ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Loudspeaker industry opinions  (Read 17141 times)

Liam Croft

Re: Loudspeaker industry opinions
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2016, 06:53:52 PM »

Simply put, I'm just trying to learn. I'm at the start of what I hope to be a successful career in pro audio and I've already learned a lot from everyone on the LAB, for which I'm very grateful.

I try to check prosoundweb every day but I must have missed the readers choice awards, thanks a lot John.

Scott, Ray, Stephen & Tim - thanks once again for your replies. I didn't mean to suggest that there aren't many other variables that one considers when buying, selling or using a PA system - and I'm definitely not doing a marketing survey!

I was just hoping to get your thoughts on the general 'prestige' (for want of a better word) of different manufacturers, without regard for price or other variables, but more in terms of sound quality, build quality and reliability.

But the impression I'm getting is that above a certain level, it's impossible to be objective about that kind of thing, whereas at lower levels (especially with point source) it's a lot easier to say box A is better than box B. I realise I need to do some more research and refine my question to get any meaningful answers.

Thank you all for your time!
Kind regards,
Liam

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2016, 07:16:24 PM »

Simply put, I'm just trying to learn. I'm at the start of what I hope to be a successful career in pro audio and I've already learned a lot from everyone on the LAB, for which I'm very grateful.

I try to check prosoundweb every day but I must have missed the readers choice awards, thanks a lot John.

Scott, Ray, Stephen & Tim - thanks once again for your replies. I didn't mean to suggest that there aren't many other variables that one considers when buying, selling or using a PA system - and I'm definitely not doing a marketing survey!

I was just hoping to get your thoughts on the general 'prestige' (for want of a better word) of different manufacturers, without regard for price or other variables, but more in terms of sound quality, build quality and reliability.

But the impression I'm getting is that above a certain level, it's impossible to be objective about that kind of thing, whereas at lower levels (especially with point source) it's a lot easier to say box A is better than box B. I realise I need to do some more research and refine my question to get any meaningful answers.

Thank you all for your time!
Kind regards,
Liam

I am with Tim, don't understand your intent.  Trying to learn about the "prestige" of systems, what does that mean.

Now that I read it again you are asking about "systems".  Don't understand your price range, is that per box?

Your questions are so generic, there is not technical "meat". 

If you are "operating sound reinforcement systems" or whatever term you used with the ear of all these touring professionals wouldn't you want to know details?

Anyway, to stay on my point.  If you want to advance your career ask questions about that, talk about the gigs you are running and your challenges.  Ask how others would handle it.

Don't waste mental energy going over equipment you may never even see yet alone run.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2016, 07:21:52 PM »

Ugh, had a nice reply and then the browser decided to reload the page, destroying all that I'd written!

--in short, to be candid, at the upper levels, they are all pretty similar in sound/build quality and reliability. My reputation is at stake every time our rig goes out the door, and I have to make sure that shit works, every time, every box and amp, without fail. When we went to purchase our VerTec rig two years ago, we went with VerTec because we were already a Harman house, with SRX/VRX boxes and Crown amps, and the companies we work with closely here in the region are also Harman houses. If I were to be purchasing something now, I would consider EAW's Anya, L'Acoustics K1/K2, EV XLC, Meyer Leo/Leopard and d&b Q series. All of these (with the exception of Anya) I can cross rent more of these very easily from other companies, and they would be able to rent from me. In the case of Anya, I'd just be the only bad-ass in the PNW to own it. :D

Other line array/large coverage options out there--
- Mackie has one, but it wouldn't be rider friendly.
- Peavey has their Verrsaray- it's gaining traction but still not something I would consider at this point.
- PK Audio has their new Trinity rig that they've been using at a lot of major West Coast EDM festivals.
- Turbosound has a bunch of kit, but other then Soundworks VA here in the states, there's not a lot of major players using it here in the USA. (Steve, are there other players out there with Turbosound? I know you're the largest.)
- Funktion One, Void - aimed at the EDM market. Not going to be acceptable to major R&R/country/pop/hip hop touring acts, and the visual design of their speakers rules them out for corporate gigs.
- KV2 has their VHD series- I know their powered 21" subs kick ass, but I am still not convinced that a properly deployed KV2 system could outperform my VerTec system.
- Outline, Nexo, DB Technologies, and (hahahaa) Seismic Audio all have line array options as well, but their market share isn't anything close to what the Big Guys previously mentioned as the Big Players have.

Does this help, Liam?

-Ray
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2016, 07:37:15 PM »

Ugh, had a nice reply and then the browser decided to reload the page, destroying all that I'd written!

