this is why are you replacing the drivers? I'm assuming this is a recurring thing which is why you need the recone kits. If you're consistently replacing drivers/reconing then you need a different/more subs so they aren't playing at peak capacity thus extending their life thus you won't need any more drivers/recone kits.

If you're just protecting yourself incase one fails in the far future. Then I would say just get a few recone kits and don't worry about it.

Just my $0.02 :)

Best,
Nathan
I'm just a guy trying to do the next right thing.

This business is for people with too much energy for desk jobs and too much brain for labor jobs. - Scott Helmke

David Morison

• SR Forums
  • Aberdeen, Scotland
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2016, 02:23:49 PM »

<snip>

From the way you normally post I'd assume you're not the kind of operator that's careless or abusive, so are these failures only due to the age of the original drivers?

If so, the P400 should get you within about 1dB of the originals, even though it has slightly less excursion.

If you really are trying to push the boxes hard, you might want to look at something with more, rather than less excursion. LF15X401 fits that bill for only about 10% higher cost.

Normal caveats about using basic modelling (especially to predict high power behaviour) notwithstanding, here's a single unit of each in 90l, tuned to 40Hz and run up to their nominal max excursion. Red is P200AKII, Blue is P400 and Yellow X401. Both of the alternate drivers have a slightly different shape to the overall curve, so if the EAW processing is doing a lot of shaping then this might be a very slight issue. Click images for clearer versions if browsers resize them down and reduce clarity)

If you want to avoid risking that, and were willing to go outwith RCF, the BMS 15S330 gives a basic curve that's a bit more similar to the P200AKII and has very slightly more excursion (if calculated the same way as the RCF drivers) resulting in this when driven to that version of max excursion - just compared against the P200AKII this time, RCF still Red, BMS Green.

HTH,
David

Edit - inserted images rather than attaching for better clarity
« Last Edit: May 11, 2016, 02:27:38 PM by David Morison »

Helge A Bentsen

• Oslo, Norway.
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2016, 09:32:34 AM »

From the way you normally post I'd assume you're not the kind of operator that's careless or abusive, so are these failures only due to the age of the original drivers?

I'm not seeing a lot of failures, this is actually my first two recones on these subs.
It's more me thinking ahead what to do when/if I have another failure, not a imminent problem.

Thank you for the simulations :)

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2016, 09:32:34 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 25 queries.