Poll

Which speaker?

PRX710
- 10 (90.9%)
EON610
- 1 (9.1%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: JBL PRX710 vs EON610, what to buy for main/mon?  (Read 13375 times)

Steve Garris

Re: JBL PRX710 vs EON610, what to buy for main/mon?
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2016, 04:43:39 PM »

I own both the 710's and DXR10's. No EON's for me.
Originally bought the 710's as fill-speakers for some weddings I did last year.
They are loud, and sound decent. The angle as a floor monitor is kind of a pain, because I do (did) use them for small gigs when I don't want to bring my trailer. I use a wheel-chock from Harbor Freight to get the angle.
The DXR10's are very nice, not quite as loud as the JBL's, and the cabs are ABS, not wood. The can be used as floor wedges or pole-mounted.
Side-by-side, the JBL's win on sound quality, but as a budget/space-saving alternative, you can't go wrong with the DXR10.
My opinion, YMMV.

Good to know Rob, thanks. I've not yet heard the DXR's, but they're liked on these forums.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2016, 05:09:45 PM »

I have a couple of DXR10's and I use them for monitors and in the rehearsal room. I also own a couple of QSC K10's and they are very similar sounding (and looking). For the money, the DXR's can't be beat.
I used to own a couple of PRX612's - nice speakers, very lightweight. I imagine the PRX710's to be very capable and certainly much nicer than the EONS ( Eeeew)
Now if there was just a DSR110.......

Oh  - and I always used a dense piece of styrofoam as a brick when using the PRX as monitor..... quick, easy and light.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2016, 07:17:17 PM »

I went looking for some budget cabinets a bit ago, and although I didn't listen to the DXR's, I did listen to and work with the 710 and the new EON's. The 710 had a nice sound to it and plenty of SPL behind it. I would have no problem working these for small jobs like the average club, wedding etc..

The EONs would work fine for small clubs, acoustic acts, etc., and I wouldn't worry about them either. Plus, if you actually look at them and listen to them you'll find out real quick they aren't the EON of days gone by. Good sound, AND they look great. I don't think the band will mind what the back looks like either, being that they're the only people who will be seeing the back anyway. ::)
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Stephen Kirby

« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2016, 07:35:39 PM »

I have a couple of DXR10's and I use them for monitors and in the rehearsal room. I also own a couple of QSC K10's and they are very similar sounding (and looking). For the money, the DXR's can't be beat.
IME the K10s won't keep up with the DXRs when push comes to shove although they might be a bit warmer at coffee shop levels.  I do have a couple of K10s if anyone wants to trade so they can have all the same though.   ;D

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2016, 10:12:46 PM »

IME the K10s won't keep up with the DXRs when push comes to shove although they might be a bit warmer at coffee shop levels.  I do have a couple of K10s if anyone wants to trade so they can have all the same though.   ;D

I've never compared SPL but I don't doubt you are right. If I had known how good the DXR10's were when I was in the market for a couple of 10's a few years ago, I would have chosen them over the K10's, but I hadn't even really heard about them back then - they had only just come out.
I really feel that the whole QSC K series is over priced though -  don't get me wrong, I like them and they have served me well... I just think there are too many other options that sound as good if not better for less money...
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Steve Garris

« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2016, 10:27:42 PM »

I went looking for some budget cabinets a bit ago, and although I didn't listen to the DXR's, I did listen to and work with the 710 and the new EON's. The 710 had a nice sound to it and plenty of SPL behind it. I would have no problem working these for small jobs like the average club, wedding etc..

The EONs would work fine for small clubs, acoustic acts, etc., and I wouldn't worry about them either. Plus, if you actually look at them and listen to them you'll find out real quick they aren't the EON of days gone by. Good sound, AND they look great. I don't think the band will mind what the back looks like either, being that they're the only people who will be seeing the back anyway. ::)

Thanks for chiming in on the newer Eons Bob - the Eons don't get much love on this forum. The newest Eon's are greatly improved. I've heard the new 615, which has spec's that are very close to my PRX615's, and it sounded great. I don't know if durability has improved though.
I work at a club that has a single Eon 518 sub, and I'm always surprised at how good that sub sounds at moderate levels (I don't push it too hard).

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2016, 12:13:14 AM »

That would be a good shoot out - not me this time though... no need for anymore speakers right now... (having enough problems with the ones i've got..LOL)

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2016, 03:34:31 AM »

I think the new EONs look a million times better than any previous versions.

As an aside, I was doing sound for a duo gig a few weeks ago with someone else's equipment and was complimented on the monitor sound.  The monitors were two original model, 10" powered EONs.  I must have been doing something right!

Steve.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2016, 03:36:54 AM by Steve M Smith »

Scott Bolt

« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2016, 08:49:11 PM »

I used to own a couple of PRX612's - nice speakers, very lightweight. I imagine the PRX710's to be very capable and certainly much nicer than the EONS ( Eeeew)
Now if there was just a DSR110.......

Oh  - and I always used a dense piece of styrofoam as a brick when using the PRX as monitor..... quick, easy and light.

LMAO. Eeeew indeed ;)

I was thinking it, but didn't write it down like you did.  Thanks for the chuckle Debbie.

Scott Bolt

« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2016, 08:53:12 PM »

Maybe so Bob.  In all fairness, I haven't heard the latest rev.  You are correct though.  My "Eeeew" feelings are based on past experiences with the EON's.

Sadly, just like my experiences with Fiat cars in the 80's, It is hard for me to say "EON" without making a face ;)

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2016, 08:53:12 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 27 queries.