ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Quarter in the front/ half'r in the back? Diversity antenna question  (Read 3655 times)

Woody Nuss

• Santa Monica, CA

Client has added two Shure BLX units for her dance studio. The receivers will be rack mounted in a wood rack along with a dual-well CD player, a single rack space line mixer, and a pair of rack drawers. The rack is located at the foot of a three foot high stage placing the units at floor level of the stage- stage right. The distance across stage is 35 feet and the distance to the back of the dance floor is 50 feet. Highly reflective room with mirrors and tiles on walls and ceiling, wood floor. Standard sm58 transmitter and/or headset mic beltpack.

The units come with 1/4 waves and the client also has two half wave antenna that match the frequency range of the new units. I mounted one pair of the 1/4 waves on the front of the units facing away from the stage on the A antenna inputs and placed the two half wave's on the B input mounted directly to the backs of the receivers which are facing the transmitters. I chose to place the 1/4 in the front because they are less likely to get bent, broken, or fall down. When placed in the back of the rack, the half waves stick out straight or allow a lesser degree of V shape spread.

They do not want to purchase antenna cables and there is no desirable place to mount the half waves and route cables. My question is what is best practice in this situation:

1) all four 1/4 waves mounted in the rear inside the wood rack
2) two 1/4 in front on A, two 1/4 in back on B
3) two 1/4 in front on A, two 1/2 waves in back on B (the way I selected)
4) passive splitter with two 1/4 in front
5) passive splitter with two 1/2 in back. (don't want the 1/2 in front due to damage risk)

I tested the setup with the 1/4's in front and the 1/2's in the back and the reception is solid without dropouts, but what is the best option?

Thanks in advance...

« Last Edit: March 19, 2016, 11:48:54 PM by Woody Nuss »

John Rutirasiri

Re: Quarter in the front/ half'r in the back? Diversity antenna question
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2016, 12:11:28 AM »

but what is the best option?

6) Wired mics.

Seriously, I don't think you'll have a problem with any of the options listed at 35-50ft line of sight.  Half wave is better if it fits in the rack and can be positioned upright (not pointed straight to the back.)

John R.
ClearImpact Sound & Event Services, Inc.
Sound/Lighting/Corporate A/V

"If it ain't broke, make it better."

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2016, 06:56:37 AM »

I tested the setup with the 1/4's in front and the 1/2's in the back and the reception is solid without dropouts, but what is the best option?
If it works well then what is the question?
I don't care enough to be apathetic

Woody Nuss

• Santa Monica, CA
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2016, 01:35:13 PM »

The question is: can I mix 1/4 and 1/2 wave antenna? Just because it passes signal doesn't mean it's correct in regards to s/n and noise floor.

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2016, 01:42:32 PM »

The question is: can I mix 1/4 and 1/2 wave antenna? Just because it passes signal doesn't mean it's correct in regards to s/n and noise floor.
OK..that's a bit more specific :)
If you are getting good RF reception, I don't se that mixing 1/4 amd 1/2 wave sticks is an issue.
I don't care enough to be apathetic

Scott Helmke

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2016, 10:07:13 AM »

It'll be fine, and there's no issue with mixing antenna types.

Be ready to repair the headset mic cables on the regular basis. My local aerobics clients tend to wear out a cable every 1-2 months.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2016, 10:07:13 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.065 seconds with 24 queries.