ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cost effective (even for weekend warriors) ways to measure power quality  (Read 18971 times)

Scott Helmke

The picture with the neon bulb glowing is across 240V, the second picture across only 120V is dark. Circuit is dirt simple, only two resistors forming a simple divider such that 120V divided is below neon threshold and 240 divided isn't.

Nice trick - makes perfect sense, and that neon bulb isn't going to draw enough current to make things difficult.

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune

Nice trick - makes perfect sense, and that neon bulb isn't going to draw enough current to make things difficult.
In fact you want to current limit neon lamps above their breakdown voltage, but the resistor divider values can be sized to accomplish that at the same time.

KISS.

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Scott Helmke

Here's a scan I took last night - small church, this particular outlet too noisy for their acoustic guitar amp. They plug the bulk of their gear into Surge-X boxes nowadays.

Frank DeWitt

• LBP DI Box

PS: I have my final cut PCB and parts waiting on my bench but I am forcing myself to do my taxes first...  and I hate doing taxes so this could take some time with me procrastinating.

I hear you.  I would get red in the face angry doing taxes.  I finally discovered a good account.  If you or anyone does anything more complicated then one job all year and no other income or giving then an accountant can probably save you more then he costs.   Example,  I have my own business doing Mechanical Design When my son was in college for ME I hired him for some extra help during his breaks, My account spotted it and asked if he could do about 2 hrs more a week.  He said If he can then he qualify as full time and he can get benefits.  I assume you give all full time employees free college tuition.  Bam  Just like that, his tuition became a PRE TAX expense.   That's real money.  That is one example, there have probably been 20 other savings I would not have thought of.
Not to Code

Scott Helmke

Here's an outlet on one of their Surge-X strips.  Probably the bulk of the filtering is going on well above 20kHz.

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune

I am unsure what if anything to draw from those plots.

The product's power supply will ignore most of this.

It will be interesting over time if you can correlate what you see with what you hear.

JR 
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Mike Sokol

• Lead instructor for the No~Shock~Zone
    • No~Shock~Zone Electrical Safety

It will be interesting over time if you can correlate what you see with what you hear.

I've found that you can learn a lot if you can create a way to make noise and inject it into your AC line while you have a guitar amp with a guitar plugged into it, simulating your real-world conditions. One simple way is an old-school Triac light dimmer with a big tungsten bulb. You should be able to watch your harmonics display and guitar amp noise modulate as you change the dimming percentage. Then see if you can borrow a neon beer sign from the local bar. Turning it on and off should generate a different type of noise in your guitar amp and spectrum display. By cataloging what you see on your display with what you hear you may be able to learn how to predict what you see on your display with an actual instigating factor. Then maybe you can chase it down and do something about it.
Mike Sokol
mike@noshockzone.org
www.NoShockZone.org

ProSoundWeb Community

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.026 seconds with 21 queries.