ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: need help connecting QL5 to DVS  (Read 14355 times)

David Sturzenbecher

• So. Dak.
    • Sturz Audio
Re: need help connecting QL5 to DVS
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2016, 08:55:34 AM »

Thanks Rob and Casey.  The old Netgear switch was just a stand-in.  Will something like the Netgear GS605 work well?

Kirby,
Not all switches are made equal, in general there are dumb switches, like the GS605 which has no configuration at all, Layer 2 switches and Layer 3 switches.  If you really want to merge wireless control and dante on the same network, you need a switch that can be set up properly to accommodate that. Yamaha has step by step setup instructions for the cisco SG-300 series switches which have Layer 3 configurations.    The lowest entry point being the SG-300-10.   Unless you are able to translate the Yamaha SG-300 set up instructions over to another brand...just do yourself a favor and get the switch they recommend.

Here is a link to the yamaha switch setup instructions for wireless.  You will want to follow the settings all the way through to "multicast settings" on the left

http://www.yamahaproaudio.com/global/en/training_support/selftraining/dante_guide/chapter2/01_network_switch/

Audio Systems Design Engineer
Daktronics, Inc.
CTS-D, CTS-I
AES Full Member

Josh Millward

• Meridian, MS
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2016, 12:29:02 PM »

Kirby,
Not all switches are made equal, in general there are dumb switches, like the GS605 which has no configuration at all, Layer 2 switches and Layer 3 switches.  If you really want to merge wireless control and dante on the same network, you need a switch that can be set up properly to accommodate that. Yamaha has step by step setup instructions for the cisco SG-300 series switches which have Layer 3 configurations.    The lowest entry point being the SG-300-10.   Unless you are able to translate the Yamaha SG-300 set up instructions over to another brand...just do yourself a favor and get the switch they recommend.

Here is a link to the yamaha switch setup instructions for wireless.  You will want to follow the settings all the way through to "multicast settings" on the left

http://www.yamahaproaudio.com/global/en/training_support/selftraining/dante_guide/chapter2/01_network_switch/

Yes. This.

I'm quoting David because he is absolutely on point here.

I have an SG300-10 in my office for my Dante network. I have all the Dante ports on the Danley DNA Dante connected amplifiers, DSP, and my Midas M32 with Dante card connected to the SG300-10 (configured per Yamaha's recommendations). Then I have the control ports of all these devices connected to a dumb Netgear GS108. I linked the two network switches together. I allowed everything on the network to use AutoIP and I can control and manage everything from a single port on my computer. I also hung an Apple Airport Express from the GS108 to allow wireless connectivity to control the amplifiers and mixing console.

This seems to be a very robust setup and has been very solid since I set it up.
Josh Millward
Danley Sound Labs

Cailen Waddell

« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2016, 01:14:43 PM »

Yes. This.

I'm quoting David because he is absolutely on point here.

I have an SG300-10 in my office for my Dante network. I have all the Dante ports on the Danley DNA Dante connected amplifiers, DSP, and my Midas M32 with Dante card connected to the SG300-10 (configured per Yamaha's recommendations). Then I have the control ports of all these devices connected to a dumb Netgear GS108. I linked the two network switches together. I allowed everything on the network to use AutoIP and I can control and manage everything from a single port on my computer. I also hung an Apple Airport Express from the GS108 to allow wireless connectivity to control the amplifiers and mixing console.

This seems to be a very robust setup and has been very solid since I set it up.

Yes - this. 

This is essentially our setup in one of our small theaters with a CL1, 2 Stage boxes, etc.  2switches.   Works great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2016, 01:35:17 PM »

I have been running a simple setup with Dante and wifi together for years. Well before Yamaha came out with Dante native consoles.

I understand why manufacturers make recommendations as they do because they have tested the specific configuration. It does not mean that other configurations don't work.

If it is a simple setup, console, a Dante port, a stage box and a laptop, traffic levels are small compared to capacity.

I use a Netgear WNDR 3700 (actually several). It lets me turn off the 2.4gHz radio. I don't need to hide the network. I never connect the audio net to the Internet in the field. I can record 32 tracks while operating 2 iPads for console mixing and have never had anything close to a problem for the past 4 years.

For a simple setup, no need to overthink it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

frank kayser

• Maryland suburbs of Washington DC
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2016, 08:44:14 PM »

I have been running a simple setup with Dante and wifi together for years. Well before Yamaha came out with Dante native consoles.

I understand why manufacturers make recommendations as they do because they have tested the specific configuration. It does not mean that other configurations don't work.

If it is a simple setup, console, a Dante port, a stage box and a laptop, traffic levels are small compared to capacity.

I use a Netgear WNDR 3700 (actually several). It lets me turn off the 2.4gHz radio. I don't need to hide the network. I never connect the audio net to the Internet in the field. I can record 32 tracks while operating 2 iPads for console mixing and have never had anything close to a problem for the past 4 years.

For a simple setup, no need to overthink it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
If Yamaha and Dante don't want WiFi traffic on the network, one can use a managed switch to create a couple vLans and I know Kirby has an access point that will allow vlan identification and tagging.  While on the same wire, the two data streams (audio and control) will never "see" each other.
frank

David Sturzenbecher

• So. Dak.
    • Sturz Audio
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2016, 09:41:35 PM »

If Yamaha and Dante don't want WiFi traffic on the network, one can use a managed switch to create a couple vLans and I know Kirby has an access point that will allow vlan identification and tagging.  While on the same wire, the two data streams (audio and control) will never "see" each other.
frank

I think its off base to say "Yamaha and Dante don't want WiFi traffic on the network".   It just requires a little extra setup to have an access point on your network.   From the link I provided earlier, here is Yamaha's recommendation for how to handle Dante with a wireless access point on the network...   

if Wi-Fi access is used within the Dante network, we recommend that you register the multicast address used for detecting devices (multicast isn’t only used for audio transmission). When the network is accessed over Wi-Fi, it’s possible that IGMP messages will not be properly transferred via some types of access point. In that case, devices will not be detected through the access point because IGMP snooping will not be working properly. To prevent this from happening, you should register the corresponding multicast address beforehand in order to detect devices reliably. Apply the setting only to the switches that access points will be connected to by following the procedure below.

There are more details and full instructions in the link.   I will be the first to admit....I don't know exactly what everything in that document means.   But at the level where I work...i know enough to do what I am told when it comes to this type of thing.
Audio Systems Design Engineer
Daktronics, Inc.
CTS-D, CTS-I
AES Full Member

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2016, 09:41:35 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 23 queries.