ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Combining different subs?  (Read 12013 times)

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
Re: Combining different subs?
« Reply #30 on: April 08, 2016, 01:17:51 PM »

TH118 looks great! :) Little curious about why the 30hz is 8dB down instead of 4 like the datasheet says. Could be something do with my setup not passing full 20hz pink noise into amp? Need to bypass DSP/mixer and see.
The way the Danley subs are measured is in a large open area.

The measurement system goes straight into the amp-no DSP-no mixer-no filiters-no HP or LP -no processing of any kind, etc.

So all we get is the response of the cabinet.  The cabinet is on the ground and so is the mic at a distance of 10M.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #31 on: April 08, 2016, 01:19:35 PM »

Consider me taught. It was a thought and instead of trying that, I'll sell off my Meyer 650's and try to get another DBH218 pair. But money's tight this year. Lack of money makes you try things that just waste time. Thanks for saving me some.

It's bad commercial decision but it can be a brilliant learning exercise.  Just don't expect it to result in long term satisfaction or cost savings.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Art Welter

• Santa Fe, New Mexico
« Reply #32 on: April 08, 2016, 01:28:25 PM »

1) Setup in my driveway facing the street. Not ideal as the house was behind speaker stack, trailer 25' away to the left, mic ~15' in front laying on ground (still concerned with low freq mainly), fence/trees to the right 50', house 5' behind speakers, furthest house/object in front was me @ 40' then street then houses @ 150'. Not ideal I know, but the results came out pretty good I think.
2) Little curious about why the 30hz is 8dB down instead of 4 like the datasheet says. Could be something do with my setup not passing full 20hz pink noise into amp?
3)After fiddling with it for a long while I finally figured out that I should delay the TH18/SRX because the 181 has 40ms of Delay on the impulse response for some reason (DSP I'm assuming, or built in so that it sounds good with K-series and not other speakers...?
4)End product was pretty good if I do say so myself :)
Nathan,

1) With so many boundaries near, measuring the subs at 2 meters rather than 15 feet would give results more indicative of the actual sub response.
2) DSL never posted a new response curve when they changed from 18sound to the B&C18SW115-4 driver in the TH-118, which could account for the difference. Ivan recently posted a response curve of TH-118 in the "PROOF" post in the sub forum, it looks like his test shows 31.5 Hz -11dB from 50 Hz, while the spec sheet shows 30 Hz around -7dB from 50 Hz, also a -4 dB difference. Your mic could be down in response at 30 Hz, and the proximity to buildings could be boosting the upper level response,  the combination of the above could easily account for the differences.
3) I would not delay the other cabinets based on that impulse response.
4) Pretty good if you were aiming for a cartoon-like 12dB bass boost  ;) .

Art
« Last Edit: April 08, 2016, 01:57:28 PM by Art Welter »

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
« Reply #33 on: April 08, 2016, 03:44:01 PM »

Nathan,
1) With so many boundaries near, measuring the subs at 2 meters rather than 15 feet would give results more indicative of the actual sub response.
2) DSL never posted a new response curve when they changed from 18sound to the B&C18SW115-4 driver in the TH-118, which could account for the difference. Ivan recently posted a response curve of TH-118 in the "PROOF" post in the sub forum, it looks like his test shows 31.5 Hz -11dB from 50 Hz, while the spec sheet shows 30 Hz around -7dB from 50 Hz, also a -4 dB difference. Your mic could be down in response at 30 Hz, and the proximity to buildings could be boosting the upper level response,  the combination of the above could easily account for the differences.
3) I would not delay the other cabinets based on that impulse response.
4) Pretty good if you were aiming for a cartoon-like 12dB bass boost  ;) .
Art

Hi Art,

1) I just re-measured it was closer to 12' I'm terrible with eyeballing distances...Thats why I bought a laser tape measure... haha.

2) It could be any number of things, and i'm not skilled enough to know/point them out. Thanks for the analysis; I'm sure you're close to the answer. -4dB isn't much *shrug.* my point with this is that the TH18 graph is looking much better than the last measurements. and to me, it dispels any thoughts that the 181 is better... the TH18 has such a flat response and goes down to 30hz effortlessly.

3) well I didn't delay based on the impulse response alone. I felt it gave a clue to the correct delay. I still have a hard time grasping the phase alignment stuff even after watching tons of Timo's videos, and reading articles etc. Currently, I sorta guess and then watch the graph for nulls. It's probably a bit better than turning the subs/mains on and gaining up and setting an 80hz xover, but not much. Still pretty lines right?

4) haha, I want to get to the point of a flat (blank canvas) response. Still learning how to do this well though. I tried it a bit at my last gig. I didn't like the low shelf as it was boosting too much of the 150hz range and sounded bad. So, instead I opted for a bell around 50hz.

For now with the music playback it sounded good/balanced at low volumes. We shall see in a venue though I guess.

Agree completely with Tim.
Sell the shit that doesn't meet your needs, and replace with stuff that does.
This has been a fun experiment, lots of pretty pictures, and time.
Time you could have been earning.......

You are starting to learn how SMARTT works, never a bad thing.
Hobby? good for you.  Business? Not so good.
Chris.

Haha true, but this is a weekend warrior and not many weekends right now have events. So learning (as a means to earn more ;) ) was my next step.
The 181's were a freebee and can be used for DJ events where we don't need to roll out the Danley's/amp rack. They have their place for now. That and they currently reside in the trailer with all of the gear so they come with us for now.
I'm just a guy trying to do the next right thing.

This business is for people with too much energy for desk jobs and too much brain for labor jobs. - Scott Helmke

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #34 on: April 08, 2016, 04:36:48 PM »

Nathan, you're getting closer, I think, and you're well on your way to being even more confused... er, educated.

http://forums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/board,78.0.html is where you need to be.  Merlijn Van Veen is moderator.  It's where all the Smaart kids and SIMMers and SysTuners hang out.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #34 on: April 08, 2016, 04:36:48 PM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 25 queries.