ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Simple stage light needed for stage  (Read 7814 times)

James Douglas

Simple stage light needed for stage
« on: April 04, 2016, 12:40:51 PM »

I am producing a small-scale (~100 guests) stage show with acoustic music and a one act play. The venue has some old mounted floodlights which I can use for general lighting, but I would like to get some kind of (affordable ~ < $100) portable spotlight which I can handle manually to focus light on subjects as needed. Ideally it wold be something which could mount to a sturdy video tripod that I have, but I'll take what I can get. Most of what I've seen on amazon and elsewhere is for dj/disco shows which is not what I want... I don't beed color, patterns of programmable actions. I just need good full-spectrum light (or close to it for reasonable $) that I can easily move around and aim manually without fixed rigging.

Sorry if I'm posting incomplete or redundant info. This is all pretty new to me so I'm just trying to get a handle on what my options are. I'll check back often to fill in missing info gaps, etc. as needed.

David Allred

Re: Simple stage light needed for stage
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2016, 12:46:23 PM »

I am producing a small-scale (~100 guests) stage show with acoustic music and a one act play. The venue has some old mounted floodlights which I can use for general lighting, but I would like to get some kind of (affordable ~ < $100) portable spotlight which I can handle manually to focus light on subjects as needed. Ideally it wold be something which could mount to a sturdy video tripod that I have, but I'll take what I can get. Most of what I've seen on amazon and elsewhere is for dj/disco shows which is not what I want... I don't beed color, patterns of programmable actions. I just need good full-spectrum light (or close to it for reasonable $) that I can easily move around and aim manually without fixed rigging.

Sorry if I'm posting incomplete or redundant info. This is all pretty new to me so I'm just trying to get a handle on what my options are. I'll check back often to fill in missing info gaps, etc. as needed.

At what distance and what diameter?

James Douglas

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2016, 04:15:08 PM »

At what distance and what diameter?

Maybe... Distance ~ 25 ft / Diameter ~ 6 ft
But it doesn't really need to be a real, hard spotlight, just something that I can point to light a subject when the main lights are off. And without colored patterns or un-needed features like this:http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/IntSpot100IRC?adpos=1o1&creative=55686349801&device=c&matchtype=&network=g&gclid=Cj0KEQjwoYi4BRDF_PHHu6rI7NMBEiQAKZ-JuNpmrTsci9CZqhxu4mOzkgNV3GRxl_NcboGshfUsu8MaAuDo8P8HAQ.

Don T. Williams

• Midas Pro 1 & 2, M32, dbTech T12, T8, S30, DM12
    • Q Systems Music & Sound
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2016, 05:06:29 PM »

Look for a used older leko, probably a 10 or 19 degree, and a heavy pair of gloves.  You won't find a new (or good used) follow spot with that budget.  A narrow lamped PAR can (you'll still need the gloves) could also work, although the light field will not be as smooth.  Used PAR's are very cheap because LED's are replacing many of them.

Mark Cadwallader

• Helena, Montana USA
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2016, 05:54:36 PM »

A used Altman "Comet" follow spot would be an option, too. You will want to be approximately 30 + degrees above the plane of the stage for the light. Too flat an angle (a) blinds the performer and (b) washes out features of the performer due to the head-on lighting. A used leko is going to need a dimmer to control the intensity of the light, since it does not have a dowser.  A snap (instant change) from 0 to 100% intensity looks really bad (almost always).  100% to 0 in a snap can be dramatic, but it is a one-trick pony.
"Good tools are expensive, but cheap tools are damned expensive."

James Douglas

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2016, 06:37:11 PM »

Thanks for the replies! I don't see a rep button on here... (??)

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2016, 06:41:54 PM »

You might just be able to rent one.

If this is a one time event, no sense in buying. Even if you need it more, renting can tell you if you want to buy one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Mark Cadwallader

• Helena, Montana USA
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2016, 07:06:06 PM »

Regardless of what light source you use, a pink gel (even a no-color pink like Roscoe 33) will look better/be kinder to most light-skinned folks. Try R99 for darker skinned performers. Using "frost" gel can "soften" the light, too, which can be a more flattering look as well. Un-gelled white is not at all intimate.
"Good tools are expensive, but cheap tools are damned expensive."

David Allred

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2016, 09:18:48 AM »

At 25' this little light has a 5ft spot.   It has a 12 deg beam angle, with a 6 deg alternate lens. $40 MAP.  There is also an RGB version for more money.  $100 MAP.  Chauvet also has a similar light.
Cheap Chinese versions are probably in the $20 - $30 range,  with color and DMX .

David Allred

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2016, 09:29:26 AM »

At 25' this little light has a 5ft spot.   It has a 12 deg beam angle, with a 6 deg alternate lens. $40 MAP.  There is also an RGB version for more money.  $100 MAP.  Chauvet also has a similar light.
Cheap Chinese versions are probably in the $20 - $30 range,  with color and DMX .

Sorry.
http://www.adj.com/pinspot-led-ii

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2016, 09:29:26 AM »

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 24 queries.