ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Simple stage light needed for stage  (Read 7813 times)

James Douglas

Re: Simple stage light needed for stage
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2016, 01:47:54 PM »

http://www.adj.com/pinspot-led-ii

Thanks David! That's exactly the kind of thing I've been looking at, that model (and similar ones) even have little gel inserts you can put on them (because I really like Mark Cadwallader's suggestion about the pink). It's just hard to commit when I can't see how much light it actually puts out. The big benefit to this kind of light is that at that price I can by more than one and combine it with other handy thing like this... http://www.amazon.com/Coidak-CO804-DMX512-Stage-Light/dp/B012IDO3VS
That's definitely a top contender though and will welcome any other finds like that with maybe just a bit more power.

@ Rob Spence --> good suggestion about renting, I hadn't actually though of that. I live pretty far from a real city though, so I'll probably avoid renting unless it turns out I needs something more high end. Beside, I'd like to have more shows in the future so it makes sense to invest at the right price.

David Allred

« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2016, 02:51:07 PM »

Regardless of what light source you use, a pink gel (even a no-color pink like Roscoe 33) will look better/be kinder to most light-skinned folks. Try R99 for darker skinned performers. Using "frost" gel can "soften" the light, too, which can be a more flattering look as well. Un-gelled white is not at all intimate.

No green lighting on albinos.  Edgar Winter specifies NO GREEN GELS.

Len Zenith Jr

« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2016, 10:18:35 AM »

It's just hard to commit when I can't see how much light it actually puts out.

Less than an LED pocket flashlight. That pinspot II is designed to highlight a cake or a floral arrangement at a wedding.

James Douglas

« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2016, 11:08:33 AM »

Less than an LED pocket flashlight. That pinspot II is designed to highlight a cake or a floral arrangement at a wedding.
Thanks for the insight, do you know of any alternatives that put out more light for maybe x2 or x3 the cost but not x10?

David Allred

« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2016, 12:48:39 PM »

I have a Chinese version of the RGBW model.  10w LED (but I suppose it could be a sum of the 4)
However, based on your described need, and at the distance you stated it would be bright enough.  Assuming that they are in a dark or poorly lit area. 

James Douglas

« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2016, 07:16:05 PM »

http://www.ebay.com/itm/American-DJ-FS1000-Follow-Spot-Light-For-Parts-or-Repair-/201546918752?hash=item2eed21eb60:g:3rAAAOSwAuNW8YIx
From the description for that item: "Fan comes on but the light does not come on. " -- so yeah if I get hot it could be useful. Just kidding, I won't have time (not to mention knowledge) to get it working in time. I have been lookign at thos and they're reasonably priced, but probably way overpowering for my little venue.

@ David A. -- do you have a link to that higher-wattage portable light you have? I think I may go for that plus a couple of those portable LED Par's I saw in the $50 range.

Mark Cadwallader

• Helena, Montana USA
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2016, 12:05:13 AM »

James, please note that if you use gels for color, you lose some (or a lot) of usable light on stage. The more saturated the color, the lower the amount of light is transmitted. Roscoe and Lee (and probably GAM, too) publish those specs.  You should keep that in mind when thinking about the actual luminous intensity reaching the stage.  If you are using an LED source, you might not (probably won't) have all of the different emitters at full in order to get the right color on stage.

I'd rather have more lumens available than "just enough" neccessary to do the job, but YMMV.
"Good tools are expensive, but cheap tools are damned expensive."

David Allred

« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2016, 07:34:13 AM »

http://www.ebay.com/itm/161993445450?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
This is the one I got.  You can get cheaper, direct from China, but shipping time is considerably longer.  FYI, the bracket is made improperly (too wide) and one of the threaded insert on the housing is not deep enough to allow the adjuster to tighten.  The seller sent some plastic washers to fill the space when I told them of these problems.  You should request them up front.

James Douglas

« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2016, 01:02:55 PM »

Thanks very much to everyone for their helpful insights. I think I know what to get now. This thread can be closed now if needed, or continue for others, etc. Thanks again.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2016, 01:02:55 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 24 queries.