ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: SRX800p 12's or 15's  (Read 12986 times)

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
Re: SRX800p 12's or 15's
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2016, 02:07:45 pm »

If it's possible, would be good to throw your DSR112's in the line up as well. 
Because if the 812's sound great, you know everyone is going to ask if you would chose them over your DSR's... :)

Overall I'm interested to hear your report on the 812's though....so if no DSR compare, it's all good.

I would be a fool to miss that opportunity!.. Yes I'll be including the DSR's also. BTW... I just picked up the SRX812's... He might be selling them.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Scott Bolt

« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2016, 02:36:49 pm »

I would be a fool to miss that opportunity!.. Yes I'll be including the DSR's also. BTW... I just picked up the SRX812's... He might be selling them.
As always Debbie, you are a wealth of knowledge!  Thanks for doing this. 

I don't think I will be selling off my DSR's for SRX any time soon since it is my belief that the DSR will hold its own (or at a minimum be competitive to the point that swapping tops would be too close to a vertical move for me).  Still, it is always nice to know how well technology stands up to the test of real ears.

And who knows, I could have a failure of a DSR112 after my 7 year warranty is up ..... and then ..... anything goes ;)

I look forward to your report!

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2016, 10:46:26 am »

I picked up the SX812's yesterday - I had no intention of listening to them yet because I had too much to do at the house ...but I couldn't resist...

I did a quick comparison using only MP3 player.

I set up one SRX812p, one SRX815p and DSR112 all on stands.
I added a PRX718xlf for <100hz.

I set the iPod to mono and used panning to compare sets of 2 at a time.

Songs used:

Blues Walk - Lyle Lovett
Save Me from Myself - Christina Aguilera
Into the Ocean - Blue October
Something from Nothing - Foo Fighters
Hello - Adele .   (Forum Favorite)

!st off I compared the SRX812 to the SRX815 as was the original post in this thread.

Even though the specs might indicate there should be virtually no difference in sound above 100hz between the 2 speakers, we found this not to be the case. There is a different sound to the 15" without doubt.
That said, Chris and I were hard pressed to choose between the 2.
The 15 had a flatter, warmer response especially in the mids. The 12 had the vocals more defined yet sax and piano we found more pleasing to the ear through the 15. Good definition throughout the frequency range though and no harshness at all - horns are very pleasant sounding - not surprising though for SRX series.
The 15 had a little more emphasis on those lower frequencies (above 100hz of course) which makes sense and this added to the difference in the sound.
Master gain on 15 set .5db lower than the 12 to get the same SPL.

Again.... tough call on this one -  which doesn't surprise me.
However, with the street price difference of $100, the weight difference of 5 lb and the size factor, the comparison has other variables to consider....
Do I regret my decision to purchase the SRX815's?...no I don't - but I would be happy with either to be fair.

Now on to the SRX812 vs DSR112....
Same songs and set up used.

I have to say first off that having heard the 2 side by side, I am more impressed now with my DSR's that I ever was before. Wow... for the money they cannot be beat!!
Switching back and forth from the SRX812 to the DSR112, it is clear that the SRX has the flatter response and that mid push we all talk about with the DSR is obvious in comparison. This can be a good thing or a bad thing I suppose. It definitely solves the issue of being able to define vocals/ guitar in clubs where the fight for placement in the mid section exists- because the vocals pop with the DSR's.
However, due to the flatter response of the SRX compared to the DSR, it definitely is warmer and could perhaps be less fatiguing over a long period of time. Still loads of clarity and instrument separation.
One interesting thing we noticed was that the FX on the voice were more easily heard through the DSR. There was more breath to it. (Not sure how else to describe that- sorry)

At $400 more for the SRX than the DSR, I'm not sure I'd pay the extra, as the DSR held its own but if the 2 were closer in price, the SRX812  would be my choice. This shouldn't be too surprising though and shouldn't disappoint the DSR owners out there. The results so far are very close to what I expected and I will hopefully get some time this week to run some individual instrument through each one.
I was thinking I might use an old demo recording or something...

