ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: SRX800p 12's or 15's  (Read 22285 times)

Steve Garris

SRX800p 12's or 15's
« on: March 30, 2016, 10:38:52 PM »

Purchase time is upon me. I need to decide which new SRX800 series boxes to buy.
These will be paired with my SRX818 subs, for a system upgrade from PRX600 series system.

I'm extremely concerned about the weight - I'm getting old.
I love my 615's, but haven't heard a PRX 612 or 712. I do not like the sound of QSC KW112 or K12's, which is probably tainting my decision.
The PA is used for rock cover bands in small rooms, or small outdoor events.

I know Debbie has the 15's, and loves them.
I know Luke prefers 12's with most 2-way plus sub systems.

I recently did an outdoor show that I couldn't use my subs. I was glad I had 615's, but this is rare.

I look forward to hearing everyone's thoughts on this, especially if you have either of the 800 series tops.

The 835's are just too big, and I like pole mounting over my sub's, so I'm not considering those.

Mark Cadwallader

• Helena, Montana USA
Re: SRX800p 12's or 15's
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2016, 10:51:02 PM »

As a reference point, I preferred the sound of the PRX612 compared to the PRX615, when paired with the 618sxlf sub. I have several of the 612, but only one pair of the 615. I have not compared the 812 to the 815, however (yet).
"Good tools are expensive, but cheap tools are damned expensive."

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2016, 12:25:34 AM »

One of the reasons I chose the 815's was because I already owned the DSR112's and figured it would give me some variety. The other reason was because I was replacing my beloved SRX700 series rig which consisted of SRX715's for tops. My DSR's do not have much low end so would not be that great without subs but the SRX815's have some wallop in that area and could be used alone if needed.
Recently I was asked whether I would have chosen the 812's if not for these 2 factors and I said I might have done. However, I do not regret my decision- as the system with 15's sounds fantastic and I can't imagine it sounding much better than this.
The weight difference is only 5lbs and a slightly smaller box of course which might help a bit with loading onto stands plus $100 savings per cab....
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2016, 08:49:35 AM »

Think low/mid. This is where the punch from many instruments is found, and that's above 100hz. Your crossover is usually at or about 90hz, so a good full range cabinet needs to be healthy to 70hz or less. I've used 15" drivers my entire life with few exceptions, and one of those exceptions was SRX722's for vocals. Didn't like them at all and replaced them with SRX725's which are still in use today. IMO, 15" drivers for FOH. And note that this does not include a true line array. Whole different animal.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2016, 09:11:27 AM »

My experience is opposite of Bob's - I've never owned a 15" driver in my life.  I've been very happy with the SRX812p boxes I have, and they are already a big box, so the 15" was out for me.  The SRX812P has no problem with 70Hz, or 60Hz for that matter.  I think they have a lot of low-end for their size and weight.

There's very little difference in the specs of the two boxes.  I would encourage you to listen and look at both before deciding - the 15" is a big box.

Mike Santarelli

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2016, 03:14:26 PM »

One of the reasons I chose the 815's was because I already owned the DSR112's and figured it would give me some variety. The other reason was because I was replacing my beloved SRX700 series rig which consisted of SRX715's for tops. My DSR's do not have much low end so would not be that great without subs but the SRX815's have some wallop in that area and could be used alone if needed.
Recently I was asked whether I would have chosen the 812's if not for these 2 factors and I said I might have done. However, I do not regret my decision- as the system with 15's sounds fantastic and I can't imagine it sounding much better than this.
The weight difference is only 5lbs and a slightly smaller box of course which might help a bit with loading onto stands plus $100 savings per cab....

Debbie,

How would you compare the srx815 to the 715?   I've used the 715 live and like them a lot.  I know they are crossed over slightly lower than the 815. I've only heard the 815 in a demo and not real world. Thought they were great.

Stephen Kirby

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2016, 04:03:37 PM »

I'm a 12 man myself.  Ignoring for a moment the directivity issues with vocals and such IMHO build up in the 80-200 range (in closed rooms as opposed to outdoors) tends to obscure vocals and solos and results in things sounding loud but unintelligible.  Although I have noticed that people with compromised hearing (especially folks wearing hearing aids) tend to want more concussive impact and want more in this region.  I kind of like the hole between my DRS112s and subs.  It sounds cleaner overall.

Scott Bolt

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2016, 08:45:39 PM »

I would defer my final judgement to Debbie since she has more experience with all the contenders ;)

For my own experience, the DSR112's have a very nice low mid punch that I have found to be in the same league with the SRX715 (one of my all time favorite speakers).  Debbie did an A/B test with these a while back (since she had both for a while).

My guess is that an SRX815p would be a better option for bottom heavy content than the SRX812p.  I am thinking EDM or heavy metal.

I agree with Bob on his comments on the LF "punch" being something that generally comes from the woofer in your tops.

Having said that, I generally like the overall balance of the DSR112 over a sub than the 15's that I have used (PRX615, DXR15) in the same rig.

I much prefer the sound of the DSR112 to the K12, KW122, or PRX612m (and I assume 712m, but I haven't heard these side by side so I can't say for sure).

Hope this helps!

Chuck Simon

• Pittsburgh, Pa.
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2016, 01:05:34 PM »

This is a subject that always leaves me confused as to what people think they are hearing.  The 815 does go a little lower than the 812 so it might be a better choice for use without subs if you think the  extra size and weight is worth it.  BUT, with subs the cabinets have just about the exact same freq response above the crossover point, so what is this extra low end punch that people say they hear?  The same point was brought up in the JTR thread in which  Jeff points out the similarity between 10" and 12" speakers.  Is there a particular difference in the sound of different sized speakers with the same specs(assuming the specs are accurate)?
« Last Edit: April 02, 2016, 01:08:54 PM by Chuck Simon »

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2016, 01:27:38 PM »

This is a subject that always leaves me confused as to what people think they are hearing.  The 815 does go a little lower than the 812 so it might be a better choice for use without subs if you think the  extra size and weight is worth it.  BUT, with subs the cabinets have just about the exact same freq response above the crossover point, so what is this extra low end punch that people say they hear?  The same point was brought up in the JTR thread in which  Jeff points out the similarity between 10" and 12" speakers.  Is there a particular difference in the sound of different sized speakers with the same specs(assuming the specs are accurate)?

I agree to a certain extent and get confused a little myself for the same reasons.
However, all my tests have been blind...i.e. I have Chris listen with his eyes closed and choose between the speakers being tested and then he does the same with me. I've also invited friends to join in under the same conditions. So this would contradict your, “what people 'think' they are hearing” comment.
With that said, I do believe it is difficult not to hear with our eyes instead of our ears sometimes and then add to that our pre-conceived ideas and beliefs.

On most of my A/B tests, I included my findings without using subs but still engaged HP on the tops - so anything under 90-100hz shouldn't affect the outcome. Yet, I have still found there is a '15 inch' sound to a speaker that affects mid frequencies - nothing to do with low end. It could be with just those speakers I have compared of course but those are my findings.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2016, 01:27:38 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.023 seconds with 25 queries.