ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Loudspeaker industry opinions  (Read 11595 times)

Liam Croft

Loudspeaker industry opinions
« on: March 31, 2016, 06:19:25 pm »

Hi everyone,

I work in pro audio/mi retail and currently do a fair bit of work with different sound reinforcement systems, but I'm always keen to learn more about the industry.

So the question is: which speaker manufacturers do you rate the most?

I work with quite a lot of Electrovoice stuff and I've always been very impressed (not heard the cheaper stuff though) and I also liked the db technologies DVA, but I'm aware that there are much higher spec systems on the market.

I heard someone say the other day that the top 3 manufacturers are Meyer, L Acoustics and D&b audio, but I've also heard good things about Loud Technologies' EAW and JBL by Harman.

Not to mention Martin, FBT, RCF, Bose, renkus-Heinz, qsc, dynacord etc.

Any input is much appreciated, I'm just trying to get a better understanding of where everybody fits in the marketplace.

Art Welter

Re: Loudspeaker industry opinions
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2016, 06:41:28 pm »

Liam,

"Most" what?

You might as well ask: which auto manufacturers do you rate the most?

There's one right for every purchaser...

Art

Liam Croft

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2016, 07:02:34 pm »

Hi Art,

Sorry I should have been more clear! I basically want to establish an overall picture of where different brands sit in the high end line array and point source market. Sorry the question is a bit vague.

Perhaps I should ask

1. What are the 3 top manufacturers of large line array systems, or what niches do particular manufacturers fill?

2. Same as above but for portable point source

Thanks to everyone for taking the time to read.

Regards,
Liam

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2016, 07:04:10 pm »

The speakers I rate the most are the ones I actually get experience on.  Can't rate them if you haven't used them!

As speaker manufacturers grow, they tend to expand beyond their core to capture a larger market.  That means they will have lines that aren't even comparable to each other.  JBL is a great example.  They sell $20 home bookshelf crap with their name on it, all the way up to very high end arrays.

Simply put, it's almost impossible to buy just based on brand alone. (it is possible to avoid brands completely, in most cases)  All of the brands you have listed offer decent quality products that would fit in professional environments.  However, knowing the exact speaker model to put in those environments is key to a great system.
Brian Jojade

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2016, 07:18:24 pm »

Hi everyone,

I work in pro audio/mi retail and currently do a fair bit of work with different sound reinforcement systems, but I'm always keen to learn more about the industry.

I work with quite a lot of Electrovoice stuff and I've always been very impressed (not heard the cheaper stuff though) and I also liked the db technologies DVA, but I'm aware that there are much higher spec systems on the market.

I heard someone say the other day that the top 3 manufacturers are Meyer, L Acoustics and D&b audio, but I've also heard good things about Loud Technologies' EAW and JBL by Harman.

Not to mention Martin, FBT, RCF, Bose, renkus-Heinz, qsc, dynacord etc.

Any input is much appreciated, I'm just trying to get a better understanding of where everybody fits in the marketplace.
To channel my Inner Ivan:  It Depends.

Meyer, l'Acoustic and d&b have been 'flavor of the month' (more than once), as have EAW and JBL.  Martin, RCF and Dynacord have been popular in Europe but not achieving the recognition currently enjoyed by l'Acoustic and d&b.

"Practicing an art, no matter how well or badly, is a way to make your soul grow, for heaven's sake. Sing in the shower. Dance to the radio. Tell stories. Write a poem to a friend, even a lousy poem. Do it as well as you possible can. You will get an enormous reward. You will have created something."  - Kurt Vonnegut

Dave Pluke

• BIGG GRIN Productions
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2016, 08:48:07 pm »

You might as well ask: which auto manufacturers do you rate the most?

And, to extend that analogy, a lot depends on who is behind the wheel.

I've heard some really bad sounding line arrays and some that were pretty good (from the same manufacturer and may have even been the same models).

Dave
...an analog man in a digital world [tm]

Flying direct to nearly everywhere out of ATL

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2016, 08:57:59 pm »

Does price matter?

Is this install or portable?

Does rider acceptability matter?

Does reliability count?

Does audience size count?

Does freq response count?

And so on and so forth.

There are a lot of different answers for each of the questions.

You are not going to find any one or two answers.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2016, 09:45:31 pm »

As a lot of others have said...
- It's often not the system, but the driver.
- Many situations, and not one system to fit them all. They're all Tools In A Tool Box, especially line array versus point source. (That comparison comes up a LOT on here; a quick search will reveal loads of threads.)

If you're wondering what's popular in your area, go to shows of the style you're interested in, and see what they're driving. What's popular in your area (or well-used) may not be the same as what's popular here in the PNW. For a nice national perspective, get the Front of House magazine from proaudiospace, and look at their gig snapshots. What rigs are being used? (and consoles, and microphones, and wedges, and so on...)

At the same time, look at big shows (think Super Bowl, the Grammies, and so on) -- what's being used there? Companies buy what makes them money. When you graduate from the weeds and get up into the big dogs, mixing Bands You've Heard Of, and dealing with riders and such, your company buys what gear is demanded- it's no longer your personal big-ass stereo system.

-Ray
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

Robert Piascik

• Hilliard, OH (near Columbus)
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2016, 11:07:37 pm »

I'm not reading this thread anymore because it's a waste of time...

100 people will chime in with 100 opinions and none of them are definitive. Which flavor is the best? Chocolate? Vanilla? Cherry? Which car is the best? Ford? Chevy? BMW? Audi?

(yawn) Carry on.

Pi Entertainment Services
Midas M32R / MR18
Behringer X32R / XR12
Danley SH50 / SM80 / TH118 / TH115
Fulcrum Acoustic fa22ac
RCF NX 12SMA
Yamaha DSR112
Powersoft X4 / M50Q
Crown iT8k / Xti6k

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2016, 11:39:58 pm »

Well exactly! Everyone is going to have their favorites. But that is why I suggest the OP do a search -- or just a bit more research. A new post would be warranted if a question arises that's not covered in this- or other- threads.
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2016, 11:39:58 pm »

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up

Page created in 0.057 seconds with 24 queries.