--in short, to be candid, at the upper levels, they are all pretty similar in sound/build quality and reliability. My reputation is at stake every time our rig goes out the door, and I have to make sure that shit works, every time, every box and amp, without fail. When we went to purchase our VerTec rig two years ago, we went with VerTec because we were already a Harman house, with SRX/VRX boxes and Crown amps, and the companies we work with closely here in the region are also Harman houses. If I were to be purchasing something now, I would consider EAW's Anya, L'Acoustics K1/K2, EV XLC, Meyer Leo/Leopard and d&b Q series. All of these (with the exception of Anya) I can cross rent more of these very easily from other companies, and they would be able to rent from me. In the case of Anya, I'd just be the only bad-ass in the PNW to own it. :D

Other line array/large coverage options out there--
- Mackie has one, but it wouldn't be rider friendly.
- Peavey has their Verrsaray- it's gaining traction but still not something I would consider at this point.
- PK Audio has their new Trinity rig that they've been using at a lot of major West Coast EDM festivals.
- Turbosound has a bunch of kit, but other then Soundworks VA here in the states, there's not a lot of major players using it here in the USA. (Steve, are there other players out there with Turbosound? I know you're the largest.)
- Funktion One, Void - aimed at the EDM market. Not going to be acceptable to major R&R/country/pop/hip hop touring acts, and the visual design of their speakers rules them out for corporate gigs.
- KV2 has their VHD series- I know their powered 21" subs kick ass, but I am still not convinced that a properly deployed KV2 system could outperform my VerTec system.
- Outline, Nexo, DB Technologies, and (hahahaa) Seismic Audio all have line array options as well, but their market share isn't anything close to what the Big Guys previously mentioned as the Big Players have.

Does this help, Liam?

-Ray

I am seeing more of the Vue stuff around, not on touring, just regional and HOW.  The AL series have always interested me, especially because Ivan says they have to suck (all those 4" boxes to interfere with each other) yet now that I have heard several al8 with al4 underhang they sounded subjectively much better than any dash array I have hears. 

Since the event levels don't compare I can't comment on how they compare with that level.

The mid size compact segment is packed though.  So many more, QSC Wideline, Adamson S , Series, TOA,DAS, FBT Muse, RCF HDL  that's just off the top of my head         

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Doug Fowler

• Member since May 1995, 2nd poster on original LAB, moderator on and off since 1997, now running TurboMOD v1.826
  • Administrator
  • Saint Louis, MO USA
« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2016, 08:39:58 PM »

Outline, Nexo, DB Technologies, and (hahahaa) Seismic Audio all have line array options as well, but their market share isn't anything close to what the Big Guys previously mentioned as the Big Players have.

To be fair, NEXO does very well in many parts of the world.  There are only a handful of NEXO shops in the US.

fwiw
Brawndo, the Thirst Mutilator. 
It's got electrolytes. 
It's got what plants crave.

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2016, 09:11:08 PM »

To be fair, NEXO does very well in many parts of the world.  There are only a handful of NEXO shops in the US.

fwiw

Fair enough (haha, see what I did there?!?) -- I'm an annoying American who thinks we rule the world. :D So, all I know is US stuff, and mainly just the Pacific Northwest.

-Ray
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

Doug Fowler

• Member since May 1995, 2nd poster on original LAB, moderator on and off since 1997, now running TurboMOD v1.826
  • Administrator
  • Saint Louis, MO USA
« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2016, 10:11:50 PM »

Fair enough (haha, see what I did there?!?) -- I'm an annoying American who thinks we rule the world. :D So, all I know is US stuff, and mainly just the Pacific Northwest.

-Ray

You see the same thing in consoles.  Here, Soundcraft and DiGiCo have not proliferated, although it seems like DiGiCo is really ramping up the last several years.  In Europe, not so much Avid from what I understand.

Topic swerve... ;-)
Brawndo, the Thirst Mutilator. 
It's got electrolytes. 
It's got what plants crave.

Steve Payne

• Soundworks of Virginia, Inc.
« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2016, 10:21:24 PM »

-Ray

Hi Ray,
  Southard Audio is just up the road from us in Harrisonburg, VA.  (Jason Misterka posts here frequently.)  We have worked collaboratively with them for 25 years.  They have a large inventory of Turbosound.
  Sound Media in Miami is a Turbosound company that is growing and doing well with the brand.
  Turbo is solid tool that is well accepted but certainly doesn't enjoy the notoriety of it's Flash/Flood heyday when it was the staple of companies like 8th Day, Bernhard Brown, Crystal-Taylor, Brit Row.
Steve Payne
like us on Facebook at:
https://www.facebook.com/SOUNDWORKSOFVIRGINIA

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2016, 10:23:44 PM »

The AL series have always interested me, especially because Ivan says they have to suck (all those 4" boxes to interfere with each other)
I have never said 4" drivers have a problem.

It all depends on the wavelength and distance to  listener and spacing of drivers vs freq etc.

It depends------------

And it depends on what you compare against.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Lee Buckalew

• Classic LAB
  • St. Louis, MO area
    • Pro Sound Advice, Inc.
« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2016, 10:50:23 PM »

You see the same thing in consoles.  Here, Soundcraft and DiGiCo have not proliferated, although it seems like DiGiCo is really ramping up the last several years.  In Europe, not so much Avid from what I understand.

Topic swerve... ;-)

And it depends regionally in the U.S.  In my neck of the woods the biggest number of rental houses carry Martin Audio W8LC and smaller.  There is one big Nexo house who also has LA K1 & K2 now, one mid sized Turbosound house, and I don't know of any VerTec houses.  Installs have a wide variety, the largest being JBL with lots of others thrown in from EAW to Fulcrum to EV to Danley, even Martin MLA Compact and standard Martin as well. 

Lee
Lee Buckalew
Pro Sound Advice, Inc.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2016, 10:50:23 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.085 seconds with 23 queries.