ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Crown I-techs on Danleys  (Read 6029 times)

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Re: Crown I-techs on Danleys
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2016, 03:23:52 PM »

25,000 sq ft...117' x 214' deep....either way the client is expecting to see 4 tops and 4 subs

You can take what the customer expects (did they order it or did you propose it?) and it's up to you to send a signal to the parts that provide the best coverage and meets the client's actual need, as opposed to the client's visual expectation.

So stack 'em up, wire 'em up, but turn down/off the amp channels that aren't needed.  I'd run any "unnecessary" boxes at a low level just so they're on and working if the client decides to put his/her head in front of one.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Tamar Ghobria

« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2016, 03:28:31 PM »

Putting that aside my question is about the I-techs and running them at 2ohms....

John Rutirasiri

« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2016, 03:46:48 PM »

....I would be happy to here suggestions of different amps if the I-techs don't perform well in this configuration...Or if I need to upgrade to a I-Tech 8000....Thanks in advance

Itech amps have no problem driving 2 Ohm loads all day long.  I normally run 4x TH118s per IT12000 doing summertime outdoor EDM shows.

I believe in having ample headroom and not driving your amp near clip.  The IT6000 is rated at 2500W/ch into 2 Ohm.  I would get another IT6000 for your two other TH118s.  You could sell your IT6000 and get an IT8000 or IT12000, but having two amps is better than relying on one.

John R.
ClearImpact Sound & Event Services, Inc.
Sound/Lighting/Corporate A/V

"If it ain't broke, make it better."

Scott Carneval

• Precision Audio
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2016, 08:14:14 AM »

The amps will be fine. You could use some more power to the subs, but realistically if you double the power you stand to gain 3db. If 3db will make or break your show you have the wrong setup. Center cluster your subs and you'll make the 3db right back

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mike Pyle

• Santa Rosa, CA
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2016, 03:16:57 PM »

25,000 sq ft...117' x 214' deep....either way the client is expecting to see 4 tops and 4 subs

I don't think 2 SM80s per side is a good setup for a room 117' wide and 214' deep. If the PA were on the long wall it would make sense. How high is the ceiling?

The iTechs current limit into 2 ohm loads, so at full amp output the power available to each cabinet is greatly reduced compared to running fewer cabinets with a total impedance of 4 ohms. You would definitely need another amp to properly power 4 of the subs.
Mike Pyle  Audiopyle Sound  707-315-6204
Dealer For: JBL, Soundcraft, Crown, dbx, AKG, Yorkville, EV, QSC, RCF, FBT, Danley Sound Labs, Meyer Sound, Fulcrum Acoustic, Tannoy, Lab Gruppen, Powersoft, Linea Research, EAW, Allen & Heath, Ashly, APB, Audix, One Systems, Presonus, K&M, Ultimate, Global Truss, Intellistage, SKB, Gator, Radial Engineering, Turbosound, Midas, dB Technologies, American DJ, Odyssey, ProCo, Rapco, CBI, Elation, Mipro, Chauvet, Blizzard, Shure, Whirlwind, Bassboss, Yamaha, Line 6, Behringer, On-Stage, more...

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2016, 03:56:11 PM »

I don't think 2 SM80s per side is a good setup for a room 117' wide and 214' deep. If the PA were on the long wall it would make sense. How high is the ceiling?

The iTechs current limit into 2 ohm loads, so at full amp output the power available to each cabinet is greatly reduced compared to running fewer cabinets with a total impedance of 4 ohms. You would definitely need another amp to properly power 4 of the subs.

The ITech is optimized for use at "4 Ohms".  They will current-limit there, too.   If you can run them on 208v-240v you get more no matter the load impedance.  If you have actual impedance (not just nominal rating) below 4 Ohms I'd really want the higher mains voltage (or another ITech on another AC circuit).
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Art Welter

• Santa Fe, New Mexico
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2016, 05:35:26 PM »

Putting that aside my question is about the I-techs and running them at 2ohms....
The I Tech 6000 only puts out 2500 watts at 2 ohms compared to 3000 at 4 ohms. 3000 watts peak is a reasonable amount of power for the TH-18.
1250 watts per sub is a reduction of a bit more than 3 dB, so the 3dB you gain from doubling the cabinets is nullified by having less than half the power available to them. A pair of TH-18 run off the amp would actually be slightly louder (not allowing for power compression) than four run off that amp.

Get a second amp for the additional subs to get a 6 dB increase in level.

eric lenasbunt

• Bunt Backline Event Services, LLC
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2016, 09:20:13 PM »

Would it make more sense to use the second pair as delays halfway down the room?

Tamar Ghobria

« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2016, 09:31:55 PM »

Not enough coverage? Or because of the amps?

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2016, 10:52:35 PM »

Not enough coverage? Or because of the amps?

I'm guessing Mike is thinking "2-wide" on the SM80.

Eric brings a good suggestion about delay speakers and it has merit.  It's going to be very loud up front if you try to make it 200'.  While the Danley boxes "hold together" nicely they don't have a way of negating the inverse square law (yet, anyway).  Clear sound is good but it's got to get above the crowd buzz in the back of the room without nailing the folks up front.

Regarding amps:  what's the program material?  Here's the dirty little secret:  if you put 2500W continuous into your speakers you'll have a very short show.  If you put 600W continuous into them, you're likely to be in power compression by a couple dB after about 15-30 minutes of operation and throwing more continuous level at them will generate disproportionately more heat than SPL.  Ivan can probably give you specific information about power compression that applies to the TH118; mine is intended for general discussion.

Also another thought about current limiting - this is done to keep the UL rating for the 20 amp supply cord and power inlet.  If you finagle 240v service to your ITechs you'll get 3dB more output before current limiting kicks in.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2016, 10:52:35 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.054 seconds with 24 queries.