Anyway... not a very technical or in depth review but its all I could do yesterday. More to come.

One last thing..... this experiment could have been quite costly to me - I might buy the SRX812's from my friend if he ends up selling them....
Also, he is selling a couple of PRX715xlf's and I tried these out too. Little versions of my PRX718xlf's.....Cool little boxes with plenty of thump weighing a little over 50lbs....mmm
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Bill Hornibrook

« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2016, 12:14:47 pm »

The 15 had a flatter, warmer response especially in the mids. The 12 had the vocals more defined yet sax and piano we found more pleasing to the ear through the 15. Good definition throughout the frequency range though and no harshness at all - horns are very pleasant sounding - not surprising though for SRX series.
The 15 had a little more emphasis on those lower frequencies (above 100hz of course) which makes sense and this added to the difference in the sound.

This actually all makes a lot of sense to me, and pretty much reinforces why (as a very general rule) I have a preference for 15" tops when DJing and 12s when I'm in a band.

Hello - Adele .   (Forum Favorite)

OMG five minutes of pure hell for most guys! :D But beyond Adele's vocal histrionics, the track itself is a muddy congested mess. If I must play Adele's Hello, I greatly prefer this remix (which has been making the rounds in clubs for the last several months):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5sb2gMRKgU

Thanks for taking the time to do this Debbie :) I suspect that if you can really open these cabs up soundwise and run them at limit, the SRX may pull away from the DSR. But that's just a suspicion from an SRX guy.

Brandon Scopel

« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2016, 12:35:27 pm »

One last thing..... this experiment could have been quite costly to me - I might buy the SRX812's from my friend if he ends up selling them....

If he is selling them, and you don't want them, I'll take em

Sent from my D6708 using Tapatalk

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2016, 12:46:57 pm »

OMG five minutes of pure hell for most guys! :D But beyond Adele's vocal histrionics, the track itself is a muddy congested mess. If I must play Adele's Hello, I greatly prefer this remix (which has been making the rounds in clubs for the last several months):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5sb2gMRKgU

Thanks for taking the time to do this Debbie :) I suspect that if you can really open these cabs up soundwise and run them at limit, the SRX may pull away from the DSR. But that's just a suspicion from an SRX guy.

The Adele track was purely for the rich vocals - not the music.
I agree that the SRX would probably outrun the DSR but I have had the DSR's pretty opened up and they can really deliver...
I really wish I could do this in a nice big room or outside.... I have the property but I don't want to upset the neighbors too much. Maybe I'll take it outside....

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2016, 12:52:56 pm »

If he is selling them, and you don't want them, I'll take em

Sent from my D6708 using Tapatalk

He told me today he is selling all 4 and I think I'm going to buy the bundle myself. The SRX812's and PRX715XLF's have been gigged twice and used only for rehearsal and the pricing is right ( and of course I've checked them all out)... If I change my mind Brandon, you'll be the first to know!
Not sure if I have much use for the subs - although I am surprised how much wallop they pack...so I might not keep them ( don't suppose there is quite as much excitement about that ..LOL)

Steve Garris

« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2016, 12:54:50 pm »

Fantastic review Debbie! Thanks  :D

Bill Hornibrook

« Reply #28 on: April 04, 2016, 01:00:37 pm »

Not sure if I have much use for the subs - although I am surprised how much wallop they pack...so I might not keep them ( don't suppose there is quite as much excitement about that ..LOL)
Actually it's been something I've been thinking about picking up for my mobile weeknight karaoke show. But the timing's wrong - April 15th is coming up and I'm gonna owe thousands :(

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #29 on: April 04, 2016, 01:24:56 pm »

Fantastic review Debbie! Thanks  :D

You are welcome!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: April 04, 2016, 01:24:56 pm »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Up

Page created in 0.056 seconds with 22 queries.