ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Using XLR (mic) cables as speaker cables  (Read 11791 times)

paul bell

Re: Using XLR (mic) cables as speaker cables
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2016, 09:50:55 AM »

As I recall, early Turbo Sound speakers had XLR connectors.

I assumed anybody using them would have a case of XLR mic cables and XLR speaker cables that were of the proper gauge for speaker power use and un-shielded. It was just way too easy to mix them up.

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2016, 11:51:27 AM »

As I recall, early Turbo Sound speakers had XLR connectors.

I assumed anybody using them would have a case of XLR mic cables and XLR speaker cables that were of the proper gauge for speaker power use and un-shielded. It was just way too easy to mix them up.
I used to color code mine, so the speakers didn't get mixed up with the mics.

The problem with "proper sized" XLRs is that most XLRs (of the time anyway) would not accept anything larger than 18ga.

I used to hunt down (mainly at Ham fests) the Cannon Xlrs.

I would remove the rubber boot and you could get 16 ga sepaker wire in them.  THey still had a screw down clamp so the cable was secure.

Switchcrafts had to clamp if you removed the boot.

The only way to get 12 ga was to go to the much  more expensive NEMA AC type plugs.

I was happy when the EP connectors came out.  NOW we could get proper wire into them. 
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Pete Erskine

• Best Audio
« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2016, 11:57:28 AM »

Yes, the shop I started at in 1976 (Pete Erskine was one of the owners) used mic cable for speakers.

Pre Theatre Tech, Lou and I worked for the New York Shakespeare Festival running the newly established sound shop.  We used XLR mic cable there too.  Males on the amps and females on the speakers to help avoid plugging a mic into the amp output.

One day I was setting up the sound system in the Other Stage (a black box) and had just plugged in the amp.  I turned up the volume and only heard a very tinny sound coming from the stage...Walking out onto the floor I realized it was all coming from the AKG dynamic dressing room monitor mic over the stage.  Opps...Luckily it was able to handle the power and was not hurt.  So much for male female protection.

As convenient as using mic cables as speaker cable is, their small wire size and danger of mixing them with mics should be enough to stop that use.

Now don't get in the mindset that Monster cables are the best way to go...a nice 14 or better 12 gauge is best.
Pete Erskine
917-750-1134
www.bestaudio.com
[email protected]

Art Welter

• Santa Fe, New Mexico
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2016, 02:39:44 PM »

I was happy when the EP connectors came out.  NOW we could get proper wire into them.
NOW was a lot earlier than you were aware of them THEN  ;).

The 1955 Cannon catalog listed their P series connectors, available from 2 to 6 contact inserts. Alcatel and Amphenol still make the connectors as the EP series with a metal shell and the AP series with a plastic shell.

The Speakon designers used the same hole/screw pattern as the more expensive older connectors.

Art

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2016, 02:39:44 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.024 seconds with 24 queries.